What's new

Featured Egypt reportedly signed contract for 500 T-90MS main battle tanks

Standardization of this mbt has its own advantages, the k2 panther and this seems to be the top 2 mbts for future egyptian service, unless they can get to upgrade their m1a1s to an m1a2E standard
Standardizing our M1A1 fleet to M1A2E variant will be a tough to negotiate with USA

"eda heya el dababa etdarebt" hahahahaha. i cried laughing

lol, he actually was wondering if the tank fired a round or was hit by something! Heya el dababa darabet walla etdarbet? lool. Tremendous. Those M60A3s are beasts.

This one that drove over the suicide bomber car and saved all those people in that traffic stop was incredible also. Talk about excellent situational awareness and not only that, but it goes completely contrary to all the claims that junior officers and servicemen don't make their own battlefield decisions. Clearly this was a case to the contrary. That driver took it upon himself and possibly took orders from the tank commander. Although his quick reactions and the mobility of the M60A3 suggests otherwise.

Egypt makes its own ERA ..

1651431130011.png

I think that's an M1A2 SEP with TUSK ERA, ma bro. That dude manning the 50 cal gun looks like an American in that uniform and that helmet. :-)

False. An IFV cannot do half the roles of an MBT.

It could not in past but in network centric systems along the various additions today it can do more then classical MBT.
To put it in aproximate percentages i am in favor of one vehicle able doing 70% tasks on battlefield then two vehicles doing 100% of designated tasks in theory.
That does not mean that MBT should be ditched completely as it will have always place in operational maps but not primary role as it had which means less number of it is needed.

It could not in past but in network centric systems along the various additions today it can do more then classical MBT.
To put it in aproximate percentages i am in favor of one vehicle able doing 70% tasks on battlefield then two vehicles doing 100% of designated tasks in theory.
That does not mean that MBT should be ditched completely as it will have always place in operational maps but not primary role as it had which means less number of it is needed.
I mean no offense but your logic is inherently flawed. Both vehicles were made and are used for entirely different roles, their roles do not and will not ever overlap greatly and so to say one can replace the other or is more useful than the other is a very big assumption given how much their usefulness can vary from force to force. This video explains it better than I could in words.
No IFV In existence has the same firepower and armor in a single combination as a modern MBT, an IFV cannot spearhead an armored offensive assault, which is the main role of tanks these days. IFVs excel in their own roles. It’s in the name, infantry fighting vehicle. The forces that still need tanks are investing a lot more into tanks than they are into IFVs. US, Russia, India, Pakistan, UK, Germany, Israel etc all continue to develop their MBTs

Last edited:
I mean no offense but your logic is inherently flawed. Both vehicles were made and are used for entirely different roles, their roles do not and will not ever overlap greatly and so to say one can replace the other or is more useful than the other is a very big assumption given how much their usefulness can vary from force to force. This video explains it better than I could in words.
No IFV In existence has the same firepower and armor in a single combination as a modern MBT, an IFV cannot spearhead an armored offensive assault, which is the main role of tanks these days.
None taken, it is just my hunch based on opservation of ongoing and recent conflicts and technological trends, meaning that tank fleets will be harder and more expensive to introduce into battles between equal opponents with questionable outcomes.
Of course my opinion probably is flawed because of my lack expertise and some overall picture that could be observed only by really small number of military planners and decision makers.

Egypt's military power is to be reckoned with, not to forget in one of the Arab Israel wars, it was Egypt that had the galls to take over Israel under its SAm net. It was only after the so-called peace settlement that they thought had removed the threat, Egyptians have their own reasons for that, I am nobody to comment on that. But must say when shit hits the fan Egyptians never backed down, would love to see them in their old glory,
Please to hear that they're producing a quite formidable tank, regardless its license or not, its the capability that matters, God Bless Egyptians

I think that's an M1A2 SEP with TUSK ERA, ma bro. That dude manning the 50 cal gun looks like an American in that uniform and that helmet. :-)
In the thread about the Egyptian defense products we've talked about the Egyptian ERA like Plated..there are pictures too..It is very rare that you see an M1A1 or even 2..with any Era..that why it is possible that Egypt got that too..

1651438407567.png

The photo shows a M1A1 Abram tank with M1A2 Sep V2 Abrams reactive armor tiles

https://www.alamy.com/the-photo-sho...ers-in-the-european-commu-image185999797.html

1651438716516.png

Check this Jordanian M60 Phoenix MBT..

1651438866276.png

1651440306283.png

Exclusive pic for the #Egyptian new upgrade for M-60 tanks by adding reactive armor

@mahmouedgamal44

Last edited:
None taken, it is just my hunch based on opservation of ongoing and recent conflicts and technological trends, meaning that tank fleets will be harder and more expensive to introduce into battles between equal opponents with questionable outcomes.
Of course my opinion probably is flawed because of my lack expertise and some overall picture that could be observed only by really small number of military planners and decision makers.
I understand where you’re coming from, the way tanks operate is going to change drastically as more modern ATGMs and UCAVs are introduced into combat, but you have to remember that the same things we hold against tanks, said AT weapons and UCAVs, are just as, if not more deadly to IFVs. But As these other weapons evolve, so do tanks, they’ll get new APS, more armor, better weaponry to counter whatever threat they may have, that’s how the military technological circle works.

Recent conflicts imo have been a poor showing for the capabilities of tanks due to how poorly they were used, especially by Russia, it seemed like they just sent tanks in one-by-one for the Ukrainians with their modern AT weaponry to pick off, instead of using them as combined arms tools with air cover, infantry support and proper formations. In such a scenario any vehicle wether Tank or IFV would suffer the same fate.

It hasn't seen combat so compared to other nations mbts it has that disadvantage of not knowing how it can be improved, and its weaknesses haven't been pointed out. It seems to have alot of interesting technology all packed into one tank which could be a problem given its relatively short service period(compared to other mbts), with such novel technologies.

It hasn't seen combat so compared to other nations mbts it has that disadvantage of not knowing how it can be improved, and its weaknesses haven't been pointed out. It seems to have alot of interesting technology all packed into one tank which could be a problem given its relatively short service period(compared to other mbts), with such novel technologies.
Yknow Egypt has some sort of leverage of arms exporters, if we buy tgeur stuff everyone follows on and buys it due to the verified decision making ancknowledged by other countries taking place in the Egyptian armed forces. The rafale is one example, neglected for more than a decade was labelled a failed program. when egypt made its first contract india followed on shortly after so did qatar emirates indonesia greece and so on. I remeber when Al-jazeera was talking about how the rafale is a failed fighter and egypt wasted its money on useless fighter jets but when qatar bought it for double the price for the same aircraft now its the best fighter in the world and not even the f35 can beat it lol. If we complete the k2 program it will benefit their sales and development and can be used in combat in sinai although sinai is that active anymore.

Yknow Egypt has some sort of leverage of arms exporters, if we buy tgeur stuff everyone follows on and buys it due to the verified decision making ancknowledged by other countries taking place in the Egyptian armed forces. The rafale is one example, neglected for more than a decade was labelled a failed program. when egypt made its first contract india followed on shortly after so did qatar emirates indonesia greece and so on. I remeber when Al-jazeera was talking about how the rafale is a failed fighter and egypt wasted its money on useless fighter jets but when qatar bought it for double the price for the same aircraft now its the best fighter in the world and not even the f35 can beat it lol. If we complete the k2 program it will benefit their sales and development and can be used in combat in sinai although sinai is that active anymore.
Exactly also with Mirage 2000, we were the first foreign country to buy it then the world bought it (UAE India Greece Qatar Brazil etc...). Already the Altay tank (Turkey) is variant of K2 BP but with some modifications etc... I saw people commenting that Egypt is buying everything in the marker. We buy it not for pleasure but for a purpose. We bought Rafales so we can have an advanced and deadly aircraft, the MIG-29M/M2 so we can rely less on our F-16 fleet, FREMM and Meko 200 for replacing old corvettes and frigates. T-90MS for our old T-55/62 and finally maybe the K2 BP because of the restrictions by USA on our M1A1

Because the U.S. gives Egypt about $1.5B in foreign aid each year (second only to Israel) and the original deal was negotiated to keep Egypt from arming with Russian weapons. The U.S. is selling UAE F-35s, and Saudi Arabia is probably next - it’s difficult to justify selling your most advanced weapon to a subsidy recipient who’s paying you with your own money before real paying customers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom