What's new

Egypt mulls JF-17 co-production

What great news.

With this deal getting through we will move on step ahead of self reliance.

First you build your own fighter jet and then you sell it to other countries, this is how all the great AC producers have evolved.

Too early to say but the platform is still not all China/Pakistan platform, never forget the RD-93, I hope Chinese do better in engine research :china:
That's what I thought, so it's good news for Russia too. Can someone list up the parts of JF that will be produced in Pakistan for exports? I mean can Pakistan produce the Chinese radarm or avionics under licence and sell it with JF, or will these and the weapons come directly from China to Egypt?
If the latter is the case, wouldn't China earn much more of such a deal?

Last edited:
though mentioned my others, i will again say that at the moment we cant even meet our own requirements and therefore need china to simultaneously produce them for us. so how do you expect us to produce for a third country in such a massive quantity. and if we do, by the time we deliver the last plane, this tech will already be obsolete and will require some upgrades in form of blk II or something. its better to let them have the assembly and to some extent the production line as well.
at this stage we need to earn some name. its not yet time to start thinking about huge monetary profits

I don't think that selling the JF17 thunder to Egypt is a great idea if we have to sell the production facility

#1 We invested billions in research and development , so why
should we just sell , the R&D just like that to egypt if just for
48 planes ?

#2 Egypt has to invest 1.5 billion if its wants its own assembly facility
in egypt

sorry sir but where did u get these numbers from?!
as far as i heard the developing cost is around $500 million.

Dear PN,

First of all F-16 are currently the best multirole platform at a medium cost, nothing competes in my mind.
Also they are BVR capable, I do not think that Egypt would buy BLK15s...newer F-16s boast hell of an avionics package that put a lot of fighters to shame.
F-16 has AESA provisioning as well...but cost naturally goes up with all the bells and whistles...

Spare part availability is a genuine point and will factor in the Egyptian decision making plus the reliability is accurate to the extent that Pakistan has not clash of interests with Egypt and is a friendly nation.

Let us not bring Israel into this, we all hope that the issues are resolved in middle east but let us not be emotional...let us be practical and businessmen like for a change.

Thanks...
:pakistan:

i think he meant to say that egypt's f-16s lack BVR....

Bulls Eye, they don't have money, that is why they are going for Su-35s and God knows what other defence systems.

No more trolling would be allowed, contribute something positive or else don't post.

That doesn't make sense, the SU-35 is far more expensive and superior to any SU-30.

Lol russia has no money to buy the Su30

As i stated earlier the SU-35 cost more than the SU-30 and we are to receive 48 of them, in addition we we are to receive 58 SU-34's.... the Russian airforce is not interested in a multi-role fighter such as the SU-30 but rather an air superiority fighter such as the SU-35, hense we are to receive 48 of them. We also have hundrends of SU-27's, MIG-29's, and MIG-31's so no need buy the SU-30 in large numbers esspecially when the PAK-FA is to be introduced in 2015.

Anyway this is thread is about the JF-17 lets keep it that way.

Last edited:
I think we should help brothers but with reservations such as not to leak or expose our goods to our Non-Friendly states.

If you ask me not as a govt. but these Arabs are most friendly towards Pakistanis. Its my personal experience. I will go for it. We as a Muslims, instead of Fighting should help them in their need. In this way we will be setting examples and working on Sunnah more than these actual Arabs ( where Islam Started actually and who should claim themselves to be guardians yet are slaves to west). Our Airforce is blessing from Allah and we should use it for good means.

Love Pakistan more than myself:pakistan:

Why Egypt would deal with Pakistan but not China? To my understanding, Pakistan is only assembling the JF-17 from the kits she is receiving from China. It is still unclear how much contribution Pakistan had or have in the development of the JF-17, 10% or 50% or how much? K-8 was another such project which is claimed to have been a China (75%)-Pakistan (25%) co-production, but Egypt directly dealt with China. Did Pakistan get anything from that deal? The source of this news is indeed Jane's, but from the experience of the K-8, I find it difficult to digest.

Why Egypt would deal with Pakistan but not China? To my understanding, Pakistan is only assembling the JF-17 from the kits she is receiving from China. It is still unclear how much contribution Pakistan had or have in the development of the JF-17, 10% or 50% or how much? K-8 was another such project which is claimed to have been a China (75%)-Pakistan (25%) co-production, but Egypt directly dealt with China. Did Pakistan get anything from that deal? The source of this news is indeed Jane's, but from the experience of the K-8, I find it difficult to digest.

Pakistans contribution is not known, maybe just integrating systems..engine from Russia, Avionics from French or China..then how can u be so much concerned about technology leakage? any country with a fair amount of espionage activities can easily engage few of our sub continent miniscule paid scientist/ Engineers and build such systems..I think Pakistan should not waste time debating about tech leakage and start to export ASAP..u need lots of $$$$ and gain some international reputation...Good luck !!!

..then how can u be so much concerned about technology leakage? ..I think Pakistan should not waste time debating about tech leakage and start to export ASAP..u need lots of $$$$ and gain some international reputation...Good luck !!!
I am not arguing about the technology leak or what not; I have a very basic question. In the K-8 project, Pakistan reportedly had 25% contribution, yet, the Egyptians approached the China not Pakistan for the possibility of assembling 40+ aircrafts in Egypt. In the case of JF-17, Pakistan may still have 25% contribution, than why the Egyptian would negotiate with Pakistan but not China? As far as my understanding goes, JF-17 is a Chinese development with some Pakistani input. It is generous of Chinese that they call it a joint development, otherwise Pakistan has never developed any jet aircraft on its own.

Last edited:
That doesn't make sense, the SU-35 is far more expensive and superior to any SU-30.

Buddy, my remarks were in sarcasm, as the other guy was pointing out that Russia can't buy Su-30s becoz they don't have money, to which i said, yeah they don't have money that is why they are buying Su-35s, S-400s, newer submarines and God knows what else they are buying, due to having money.

Pakistan with nearly equal amount of amount investment & being the inducting Partner, gives it also the rights to market the aircraft, but off course Pakistan and China both would be involved in finalization of the deal.

And as for K-8 deal, China had much more to do with it compared to Pakistan.

And what Pakistan got from the K-8 deal is not known, as you know our defense deals are not know well enough, may be they had made some parts or may be they had nothing to do with it due to some factors.

Egyptians may even have gone first to Chinese, but got referred to Pakistan for obvious reasons.

Pakistan with nearly equal amount of amount investment & being the inducting Partner, gives it also the rights to market the aircraft, but off course Pakistan and China both would be involved in finalization of the deal.
Is there a reference for this information?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom