What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

But what is the story with the 64 total? While I have no problem with that at all and hope it comes to fruition, but was that on Arab Defense? Add those to the 54 - 72 Rafales and 52 MiG-35s and eventually the 30 + XX Su-57 and 200 F-16s and I would say that the EAF would hold up against the majority of anyone around the area. BTW, I'm surprised they haven't increased the number of the MiG-35s unless they're waiting for the AESA radar because right now, that would be the BEST aircraft for them to increase it's numbers in large quantities considering the price, even without the AESA and the Zhuk-ME. They seem to be very happy with that aircraft so I say bring that total to 100 by adding the same amount as the original order of 52.
Though the questions you have asked are from @The SC.

IMO to understand EAF replacement of old aircraft we must identify the most important change that has come due to the introduction of F-35 with IDF.

Egyptian F-16's are toothless hence EAF needs to find appropriate replacements within similar time as they need to replace old aircraft like the Mig-21 and Mirage 3/5. For this very reason EAF needs at least 250-300 aircraft within the next 3-5 years with BVR capability. So a mix fleet of both Eastern and Western fighter aircraft that are non US has been selected. The effect of this was seen by President Trump as he rightly offered upgrade package for 100 F-16's yet that did not offer any advance BVR missile though would have given EAF adequate areal deniability WWR. However this offer is yet to be accepted by EAF as this would be a huge amount at the end for a very limited aircraft. The package of upgradation of 100 F-16's would be around 6 billion USD add this to the remaining F-16's would increase it to around 10-12 billion USD spread around 4-5 years.

With an amount of 10-12 billion USD the F-16's can be replaced completely by a modern aircraft that has good BVR capability within the same time frame of the upgraded F-16's. So currently options are being carefully looked at by the EAF.
Personally selling the F-16's and Mirage 2000's would generate an other 6-8 billion USD enough to buy 50-60 Rafales. 110-120 Rafales at the end of the day is safer option against the F-35's. Now add the 5-6 billion USD saved from the initial upgrade program of 100 F-16's to order 60-70 Euro Fighter Typhon. This would give EAF approximately 90-100 aircraft.

EAF would still have 5-6 billion USD to spend on SU-35 and Mig-35 from the remaining 100-116 F-16 upgrade. This amount should be enough for an other 100 odd mix fleet of Mig's and Su 35's.

IMO to understand EAF replacement of old aircraft we must identify the most important change that has come due to the introduction of F-35 with IDF.

Egyptian F-16's are toothless hence EAF needs to find appropriate replacements within similar time as they need to replace old aircraft like the Mig-21 and Mirage 3/5. For this very reason EAF needs at least 250-300 aircraft within the next 3-5 years with BVR capability. So a mix fleet of both Eastern and Western fighter aircraft that are non US has been selected. The effect of this was seen by President Trump as he rightly offered upgrade package for 100 F-16's yet that did not offer any advance BVR missile though would have given EAF adequate areal deniability WWR. However this offer is yet to be accepted by EAF as this would be a huge amount at the end for a very limited aircraft. The package of upgradation of 100 F-16's would be around 6 billion USD add this to the remaining F-16's would increase it to around 10-12 billion USD spread around 4-5 years.

With an amount of 10-12 billion USD the F-16's can be replaced completely by a modern aircraft that has good BVR capability within the same time frame of the upgraded F-16's. So currently options are being carefully looked at by the EAF.
Personally selling the F-16's and Mirage 2000's would generate an other 6-8 billion USD enough to buy 50-60 Rafales. 110-120 Rafales at the end of the day is safer option against the F-35's. Now add the 5-6 billion USD saved from the initial upgrade program of 100 F-16's to order 60-70 Euro Fighter Typhon. This would give EAF approximately 90-100 aircraft.

EAF would still have 5-6 billion USD to spend on SU-35 and Mig-35 from the remaining 100-116 F-16 upgrade. This amount should be enough for an other 100 odd mix fleet of Mig's and Su 35's.
What you mean toothless.. the EAF F-16s have all their teeth.. missing only one tooth..HaHaHa..
Yes Egypt can sell 50 of its older F-16s but not now.. EAF has to have all it needs for replacement first.. just logical.. and BTW all the 220 or so F-15s have new engines and are pretty well maintained overall..

Last edited:
What you mean toothless.. the EAF F-16s have all their teeth.. missing only one tooth..HaHaHa..
Yes Egypt can sell 50 of its older F-16s but not now.. EAF has to have all it needs for replacement first.. just logical.. and BTW all the 220 or so F-15s have bew engines and are pretty well maintained overall..
Well the missing tooth make it difficult to chew... HaHaHa
EAF in 2018 got the new upgraded engine. F-16 are good but how good is the question in regards with modern areal threats?
Alas!!! who is Egypt's enemy?
Read the analysis below.

Well the missing tooth make it difficult to chew... HaHaHa
EAF in 2018 got the new upgraded engine. F-16 are good but how good is the question in regards with modern areal threats?
Alas!!! who is Egypt's enemy?
Read the analysis below.
A report that sticks to old data.. most of those issues have been resolved..

The EAF F-16s are still potent in many roles including dog fighting and CAS where they excel they are 4th G with 20 of them 4+

Last edited:
Egyptian Air Force already received 17 Su-35 fighter jets

https://www.airrecognition.com/inde...c6pnLKhtaqLBbc_z3LCzfuM3IaO0exCvuEHeQB4LqvCSc

Su-35-multipurpose-fighter_2560x1600.jpg

According to Air recognition, Egypt has so far received about 17 Sukhoi fighters, and it is expected to receive the last batch this year, with 13 SU-35 fighters..

Image-1-Su-35-Flanker-E-Multirole-Fighter.jpg

It is worth noting that Russia is preparing for the end of the delivery of the Egyptian deal to begin and to open the way for the unknown deal to the unknown customer, estimated at 34 Su35 fighters, whose production will start next year..

Last edited:
I don't understand Egypt's strategy with procurement. It's like they're tasting from every menu at the buffet. F-16 upgrades? I'll take some of that. Mig-29s? Could be tasty! Are those Su-35s? Yes please! Rafales? Don't mind if I do~

So put yourself in our shoes. What do you suggest we do. Show me what to order instead of going to the buffet. Now don't forget the predicament Egypt is in thanks to the bastards in Israel and the US being their submissive little dingleberry. Tell us your genius plan that you seem to know much better than the highly ranked military men with a combined 100s of years of military experience than you, me, and every member on this forum. I'll wait for your answer.

Thank you for the quote and all the info. I've been following the EAF since I was 8 years old and I am 55 now and pretty well versed in their strategies etc. The only problem is in this day and age, rumors are abound and anyone can start a website and plug in info and that even comes from our own data base locally. So finding the exact and accurate info is a must and no predictions unless you claim they are your own whish is fine.

The Mirage 2000s are done! No ifs and or buts about them. Some or many might disagree with me but compared to Rafales or Typhoons, they don't even come close simply because they were the first model Mirage 2000 ever exported. I believe there are only 8 active ones so we can eliminate them in all honesty. Replace them with Typhoons? Yes, I've always advocated that despite the anti-salad people with funny faces on their avatars because they can develop their own special ops squadron (JUST LIKE THEY DID WITH THE MIRAGE 2000) they never participated with other squadrons and had their own secret missions to conduct. So why not do the same with the Typhoons if they can afford them and keep purchasing and increasing the numbers of Rafales which are up to 54, 52 MiG-35s, eventually 64 Su-35 and contrary to the jealous individuals who keep calling the EAF's 200 F-16 toothless or whatever, they can keep thinking that and all I have to say is quote Mike Tyson - "Everyone thinks he's a tough guy until he gets punched in the face," like Israeli did in 73. Our F-16s with their vast weapons don't need to have super duper AAMRAMs to qualify them as dangerous and a HUGE asset because they are. Anyone who disagrees and takes them on will learn what Mike Tyson was talking about.

A distinctive shot of the moment of take-off of the Egyptian Kamov 52 attack helicopter from the deck of the amphibious assault ship and the command of the helicopter carrier, the Republic of Egypt Anwar Sadat L1020 Mistral.

لقطة مميزة لحظة إقلاع مروحية هجومية مصرية من طراز كاموف 52 من سطح حاملة المروحيات ميسترال

The Egyptian Air Force is the only operator outside Russia, the country that manufactures it with 46 helicopters, awaiting contracting for the naval version intended to work on carriers, which has not yet matured.

So put yourself in our shoes. What do you suggest we do. Show me what to order instead of going to the buffet.
Order one or two main platforms to base the airforce around. If you're worried about American interference, then base the force around Russian airframes. Varying your suppliers is not a bad strategy but having FIVE different airframes form your fighter squadrons is a logistic nightmare.

Order one or two main platforms to base the airforce around. If you're worried about American interference, then base the force around Russian airframes. Varying your suppliers is not a bad strategy but having FIVE different airframes form your fighter squadrons is a logistic nightmare.
Logistics nightmare
I'm allergic to this words

Logistics nightmare
I'm allergic to this words

lol, it's amazing how we hear that same line over and over and over without anyone ever providing actual, solid, articulable and certifiable proof that the Egyptian Air Force commanders and generals along with President Sisi who was a high ranking military man himself and served as the Intelligence director under Morsi and was the head of SCAF etc., etc., etc. don't know what they're doing and don't have a strategy and not only that, but they don't even explain "logistics" in detail as it pertains to having different fighter jets. What is the "logistical" aspect they're referring to? They never mention any detail except blurp out that same line over again simply because it seems to be a common theme without any shred of proof to its actual meaning!? It boggles the mind.

Why? Please explain in detail since "logistic" nightmare is a vague term. It doesn't explain exactly what you're referring about. Are you referring to different weapons and that there would be more variety to deal with? Are you referring to....oh let's say the size of the hangers? Needing different hitches for the different front landing gears to tow aircraft around? Are you referring to the fact that you would need to train more maintenance personnel? Or are you referring to compatibility with one another? Please explain in detail so we can squash this whole "logistical nightmare" once and for all because frankly we're getting tired of hearing it. Also, we have all the answers for all those questions and more.

If you're talking about data sharing? Already figured out and answered. Weapons? Big deal, once trained, it's like riding a bicycle.
Communications? There is an entire new system that Egypt works under will unify all aircraft (once they are all integrated) and so that is not an issue at all. The only problem is that the ones besides the F-16s, Rafales and E-2Cs won't be able to share rapid data under link 16 or link 11 ONLY with foreign aircraft such as the US or Greece etc. They would have a tougher time linking with Saudi Arabia and the UAE if performing joint missions since both of those countries operate under link 16 and also have other advanced comms that don't work well with the EAF's new RECS2.

Other than that, there is nothing that makes this a "logistical" nightmare. unless your definition of "logistic' is something other than what it actually means. I'm happy to discuss this since you brought it up because we've been through this in great detail including comms from ground to satellite to rapid data sharing amongst not only all airborne aircraft, but naval assets as well as the EADS and JTCS for close air support and much much more. It all started out with the Protivnik-GE high definition and Rezonance NE HD radars with the 1,100km range that @The SC posted the pic of in post 7,525 above. That radar system is tied in to a series of ground networks all connected to sending out communication at real time to ALL military assets in the field of operations.

Now, once you go back to just the fighter jets, you can see how small that issue is compared to what degree they've gone to in that much bigger asset. That's why I've been advocating for them to hopefully add the 24 Typhoons in the Italian mega deal to replace the old tired Mirage 2000 and keep the legacy of a special operations fighter jet squadrons going like they have been.

1) 200 +/- F-16
2) 52/100 MiG-29M/35
3) 54/72/100 Rafale
5) 30/64 Su-35SE
6) 8-15 Mirage 2000
7) 36 Mirage V (probably ready to be sent to Pakistan at some point)
8) 30 Alpha jets

Quite a few others have been put away in storage as part of their early retirement period. Where's the "logistical nightmare" and why conform to what others are doing?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom