What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

Apparently the EAF had done its work very well before selecting the AW-149 and AW-189, as they had an offer to try both, the Leonardo helicopters and the NH90. After carefully studying the NH90, they realized that it wasn't conducive to operating in the hostile desert and salt sea water environment of Egypt and found many flaws in that helicopter, hence they refused it and went with the Agusta Westlands.

Come to find out, the NH90 is plagued with issues because of a super large conglomerate involved in producing the helicopter. Too many suppliers and companies involved in putting that helo together that it doesn't pass quality control or its life expectancy,

It seems the Norwegians can only fly 700 hours a year out of the allotted 3900 it's supposed to fly and the Norwegian government has terminated its contract for the NH90 and will return all helicopters to the factory and claim a full refund! Incredible, and they're not the only operators having issues with that helo. Great job by the EAF and EN helicopter engineers who carefully researched, studied and tested the NH90 and were able to determine how defective it is.

Norwegians are not happy!

1654905215180.png

Too bad, it certainly has the looks of a robust helicopter.

1654905387063.png

View attachment 853066View attachment 853067View attachment 853068

If you get hit, hit it and don't care if he opens his mouth, I will attach the last card
is that 1st picture in sinai? That terrain looks vey familiar

hilary clintons diary how an american task force was diverted away from the suez canal during the 2011 reveloution using mirages and mig 21s

Apparently the EAF had done its work very well before selecting the AW-149 and AW-189, as they had an offer to try both, the Leonardo helicopters and the NH90. After carefully studying the NH90, they realized that it wasn't conducive to operating in the hostile desert and salt sea water environment of Egypt and found many flaws in that helicopter, hence they refused it and went with the Agusta Westlands.

Come to find out, the NH90 is plagued with issues because of a super large conglomerate involved in producing the helicopter. Too many suppliers and companies involved in putting that helo together that it doesn't pass quality control or its life expectancy,

It seems the Norwegians can only fly 700 hours a year out of the allotted 3900 it's supposed to fly and the Norwegian government has terminated its contract for the NH90 and will return all helicopters to the factory and claim a full refund! Incredible, and they're not the only operators having issues with that helo. Great job by the EAF and EN helicopter engineers who carefully researched, studied and tested the NH90 and were able to determine how defective it is.

Norwegians are not happy!

View attachment 853087

Too bad, it certainly has the looks of a robust helicopter.

View attachment 853090
and its overly expensive and time consuming to maintain as well

Last edited:
Who can tell me why they put boxes around the wheels like with the block 52 for example? $5 for whomever gets the right answer.

1654921086104.png

Daaaaang! Need an address to mail that $5 to!!! :D

Nice job, Foinikas on the first try nails it!
I was going to say,just in case MMM-E tries to steal it,but...

By the way that photo @joker87 posted with all the tayarat in the Egyptian Air Force,I kept looking at it last night.

We're talking about a massive Air Force. And imagine having 24 Eurofighter Typhoon there as well.

Just the trainer aircraft,for example the Alpha Jets,the Tucano and the K-8 are enough to patrol and shoot down enemy UCAVs of a certain country that brags about having a lot of them :P

About the NH-90,I read about it yesterday on Ptisi. Apparently,the Australians are frustrated about it too. And the Greek NH90s have problems.

I agree with you that's an absolutely beautiful helicopter. It's modern,it's beautiful,but the problems with the spare parts and the extremely high cost of maintenance(from what I've read)make it problematic.

By the way that photo @joker87 posted with all the tayarat in the Egyptian Air Force,I kept looking at it last night.

You know where he got it from, right? Yep, yours truly! lol I noticed he hijacks some of my "special & rare" photos and of course, that's ok.

We're talking about a massive Air Force. And imagine having 24 Eurofighter Typhoon there as well.

I had mentioned a couple of things in the post that I noticed on that chart that I thought were interesting, such as 3 out of the 25 active C-130s were strictly ELINT aircraft and in one of the know-it-all videos on YT lol, there was a claim that they're also Compass Calls C-130 which is hard to verify.

Also interesting was only 3 AN-74s. I thought they has a lot more than that, but then again we don't see them as often and also 10 Mi-24 Hinds. I've only counted 4 from all the exercises videos but of course I could be wrong. Either way, the attack + support helicopter contingency in the EAF is very strong, without a doubt and now they're finally dedicating an SAR and MEDIVAC unit with all the new AW-189s they've ordered.

Just the trainer aircraft,for example the Alpha Jets,the Tucano and the K-8 are enough to patrol and shoot down enemy UCAVs of a certain country that brags about having a lot of them :P

Yep, it looks like they'll be slowly replacing all the Tucanos with the Super Tucano (personally not crazy about that TBH) with this new joint partnership with Brazil.

The K-8s I think are great and should remain for sure, especially when they not only form a large group of trainers, but there's also a few of them that are delegated as attack aircraft and of course, the EAF Aerobatic Team in the Silver Stars which have performed in Greece a few times, BTW.

The other thing I noticed is the slightly premature addition of the Su-35s, but also the omitting of the close to 50 L-59Es. These were aircraft bought in the 80s if I'm not mistaken and used as trainers and frankly some of the better Russian-built light attack jets but almost an impossible rarity to ever see. They're not on that graph so they probably put them away in storage.

1654964276716.png

1654964306582.png

1654964358242.png

1654964390921.png

1654964434085.png

The other aircraft I don't see on that list is the AT-802 Air Tractor, originally bought by the UAE and then a portion of them supplied to Egypt. That thing seems to have been extremely valuable in the most excellent extermination of many cockrochial cretinic viral bacterial vermin trying to cross the Libyan border into Egypt. Reason being is their hourly operating cost is MUCH lower than when they send F-16s or other fighters.

These are very interesting aircraft and not sure how many are in the EAF inventory. I'd say at least 10.

1654966088109.png

Probably the goofiest-looking aircraft out there loool, but it does the job very well.

1654966254622.png

As far as the 100+ Wing Loongs and other UCAVs, they're really taken on the unmanned aircraft role pleasingly seriously and even have a few indigenous ones going. That's also nice to see, but their attrition rate is absolutely horrific! It's amazing how those things go down at such an alarming rate, not only in Egypt, but just by nature of the type of aircraft.

74 of these Grob-115 trainers must be a lot of fun for cadets to fly.

1654964611266.png

Oh and also it shows 2 UH-60 VIP Blackhawks when I'm sure they HAD 4 (since I used to have a pic showing all 4 parked in tandem on a tarmac) and we know 1 was taken out by ISIS using a MANPAD and nearly killed the former General of the Armed Forces when he arrived in it in Sinai and had just got out of the helo and was walking away when it was hit. So they should have 3 and possibly 4 if it was replaced.

1654965211714.png

1654965268685.png

Indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if they ordered more of them later, like they did with the Rafale. And speaking of the Rafale, the Typhoon surprisingly excelled in many aspects over the Rafale which really surprised me. But one of the greatest strengths of the Rafale is its payload and SPECTRA along with its data fusion.

About the NH-90,I read about it yesterday on Ptisi. Apparently,the Australians are frustrated about it too. And the Greek NH90s have problems.

I agree with you that's an absolutely beautiful helicopter. It's modern,it's beautiful,but the problems with the spare parts and the extremely high cost of maintenance(from what I've read)make it problematic.

I'm very surprised about that. Although I did read a few years ago they were having issues with it, but I figured they were going to take care of them and everything would be fine. But this has turned out to be a major problem, if almost all operators are having issues with them and now the Norwegians are returning them for a full refund...that's crazy!

How many of them does the Hellenic Navy operate?

First what happened ti the site i couldn't see the thread in the morning and in the afternoon

The K-8s I think are great and should remain for sure, especially when they not only form a large group of trainers, but there's also a few of them that are delegated as attack aircraft and of course, the EAF Aerobatic Team in the Silver Stars which have performed in Greece a few times, BTW.
I really hope that we can use JF-17 Block 3 as LIFT (lead-in-fighter-trainer ) for the replacement of K-8. JF-17 alongside M-346 can help our cadets and students to transit for F-16s and Rafales/EFT. Plus JF-17 would give us new armaments that we can use them in case of war. But I think EAF give up on Thunder aircraft.

Back
Top Bottom