What's new

Egypt mulls JF-17 co-production

such deals are more of a reason for the third party suppliers like French and Russinas to make their offers more attractive.

And i know what super falcon meant but lets hope for all good..... lets hope the deal would generate enough funds to support the development of blk2.

On a side note egyptians are very good negotiators.... very talkative and demanding..... as well.

Pakistan will be on the tongues of Egyptians. THINK ABOUT IT!!
I'm not so sure about it but lets do some bussiness here.... we should be only thinking about profit margins and not more!

I'm not so sure about it but lets do some bussiness here.... we should be only thinking about profit margins and not more!

Obviously profits are part of the equation, but sometimes one cannot calculate such deals from a profit or loss perspective.

Every time JF-17 is on the tongue of Egyptians and their Media, the news will resonate through much of the arab world because they all watch each other's channels. This means good and free publicity for the JF-17, the PAF, and Pakistan as a well to that part of the world, at both public and government levels. It'll serve as a force-multiplier.

China had issues selling SD-10 to Egypt; is this issue resolved? I remember Egypt (like Pakistan) had problems procuring BVR AAM as neither US nor the Europeans were willing to provide them to Egypt. Egypt initially expressed her interest in JF-17 because of the SD-10.

China had issues selling SD-10 to Egypt; is this issue resolved? I remember Egypt (like Pakistan) had problems procuring BVR AAM as neither US nor the Europeans were willing to provide them to Egypt. Egypt initially expressed her interest in JF-17 because of the SD-10.

i doubted it, china will definitely sell sd-10 to egypt if they buy thunders...

i doubted it, china will definitely sell sd-10 to egypt if they buy thunders...
China's relations with Pakistan are different, but Egypt...... China and Israel have collaborated on various projects; China-Israel relationship is kind of a two way traffic where both are benefiting from each other (probably China is gaining more than Israel). Now, Egypt and China.... What you think? If Israel 'requests' China not to supply Egypt with SD-10, would China like to risk a 'fruitful' relationship with Israel over a couple of hundred million deal with Egypt?

jf 17 we have honestely no hard points on it only 2 on each side .... arnt we going to put more hard points or that is going to come in the blk 2 model jsut asking beaucse if we do get egypt to sighn the contract we will defently get funds for our seconed stage jf 17

Hi,

Fourteen pages of discussion about this subject in two days---the topic is on fire--so much arm twisting and mud wrestling---I love it---. I went and checked out pakdef info board---till yesterday---just one single post about the news and nothing else.

Adeos amigo and taimikhan have done a great job explaing the issue---thankyou very much gentlemen.

You and others like you, make me proud of you guys.

Last edited:
China's relations with Pakistan are different, but Egypt...... China and Israel have collaborated on various projects; China-Israel relationship is kind of a two way traffic where both are benefiting from each other (probably China is gaining more than Israel). Now, Egypt and China.... What you think? If Israel 'requests' China not to supply Egypt with SD-10, would China like to risk a 'fruitful' relationship with Israel over a couple of hundred million deal with Egypt?

hmm....i think ur rite...it makes more sense for china to stick with israel...:coffee:
but then does egypt have an option to go for french radars??

You are presenting only hypothetical scenarios. Not only does Israel enjoy good relations with China, but also with Russia and France. Israel and Russia have also collaborated/cooperated in various projects, yielding benefits for both, but that doesn't mean Russian planes and Hi-tech arms will not be sold to the adversaries of Israel. Iran is one such case, from long range SAM's to latest generation jet fighters, all available to them. Same goes for french. I already explained this issue in one of my earlier posts.

Secondly Egypt is one country amongst very few Muslim countries with a better image in the West, why some people are comparing them to Iran or North Korea, who are thought to be axis of evil in the west and therefore their every move regarding defense article procurement is tried to be blocked by the west. Egypt has no such issues.

Lastly china is more then willing to supply Egypt S-10 BVRAAM equipped Thunder, but lets assume if they face any resistance from Israel as you say,then they can sell them through Pakistan as the deal would be struck between Pakistan and Egypt, it will be a similar situation where Russia provided us RD-93 through china even when Indian made a lot of noise. And remember china is not as dependent or close to Israel as India is to Russia. I wont be even surprised if MiCA BVRAAM, finds its way in Egypt's Arsenal.

The sole point which makes the Thunder valuable is its BVR capability at an affordable price. Without BVR the affordability factor becomes worthless and that's why it is center of attraction for the third world and most probably the biggest replacement for Third generation fighters like Mirages, Mig 21s and F- 7s. And of course Chinese know this, after all we all know how good business people they are.

given bellow is an article, which shows Chinese willingness to supply thunders to Egyptians.

Dubai 09: China eyes international military market

DATE:17/11/09
SOURCE:Flight Daily News

By Siva Govindasamy

China National Aero-Technology Import & Export Corporation (stand W110), which markets China-made military aviation products globally, is in talks with several countries to sell the Hongdu L-15 advanced jet trainer and Chengdu JF-17 fighter.

"We are talking to about five to six countries for each aircraft, and air force pilots from some of them have already flown test flights," says Ma Zhiping, president of CATIC. He is unable to say when the first deals will be signed, but he adds that there will be several "traditional and non-traditional" customers in the coming years.

Ma declines to specify which countries are interested, and would only say that they are mainly in Africa, the Middle East, Asia and South America. At the show, the Chinese delegation had meetings with countries including Iraq, Sudan, Mauritania, the United Arab Emirates, Nigeria, Pakistan and Egypt. Outside the show, they have also met officials from countries including the Philippines, Myanmar, Sri Lanka and Venezuela.

"Different countries have different requirements and we have to try to cater to them. This includes operational and financial requirements. We provide very capable aircraft at a very reasonable price compared to what else there is in the market," says Ma.

"One of the biggest problems for many of our customers is financing. Many are developing countries and their payment abilities are limited. We work with the Chinese government in these cases to help them get cheap credit."

For potential JF-17 customers, China is willing to help them set up an assembly line or produce components for the aircraft. This will be similar to the arrangement with Pakistan for the JF-17, and earlier with Egypt for the Hongdu K-8 intermediate jet trainer and light attack aircraft.

"Some of the countries want to develop a defence industry, and we can do with them what we have done with Pakistan and Egypt," says Ma. "We have been selling aircraft for the last 30 years, but it is only in the last 10 that we have really started to make a mark in the international markets.

"Our presence in Dubai has doubled from the last time we were here, and that shows how serious we are. We will make an impact in the market for military products the coming years."

:pakistan:

Adios

Last edited:
Where as i am happy for the project to generate such interest internationally, members need to temper their thoughts. We may be a good partnership and this project may have developed in time when there is a desperate need for such a fighter. We however need to understand that as a selling agent POF has not done well and considering the products, we are not doing half as well as we can.The reason is the way the administration is configured around Ex army/forces people who have little experience in the selling side of things.POF may have have to have a commercial mindset to sell stuff and for that they need to hire specialized staff. At the moment this is not happening and this is holding us back. Secondly, the reason for the success of thunder is the need in the market for such an aircraft.We also need to be able to have a vision of what the needs in the next decades are going to be and cater to those . Fro this we will need people who are thinkers with a military background. Alkhalid may have suffered on account of the lack of experience of our selling team.
Araz

well the other reason for not doing so well is because we are not that well know in this feild..
you know that many would prefer to stick to older US f16 or Russian Migs just because they are American or Russian name attatched to these systems. "Made in Pakistan" do not give that psycological boast to the operators!!
this is a a real hurdel in Pakistan's becomming a major player in international Arms market. Once we get rid of this problem every thing will start to stream line.
A good example of this is that still many people argue that Chines J10 cant be as good as USF16 just because it is Chines!!
it is a problem that every new commer will have to face and if we can overcome it Pakistan may see good handsom amount of planes, APCs and Tanks that can be exported!

regards!

Hi,

Fourteen pages of discussion about this subject in two days---the topic is on fire--so much arm twisting and mud wrestling---I love it---. I went and checked out pakdef info board---till yesterday---just one single post about the news and nothing else.

Adeos amigo and taimikhan have done a great job explaing the issue---thankyou very much gentlemen.

You and others like you, make me proud of you guys.

well this is what make defence.pk among the best of the lot sir!!

anyway what do you think of this debate. i mean dont you really think that besides money, this deal, if happens wil bring a lot more to pakistan in terms of international confidience in Pakistan equipment that will make the future of other systems like the tanks, PACs much brighter??
looking forward to you response!

regards!

well here is the actual and complete article from Janes for your review:

Jane's Defence Weekly
Date Posted: 04-Mar-2010

Mohammed Najib JDW Correspondent - Ramallah

Cairo is in talks with Pakistan to begin joint production of JF-17 Thunder combat aircraft, Jane's understands from Egyptian defence industry sources.

Even as the talks continued regarding JF-17 assembly in Egypt, however, the US Department of Defense announced on 2 March that an initial contract worth some USD213 million had been finalised with Lockheed Martin for Egypt's procurement of additional F-16C/D multirole fighters.

If the deal for the single-engine JF-17 is approved, Egypt would become the first export client for the aircraft. The Pakistan Air Force formally inducted the type into service in February. Chengdu Aircraft Industries Group, a subsidiary of the state-owned China Aviation Industry Corporation (AVIC), began development of the aircraft in 1991, with Pakistan joining the programme in 1995. The first aircraft to be manufactured at the Pakistani Aeronautical Complex (PAC) was rolled out on 24 November 2009.

While the number of aircraft Egypt plans to acquire has not been revealed, the inclusion of local assembly in the deal suggests that the contract would be for at least 48 JF-17s.

Brigadier General Mohammed Abdul Azim, a senior official at the government-owned Arab Organisation for Industrialisation (AOI), told Jane's on 3 March that negotiations were continuing and that a final contract announcement was not expected for several weeks.

The project has, however, been plagued by financial and technological obstacles, due in large part to Egypt's insistence that production take place in the country, one senior Arab defence source told Jane's .

The contract with Lockheed Martin, meanwhile, is being handled by the US Air Force under the Foreign Military Sales programme; 20 F-16C/D Block 52 multirole fighter aircraft are to be acquired.

The US Congress was first notified of the F-16 deal in October 2009, with the proposed package including advanced targeting and reconnaissance pods. While the number of aircraft included in the sale has decreased from 24 to 20, the value of the programme will also decrease from an initial cost estimate of USD3.2 billion.

Egypt's new acquisitions would substantially modernise and update its ageing inventory and allow the air force to begin replacing its F-4E Phantom, F-7B, Mirage 5 and MiG-21 combat aircraft.

Modernisation has been the watchword for all of Egypt's services for the last decade, as procurement and upgrades have taken a backseat to increasing the size and capabilities of the infantry force.

Any joint venture would involve Egyptian assembly and manufacturing, in line with rules dictating partnerships that were laid out with the establishment of AOI in 1975. AOI has already indigenously produced Chinese K-8E Karakoram jet trainers.

These new partnership avenues are being spurred on by regional security concerns, including Iran's nuclear programme and piracy threats to merchant marine traffic transiting the Suez Canal.

Lieutenant General Hamdi Wahiba, the director of AOI, said in comments to the official Middle East News Agency that Egypt was also investigating domestic production of an unmanned aerial vehicle. However, he declined to elaborate on the size, type and payload capabilities of the proposed drone

well with so many Howevers in the article we must hold back the party until somthing more solid surfaces in this. . . . . .

regards!

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom