What's new

Egypt Returns $2 Billion to Qatar in Sign of Growing Tensions

Well, by far most of Russia (over 85%) is not even part of Europe to begin with geographically. The area that is part of Europe (geographically) has a very different culture, mentality, history than "proper Europe". That is very well-known in Europe. Russian themselves admit that they are different from Europeans in mentality, culture, history, world view etc. This is not a discussion about race at all. An Arab born and breed in the West/USA will always be different from an Arab from the Arab world despite both being Arabs by blood. Or any other ethnic example. Same with African-Americans being different from West Africans despite both being the same genetically and if we just talk about race or physical appearance. This is because the enviroment you live in has a bigger influence for your foundation as a human than just your blood. That should be evident otherwise sons of murders would become murderers automatically. There is much more than just blood or race. Steve Jobs father is an Syrian Sunni Arab from Homs. Without ever knowing him let alone encountering him then I can easily say that him being an American has made him very different from the Syrian Arabs living in Homs.

And even if you want to talk about race or genetics then many Russian have Asian (Mongolian/Ugro-Finnic, Turkic etc.) admixture and ancestry. But that has no relevance in this discussion or what I and Flamer84 were referring to.;)

@flamer84 can probably explain more of it and elaborate further what we mean.

Regarding Qatar's enormous influence given its size and population. Tiny part of their investments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgG_LTwrL_E

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand your point.

French are terribly different than Germans . ANd they are very different than English people. Having lived in Netherlands, well it is amazing the differences too. If i go Spain or South Italy, there is a huge difference with North Europe.
But still they are all Europe.

The History of these countries is mixed with royal families, and strong diplomatic relations (sometimes wars).

Can we say that soviet system was creating a wall between them ?

I will let the great american general George S. Patton explain it better.Quote from him:

"The difficulty in understanding the Russians is that we do not take cognizance of the fact that he is not a European, but an Asiatic, and therefore thinks deviously. We can no more understand a Russian than a Chinaman or a Japanese, and from what I have seen of them, I have no particular desire to understand them, except to ascertain how much lead or iron it takes to kill them. In addition to his other Asiatic characteristics, the Russian have no regard for human life and is an all out son of *****, barbarian, and chronic drunk."

I understand your point.

French are terribly different than Germans . ANd they are very different than English people. Having lived in Netherlands, well it is amazing the differences too. If i go Spain or South Italy, there is a huge difference with North Europe.
But still they are all Europe.

The History of these countries is mixed with royal families, and strong diplomatic relations (sometimes wars).

Can we say that soviet system was creating a wall between them ?

Well, this would require a long discussion but I understand your point. But "European" is not a homogenous word let alone a well-defined one. But if we just look at geography, mentality, culture, history and to some extent GENETICS (not the same as race even) then you will realize that the differences between the European part of Russia (I do not even include the 85% of Russia that is not part of Europe at all) are far, far, far bigger than differences between countries or people in Western Europe.

The Soviet Union has little to do with all those differences but it is correct that this divide played a certain role. But the Central Europeans/Eastern Europeans that were part of the Warsaw Pact still quickly upheld their ties to Western and Central Europe or proper Europe as I like to call it. The Russians will never do that because they are so different. Also politically even and how they view the world.

Russia were never part of all the European empires, the two most famous civilizations from Europe (Greek and Roman) and they only slightly came under Byzantine influence when the Kievan Rus' converted to Orthodox Christianity. Still after that they were very different from any other Europeans. There was always a gap.

You should read the accounts of European and non-European diplomats that described the differences between Europe and Russia. You just have to read about the Arab and Muslim accounts of Europeans and the differences between Europe and Russia.

Commonly what binds Western Europe/Central Europe/Southern Europe/ together is them all being very influenced by the Romans and to some extent the Greek. Or the later German empires (include Scandinavia here).

Roman law especially. Anyway this is not the topic but I am sure that some European users here can elaborate further.

Besides Russia unlike most of Europe is still totalitarian today and never had the same revolutions, adopted the ideologies that came from the West or many other things.

Or the political currents that have shaped Europe and continue to shape it today. That is probably one of the most important aspects in the clear differences I pointed out. Which are btw. well-known among historians etc.

Russia were never part of all the European empires, the two most famous civilizations from Europe (Greek and Roman) and they only slightly came under Byzantine influence when the Kievan Rus' converted to Orthodox Christianity. Still after that they were very different from any other Europeans. There was always a gap.

About that...funny story :

"The Primary Chronicle reports that, in the year 986, Vladimir met with representatives from several religions. The result is amusingly described in the following apocryphal anecdote. Upon the meeting with Muslim Bulgarians of the Volga, Vladimir found their religion unsuitable due to its requirement to circumcise and taboos against alcoholic beverages and pork; supposedly, Vladimir said on that occasion: "Drinking is the joy of the Rus', we can't go without it." He also consulted with Jewish envoys (who may or may not have been Khazars), questioned them about their religion but ultimately rejected it, saying that their loss of Jerusalem was evidence of their having been abandoned by God"

Christianization of Kievan Rus' - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lol,they would have been muslims if not for the alcohol ban :rofl:

Just out of curiosity.. What is the difference between Qatar and Saudi Arabia on Egypt policy? and Why? @Yzd Khalifa @al-Hasani
would you guys shed some light on this? Correct me if i am wrong but there are also some differences between those 2 countries on Syria policy too, right?

About that...funny story :

"The Primary Chronicle reports that, in the year 986, Vladimir met with representatives from several religions. The result is amusingly described in the following apocryphal anecdote. Upon the meeting with Muslim Bulgarians of the Volga, Vladimir found their religion unsuitable due to its requirement to circumcise and taboos against alcoholic beverages and pork; supposedly, Vladimir said on that occasion: "Drinking is the joy of the Rus', we can't go without it." He also consulted with Jewish envoys (who may or may not have been Khazars), questioned them about their religion but ultimately rejected it, saying that their loss of Jerusalem was evidence of their having been abandoned by God"

Christianization of Kievan Rus' - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lol,they would have been muslims if not for the alcohol ban :rofl:

Well Arabs were also fond of drinking in pre-Islamic times. In fact us Semitic people invented alcohol and beer.

Alcohol itself derives from the Arabic word.

Word History: The al- in alcohol may alert some readers to the fact that this is a word of Arabic descent, as is the case with algebra and alkali, al- being the Arabic definite article corresponding to the in English. The origin of -cohol is less obvious, however. Its Arabic ancestor was kul, a fine powder most often made from antimony and used by women to darken their eyelids; in fact, kul has given us the word kohl for such a preparation. Arabic chemists came to use al-kul to mean "any fine powder produced in a number of ways, including the process of heating a substance to a gaseous state and then recooling it." The English word alcohol, derived through Medieval Latin from Arabic, is first recorded in 1543 in this sense. Arabic chemists also used al-kul to refer to other substances such as essences that were obtained by distillation, a sense first found for English alcohol in 1672. One of these distilled essences, known as "alcohol of wine," is the constituent of fermented liquors that causes intoxication. This essence took over the term alcohol for itself, whence it has come to refer to the liquor that contains this essence as well as to a class of chemical compounds such as methanol.
History and etymology
The word alcohol appears in English as a term for a very fine powder in the 16th century. It was borrowed from French, which took it from medical Latin.
Ultimately the word is from the Arabic كحل (al-kuḥl, "kohl, a powder used as an eyeliner"). Al- is the Arabic definitive article, equivalent to the in English; alcohol was originally used for the very fine powder produced by the sublimation of the natural mineral stibnite to form antimony sulfide Sb2S3 (hence the essence or "spirit" of the substance), which was used as an antiseptic, eyeliner, and cosmetic (see kohl (cosmetics)). Bartholomew Traheron, in his 1543 translation of John of Vigo, introduces the word as a term used by "barbarous" (Moorish) authors for "fine powder." Vigo wrote: the barbarous auctours use alcohol, or (as I fynde it sometymes wryten) alcofoll, for moost fine poudre.
The 1657 Lexicon Chymicum by William Johnson glosses the word as antimonium sive stibium. By extension, the word came to refer to any fluid obtained by distillation, including "alcohol of wine," the distilled essence of wine. Libavius in Alchymia (1594) refers to vini alcohol vel vinum alcalisatum. Johnson (1657) glosses alcohol vini as quando omnis superfluitas vini a vino separatur, ita ut accensum ardeat donec totum consumatur, nihilque fæcum aut phlegmatis in fundo remaneat. The word's meaning became restricted to "spirit of wine" (the chemical known today as ethanol) in the 18th century and was extended to the class of substances so-called as "alcohols" in modern chemistry after 1850.
The first alcohol (today known as ethyl alcohol) was discovered by the tenth-century Persian alchemist al-Razi. The current Arabic name for alcohol (ethanol) is الغول al-ġawl – properly meaning "spirit" or "demon" – with the sense "the thing that gives the wine its headiness" (in the Qur'an sura 37 verse 47).[29] The term ethanol was invented 1838, modeled on the German word äthyl (Liebig), which is in turn based on Greek aither ether and hyle "stuff."[30]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol

LOL:lol: (to make matters worse!)

Believe it or not. There are still beverages in the Arab world (alcohol that is). Besides back in the old days wine was consumed by many Muslims (Arabs at least) such as the better social classes and even some Caliphs!

Also the reason for Russians being so fond of alcohol is the climate they live under. During Russian winters alcohol (vodka in particular) warms you up.

Also funny that they relied on Jewish advisers who don't eat pork either and who are circumcised too and Semitic.:laughcry:

Oi @Yzd Khalifa - Can you ask @al-Hasani & @Hazzy997 to stop sharing their love lives with the rest of us ! :bad:

Neither of them are chick magnets enough to compete against my suave & panache ! :smokin:

So forget about the women - They're all Mrs.Armstrong to you ! :P

I had enough of these two, my patience is running out. Either to behave or else :sniper:

I had enough of these two, my patience is running out. Either to behave or else :sniper:

Take a ride on a Arabian horse Khalifa and take a break from PDF. We Arabs have large families and thus love life must be discussed. We know that you are all interested deep down anyway.:D

‫

‫

It is amazing. As a Najdi (particularly) you should definitely do it more often if you have not.

Or stick to Najdi sheep:

البرد في منطقة حريملاء - حفر الباطن by Talal Qatar Ձ͏0͏1͏Ʒ͏, on Flickr

:coffee:

Just out of curiosity.. What is the difference between Qatar and Saudi Arabia on Egypt policy? and Why? @Yzd Khalifa @al-Hasani
would you guys shed some light on this? Correct me if i am wrong but there are also some differences between those 2 countries on Syria policy too, right?

Some of it has been discussed in this thread already, bro. But to sum it up. Qatar at least under the rule of Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani supported the MB (contrary to ALL other Arab monarchies from Morocco in the West to Oman in the East) and this created disputes with it's Arab neighbors. They have also started to meddle in other Arab countries negatively in particularly Yemen and Iraq. Many are not fond of that. A few other reasons - political differences.

But as long as they are SUCH a strong ally to the West and the Americans have a base there then little can be done. But already their new ruler (Tamim) has changed the policy somewhat and learnt from his father's mistakes. We can only wait and see how it unfolds on the long run.

Briefly, In Egypt, Qatar supports the MB, while the Saudis side with the anti-MB politicians and the Egyptian people by large.

As for Syria, Qatar is no longer active in this, only Turkey, KSA, and Jordan are in board.

My patience is running out with these two, either to man up or we will shoot them in the head :sniper:

Fat WAHHABI Najdi! Peassant. Go take a look at your Najdi sheep. At least have the decency to take them inside when it is hailing outside! Look at that poor thing freezing.

:no:

LoLz, these Najdis control run the whole country. In fact, we control everything :cheesy:
Take a ride on a Arabian horse Khalifa and take a break from PDF. We Arabs have large families and thus love life must be discussed. We know that you are all interested deep down anyway.:D

‫

‫

It is amazing. As a Najdi (particularly) you should definitely do it more often if you have not.

Or stick to Najdi sheep:

:coffee:

Most Saudis don't like Fahad's days at all.

Shah Faisal is regarded as a hero not only by the Saudis, but many including Pakistanis.

There have been lots of gifts been prepared for Qatar's ill-advised policies but I can't see what you were aiming at, give it a run down please?
Oh yeah.... I agree...... Faisal was one of THE BEST rulers you ever had......... I mean he was THE man........ sad what happened...... Fahad on the other hand was lucifer in human flesh.......

And yes, I know about Qatar's "love" for you..... If my sources were correct, you had some special gift prepared for them back in 2009....... although you didn't go through with it.......... :woot:

No dude.... I don't think so..... when did Ukraine join the EU..... Greenland first of all isn't even in continental Europe.... though it's part of Denmark..... don't know about Belarus.........

Back
Top Bottom