What's new

Egypt Buys Rafale and FREMM

@Frogman which fighters will these Rafale replace? The Mirage V squadrons? I have noticed that there are more two B version than C version(two-seater vs one-seater )

I read sme where that Rafale is an omni-fighter what the omni fighter if know thanks.

The Rafale is an omni role fighter,that means that it can conduct several missions such as :

- Air-defence / air-superiority.

- Anti-Access/Aera Denial.

- Reconnaissance.

- Close air support.

- Dynamic Targeting.

- Air-to-ground precision strike / interdiction.

- Anti-ship attacks.

- Nuclear attacks.

- buddy-buddy refuelling.

@Malik Alashter

It's funny to see some comments ..
At first EAF was highly criticized because the lack of bvr and the need to be modernized .
Now after Rafale coming in .. new criticism about why not waiting another 5-10 years to obtain 5th generation jets !!

And debates regarding the purpose of purchasing Rafale .. whether to fight Israel / Ethiopia / brothers in Libya .... !!

And btw , no one here expects that 24 Rafale is enough for EAF in the next 5 years .
We're currently waiting the confirmation of the Russian deal concerning the Air field .. most reports go for Mig-29 M/M2 .. Some about Mig-35 ... not mentioning the Su-35 that we all waiting impatiently to here something new since 3 years !

Briefly , we're expecting more for EAF from Russia , China and EU .
It's not only about fighter jets but more .. helicopters , transport / cargo , tankers , UAV , UCAV

it,s a great news for egypt air force.:welcome:

but 1 question: why so different type of jet? mig 29 m/m2. mig-35, su-35 ? i think most of them are rumors. :crazy:

6) Its Rafale for god's sake, not Rafael.

This is Rafael:
RafaNadal.jpg

This is Rafale:
Dassault_Rafale.jpg

May be a spelling mistake but you got it :sarcastic::omghaha::omghaha:

It's funny to see some comments ..
At first EAF was highly criticized because the lack of bvr and the need to be modernized .
Now after Rafale coming in .. new criticism about why not waiting another 5-10 years to obtain 5th generation jets !!

And debates regarding the purpose of purchasing Rafale .. whether to fight Israel / Ethiopia / brothers in Libya .... !!

And btw , no one here expects that 24 Rafale is enough for EAF in the next 5 years .
We're currently waiting the confirmation of the Russian deal concerning the Air field .. most reports go for Mig-29 M/M2 .. Some about Mig-35 ... not mentioning the Su-35 that we all waiting impatiently to here something new since 3 years !

Briefly , we're expecting more for EAF from Russia , China and EU .
It's not only about fighter jets but more .. helicopters , transport / cargo , tankers , UAV , UCAV

With this purchases, Egypt is doing what it needs to do by strengthening its navy and air force. However, we have not heard any purchases of ballistic missile purchases nor local ballistic missile development. Any news on this area?

Last edited:
Egypt ends US arms 'monopoly' with French jet fighter deal | Zee News
Last Updated: Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 18:39

Cairo: Egypt`s decision to buy 24 Rafale jet fighters from France underscores its determination to diversify its sources of weapons and reduce its dependence on the United States, experts said.

The 5.2-billion-euro ($5.9 billion) deal is a historic first foreign sale of the Rafale for France, which is set to sign the contract in the Egyptian capital on Monday.

Rights group Amnesty International has criticised the sale of the jets and a frigate to a nation that it has accused of "alarming" human rights abuses.

The United States -- a long-time strategic partner of Egypt, to which it gives about $1.5 billion in aid each year including roughly $1.3 billion in military assistance -- has played down the impact of the sale.

"Egypt is a sovereign country," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said on Friday. "We have our own security relationship, so I wouldn`t say there`s a concern from this end."

US-Egyptian relations have been strained since the military deposed Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July 2013 and launched a brutal crackdown on his supporters.

Morsi, the country`s first freely elected head of state, was toppled by then army chief and now President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi following massive protests against his controversial one-year rule.

Sisi was elected president in May 2014 with 96.91 percent of the vote.

More than 1,400 people have died in the crackdown on Morsi supporters.

Thousands have been imprisoned and hundreds sentenced to death, while Morsi`s Muslim Brotherhood has been branded a "terrorist" organisation and banned.

The brutal repression of Morsi supporters prompted Washington to freeze part of its aid to Cairo in October 2013 and demand that Egypt implement democratic reforms.

"The contract (with France) is an implicit message to the United States signifying that Egypt will no longer count exclusively on US weapon supplies," said retired Egyptian army general Mohammed Mujahid al-Zayyat.

Egypt no longer wants to be "blackmailed" in its relations with the United States, said Zayyat, an expert with the Cairo-based National Centre for Middle East Studies.

US officials "have their own views as to how the Egyptian army should be rebuilt and reject the army`s belief that Israel is its key enemy," he added.

Egypt signed a peace treaty with Israel in 1979 but relations between the two neighbours have never been fully developed and remain frosty over Israeli policies towards the Palestinians.Washington has tried to balance its defence relationship with criticism of alleged human rights violations by the Egyptian government.

It recently delivered to Cairo a shipment of Apache helicopter gunships, supposedly for use in counterterrorism operations, while also denouncing mass convictions of Sisi`s opponents.

Military expert and retired army officer Ahmed Abdel Halim said Egypt was being held "hostage" by Washington because of its human rights record, and needed to diversify its sources of weaponry.

"The diversification of the supply of weapons and technology is aimed at dissuading any country from exercising a monopoly over Egypt or of trying to blackmail it," he said.

Abdel Halim, a former president of the national security commission at the Egyptian senate, said Egypt would continue to import weapons from the United States, as well as France and "maybe even China".

Russia, he said, could be another key supplier.

Russian President Vladimir Putin, a key non-Arab backer of Sisi, paid a landmark visit to Cairo this week.

The two leaders agreed a deal for Moscow to build Egypt`s first ever nuclear power plant to produce electricity.

They also agreed on "further military cooperation between our two countries given the current circumstances" in Egypt, said Sisi, who visited Russia twice last year to discuss Russian weapon supplies.

Egypt is fighting an Islamist insurgency in the Sinai Peninsula and also fears that the chaos in neighbouring Libya, where powerful militias are battling for territory, could spread across the border.

"Egypt will continue to buy weapons from the Americans but it will also buy them from Russia, and this was clear during Putin`s visit to Cairo," said Arab affairs expert Mathieu Guidere.

That "will put Egypt in a better position vis-a-vis the Americans," he said.

French - Indian rafale deal is on track and i think its more related to the upgradtion of the Mirage2000. IAF do have 51 Mirage 2000. Here its more about that deal.

Under the contract, initially two aircraft would be sent to France to be checked and upgraded there by Dassault and Thales under Indian supervision. Then, two more aircraft would be similarly upgraded at HAL by French engineers and technicians in India as part of the learning curve for Indian engineers.

After that, the equipment supplied by Thales would be fitted on the aircraft in India at HAL’s factory in Bangalore.

Press release from Dassault

Egypt opts for the Rafale - Dassault Aviation

Dassault Aviation is greatly honored by the Arab Republic of Egypt’s decision to equip its air force with the Rafale. This decision is a continuation of our cooperation that dates back to the 1970s, and has seen the Mirage 5, the Alpha Jet and the Mirage 2000 fly in the colors of Egypt. The Rafale meets the needs of countries that, like Egypt, demand a sovereign air force of the best level.

Have Egyptian Mirage 2000 have been upgraded ?
Yes I think the Egyptian MK2 have been upgraded but to which version 5 or 9, I do not know.
What I know though from many articles is that there is a problem between France and India about the Rafale procurement conditions. India is asking France to guarantee the finished product made in HAL (India), but the French can only guarantee the first 13 or whatever the number of the first batch that will be made in France. The French say this request was not included in the reached agreement, But India insists!!! Although it did not make this request to Russia or England when it made the SU-30s and the Jaguars in India.
The French call the deal something "extremely complicated".

Yes I think the Egyptian MK2 have been upgraded but to which version 5 or 9, I do not know.
What I know though from many articles is that there is a problem between France and India about the Rafale procurement conditions. India is asking France to guarantee the finished product made in HAL (India), but the French can only guarantee the first 13 or whatever the number of the first batch that will be made in France. The French say this request was not included in the reached agreement, But India insists!!! Although it did not make this request to Russia or England when it made the SU-30s and the Jaguars in India.
The French call the deal something "extremely complicated".

India and France will solve this issue during the upcoming visit of PM Modi by April and by that time i think the issue of Mirage 2000 will be solved.

4 Aug 2014
The $1.8 billion upgrade of 49 Mirage 2000s will see them remain operational until 2040. According to Nicolas Korotchansky, vice-president, deputy combat aircraft domain at Thales, “Dassault and Thales will help HAL in the integration work starting from the fifth aircraft," with integration work on the first four being performed under the responsibility of the French companies. India's first upgraded Mirage 2000 was flown at Istres air base in October 2013. All 49 aircraft were to receive the upgrades by 2021, but the project is not now expected to be completed until 2024.

Indian military planner are asking Dassault that things should be not repeated the same with the Rafale fighter.

Egypt is not considered as adversary by the IDF + Israel already ordered 33 F-35s.

I think the prime role of 26 Egyptian Rafales will be a deep strike capability, similar to 25 Israeli F-15I.

I know that Egypt and other GCC countries don't have guts to go after Israel, but I just wanted a technological comparison of both air forces after recent purchased of Egypt.

Saudi Arabia did help Pakistan finance a deal for Mirages back in 1960s.

If they have paid in 60s then we have returned it with maximum markup, if you get what I mean.

@Frogman which fighters will these Rafale replace? The Mirage V squadrons? I have noticed that there are more two B version than C version(two-seater vs one-seater )

The Mirage III/IV Horus are primarily in the strike role, the Rafale may be used for deep strike but as an omni-role fighter it has many more uses. I don't think the Rafale is a replacement for anything, it's a great addition. Whether more Russian jets, more M2Ks, or even the JF-17 will be sought after to replace older aircraft is yet to be seen.

@Frogman aren't the price is too much for 24 rafale and 1 fremm ?

It includes an armament deal for both the fighters and the frigate, it also includes training pilots, maintenance crews, engineering cadres, building infrastructure, hangars, weapon storage facilities etc etc etc

It may be expensive but it's worth it.

know that Egypt and other GCC countries don't have guts to go after Israel, but I just wanted a technological comparison of both air forces after recent purchased of Egypt.

Or they're rational enough to know that any aggression on Israel will break a peace treaty and result in UN military action against you, if not the US 5th Fleet is willing to do the job illegally. But you know that doesn't matter much to anyone.

Israel going for 5th generation F-35 (and maybe F-22 in future) and Egypt got stuck with Rafael. Would it not be better for them to invest in Chinese/Russian 5th generation fighter program? But hey, their money (Saudi donation), there decision. I only wish if it was possible to buy someone some common sense too.

Egypt is Israel's toe licker, a mere satellite; why she nees to buy Rafaels in the first place? Wont it be better to use this money for the betterment of her royally screwed up public and wait until the time was right to go for 5th generation fighters?

And what exactly makes your privy to the plans and needs of the EAF regarding fifth generation aircraft or any aircraft for that matter?

The Armed Force's has its budget and has decided to procure a certain weapons system, the rest of the nations budget and foreign investments go towards the betterment of a screwed up public. Do Egyptians question why Pakistan needs new -16s after all that money can go towards a people who are arguably in a worse position than Egyptians?

I did not know Egypt needs Rafale for Ethiopian conflict. If true, they proved dumber than I thought.

Thanks for correcting the spelling.

Yes, so dumb that they want a military answer (if required) to a problem that is an existential threat to millions of Egyptians who rely on the Nile. So dumb that they want to introduce weapons systems that have been in the region for ages.

Stop being a dick.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom