What's new

Eileen Gu Enrages Nationalists by Taking U.S. Olympics Role

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States

Two competing hashtags about Eileen Gu are trending on Weibo, China's main social media website, after the ski star said she didn't regret representing her mother's homeland at the recent Winter Olympic Games—and then announced an ambassadorial role as part of a United States Olympic bid.

The California-born athlete, also known in China as Gu Ailing, became China's poster child when she took home two golds and one silver in freestyle skiing at the Beijing Games in February. Her sporting success was widely celebrated by the Chinese public and was significant for the country's ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP), too.

Speaking at the Time 100 gala on Tuesday, Gu said she chose to represent China "to inspire young girls" in a country where winter sports are only just taking off. "No, I don't have any regrets," she told the magazine's Sean Gregory in New York.

"I am actually an ambassador for the Salt Lake City 2030 Olympic bid," Gu said when asked about the prospect of competing for Team USA in the future. "I think that's this beautiful example of globalism, and of the capacity that we can use skiing, we can use sport and we can use winter sport to connect people."

On Weibo, a site that boasted more than 570 million active monthly users in 2021, Gu's comments went viral. One hashtag—"Gu Ailing has never regretted representing China"—was read 120 million times in six hours since Wednesday morning local time, according to the website's statistics.

Another—"Gu Ailing to serve as ambassador for U.S. Olympic bid"—was read 300 million times over the same period, the data showed.

The online engagement showed that, if nothing else, Gu's decision to become a Salt Lake City envoy has divided opinion, her every move already being scrutinized under the lens of wider geopolitical friction between Washington and Beijing.

Tom Kelly, a spokesperson for the Salt Lake City bid committee said that Gu would act as an "athlete representative," but the "exact title" of her role had yet to be decided.

For nationalists in both countries, the controversy surrounding Gu goes beyond her 2019 decision to ski for Team China at the Winter Olympics earlier this year, a move she said was supported by her peers in the U.S.

Gu says she's American when she's stateside and Chinese when in China, but some don't find this idyllic coexistence easy to accept. The teenager is caught between two rival polities, both of which readily latch on to opportunities to question her loyalty.

At the games in Beijing, Gu told reporters she wasn't going to waste her time "trying to placate people who are uneducated." She has largely stayed out of politics.

Emblematic of the controversy is Gu's legal status. She's thought to have acquired Chinese citizenship sometime after 2019 to enable her to compete for China. However, the country doesn't recognize dual nationality, meaning she would have to had renounced her U.S. citizenship to become legally Chinese.

The Federal Register publishes a quarterly list of individuals who have "chosen to expatriate." Gu's name has not appeared on any of the lists to date, including the latest dated April 20.

Many in China are satisfied with the thought that Beijing wouldn't create a legal exemption just for Gu. But for Chinese nationalists, dual nationality, even if it were allowed, wouldn't be satisfactory.

During the recent Winter Games, prominent commentators warned their fellow citizens not to get too attached to Gu; where her allegiances truly lie would be clear after the competition, depending on where she chose to live, they said. Gu is expected to begin college at Stanford this fall.

In early April, at a gathering of athletes and CCP officials to celebrate China's achievements at the Olympics, President Xi Jinping mentioned Gu by name and referenced her love of Chinese pies—another moment that went viral online.

Two weeks later, as Shanghai went into a COVID lockdown and infections in Beijing began to tick up, Gu shared Instagram stories showing her and her family on a private jet out of the capital.

"I'd only recognize her Chinese bloodline if her father were Chinese. Being legally Chinese is something else; hyping her up as Chinese is meaningless. China has so many excellent homegrown athletes—why her?" wrote one Weibo commentator, in an apparent reference to Gu's American father.

"For two golds and one silver, we let her rake in 200 million [Chinese yuan ($30 million)] and quietly allowed dual citizenship. Now she's having her cake and eating it at both ends," another said.

In a Twitter thread reacting to Gu's announcement, China sports analyst Mark Dreyer said he believes she was "overcompensating for her decision to represent China in 2022."

"I'm all for people trying to build bridges—especially when it comes to the challenging US-China relationship—but you can't be 'all-in' on both sides. It doesn't sit right with either side," Dreyer said.

The International Olympic Committee is expected to announce the 2030 Winter Game's host in May 2023. Japan's Sapporo and Canada's Vancouver, along with Salt Lake, are bidding to hold the event. Salt Lake is also in with a chance to host the Games in 2034 if the city's first bid fails.

Eileen Gu Risks China Fan Base With US Olympic Envoy Role​

Skier Eileen Gu’s decision to join the US bid to host a Winter Olympics sparked fierce debate in China over the American-born athlete’s split loyalties between the world’s two largest economies.

Gu’s announcement at the TIME100 Summit in New York that she’d become an ambassador for the US effort to hold the event in Salt Lake City in 2030 or 2034 was the second-most-read topic on China’s Twitter-like Weibo on Wednesday morning. A hashtag of the freeskier’s comments that she didn’t regret representing China at the Winter Olympics racked up some 26 million reads.

Her decision to endorse a US Olympic bid was seen as a betrayal by some, coming so soon after Gu won gold for China. “Is she Chinese or American?” one user wrote, while another sniped that she’d “pretended” to be Chinese to make millions in endorsements, referring to the 18-year-old’s deals with companies including JD.com Inc. and Luckin Coffee Inc.

Others were more supportive. “My friend Gu Ailing is really wonderful and makes me proud,” wrote one user, referring to the athlete by her Chinese name.

Gu shot to stardom in China by winning two gold medals and a silver at this year’s Beijing Winter Olympics, helping the nation land a record nine golds. Her success was a soft power coup for Beijing, prompting President Xi Jinping to mention her by name at an awards ceremony in April.

More nationalist voices in China were critical of Gu during the Winter Games, with former editor of the Communist Party’s Global Times newspaper Hu Xijin warning she shouldn’t be seen as a patriot because it wasn’t clear what nationality she would hold in future.

China doesn’t allow dual nationality and Gu has skirted questions about whether she gave up her US citizenship when she decided in 2019 to compete for China. She’s frequently pledged support to both China and the US, and cited creating a “shared future” of globalism as one of her main goals of competing for the Asian nation.

Last edited:
Interesting page that lists the names of all the Americans who have given up their citizenship by Qtr.

~640 1st Qtr of 2022.

~480 4th QTR of 2021
~960 3rd QTR of 2021
~880 2nd QTR of 2021
~200 1st QTR of 2021

Considering 855,000 people became US Citizens in 2021 these expatriate numbers are really insignificant.

"Promoting Naturalization: During FY 2021, USCIS welcomed 855,000 new U.S. citizens,"

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this news is also a rumor.

Gu Ailing's microblog is very quiet. Except for some netizens whose IP address is Taiwan (since this year, all Chinese social media will display IP addresses), no one is attacking her.

Why did we attack her? She is not the first Chinese athlete to serve as an Olympic ambassador of other countries. For example, Dingjunhui, a Chinese billiard player, once served as an ambassador for the London Olympic Games. Many Americans are attacking Gu ailing. Gu Ailing's role as US Olympic ambassador can ease the attack of US public opinion, which is a very correct approach.

Interesting page that lists the names of all the Americans who have given up their citizenship by Qtr.

~640 1st Qtr of 2022.

~480 4th QTR of 2021
~960 3rd QTR of 2021
~880 2nd QTR of 2021
~200 1st QTR of 2021

Considering 855,000 people became US Citizens in 2021 these expatriate numbers are really insignificant.

"Promoting Naturalization: During FY 2021, USCIS welcomed 855,000 new U.S. citizens,"

Yes, we recognize that USA is the most attractive country in the world.

Therefore, please stop attacking Gu Ailing and others.
Moreover, we ask USA to abolish the "renunciation of American citizenship tax", which in fact violates human rights and property rights.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this news is also a rumor.

Gu Ailing's microblog is very quiet. Except for some netizens whose IP address is Taiwan (since this year, all Chinese social media will display IP addresses), no one is attacking her.

Why did we attack her? She is not the first Chinese athlete to serve as an Olympic ambassador of other countries. For example, Dingjunhui, a Chinese billiard player, once served as an ambassador for the London Olympic Games. Many Americans are attacking Gu ailing. Gu Ailing's role as US Olympic ambassador can ease the attack of US public opinion, which is a very correct approach.

Yes, we recognize that USA is the most attractive country in the world.

Therefore, please stop attacking Gu Ailing and others.
Moreover, we ask USA to abolish the "renunciation of American citizenship tax", which in fact violates human rights and property rights.

Weren't you the one yapping some wacky song in this forum about her not renewing her US passport at the age of 18 and thus she has somehow forfeited her US citizenship...well the official US Government page above says different.

Weren't you the one yapping some wacky song in this forum about her not renewing her US passport at the age of 18 and thus she has somehow forfeited her US citizenship...well the official US Government page above says different.
When an American reporter finds out that Gu ailing uses an American passport, you can remind me that I am wrong.

If Gu Ailing has been using a Chinese passport, I don't know how you can prove that she still has American nationality.

I don't know why Americans and top US politicians and TV hosts are so obssessed with her, it's becoming increasingly laughable.

I don't know why Americans and top US politicians and TV hosts are so obssessed with her, it's becoming increasingly laughable.

LOL! You were the one who started posting the Eileen Gu threads on PDF when it looked like she ditched her US citizenship to play for the China team.

Teenage superstar Eileen Gu stuns America with defection to China​

Now that this has been determined to not be true any future posts talking about her will now be deemed an "obsession".

Meanwhile the above 10 page thread is fine....

Last edited:
LOL! You were the one who started posting the Eileen Gu threads on PDF when it looked like she ditched her US citizenship to play for the China team.

Now that this has been determined to not be true any future posts talking about her will now be deemed an "obsession".
I posted stories that top US politicians and TV hosts attacking her after she representing China in the olympics, it's very weird, do US politicians and celebrities not have anything else to do? They have a country and government to run.

I posted stories that top US politicians and TV hosts attacking her after she representing China in the olympics, it's very weird, do US politicians and celebrities not have anything else to do? They have a country and government to run.

..and I'll post stories about angry Chinese nationalists who feel betrayed that she moved back to America...and that the Chinese Government misled them on her citizenship status by not clarifying she was just "on loan".

..and I'll post stories about angry Chinese nationalists who feel betrayed that she moved back to America...and that the Chinese Government misled them on her citizenship status.
Public voice there crazy ideas on the social media everywhere in this world, which is very normal, but top politicians and renowned TV hosts spend time and emotions on a teenager athlete, which is at least so odd if happened in China, they have their day jobs to do.

Public voice there crazy ideas on the social media everywhere in this world, which is very normal, but top politicians and renowned TV hosts spend time and emotions on a teenager athlete, which is at least so odd if happened in China, they have their day jobs to do.

Well it is kind of hilarious ( as is also the case of members of their Olympic hockey team) China allowed non-citizen foreigners to play under the Chinese flag just to increase the chance of racking up the medals for national pride. In Eileen's case it worked.

But in the end just like the hockey team members those on-loan rent-an-athletes simply went back to their respective countries as their time in China was over.

Eileen Gu said her farewell...staying in China permanently was not her future...and of course this saddens many in China.

Last edited:
Two men and A Gold Digger.

Ellen Gu is not loyal to the US or China.
Ellen loyal to herself

Two men and A Gold Digger.

Ellen Gu is not loyal to the US or China.
Ellen loyal to herself

Well this was trying to be portrayed as the lost diaspora member finally returning to the fold. Showing the "great turning point" in the Chinese exodus timeline.

In the end she didn't. Now the search is on for another savior.

Last edited:
Well this was trying to be portrayed as the lost diaspora member finally returning to the fold. Showing the "great turning point".

In the end she didn't. Now the search is on for another savior.
I guess you don't know many athletes of Chinese origin playing for other nations and they are still popular in China and we cheer for them, but it seems US can't live with this situation and even top politicians and famous TV host had to have special media sessions to discuss it, that is something that really amuses me.

I guess you don't know many athletes of Chinese origin playing for other nations and they are still popular in China and we cheer for them, but it seems US can't live with this situation and even top politicians and famous TV host had to have special media sessions to discuss it, that is something that really amuses me.

As I said you were the one posting threads with "defection" in the title.

LOL! Why are you the one posting videos alluding to something more..if cheering foreign athletes is normal.

It looks like something just didn't pan out as the Chinese people had expected. Now you are all in backtrack mode. :no:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom