Dubai airport traffic jumps, overtakes HK

Al Bhatti

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Tuesday, 29 January 2013

640x392_49686_263175.jpg

Passenger flows through Dubai’s main airport jumped 13.2 percent last year, helping the airport overtake Hong Kong to become the world’s third busiest for international passenger traffic, airport authorities said on Monday.

Dubai’s passenger traffic surged to 57.68 million people in 2012 from 50.98 million during 2011, Dubai Airports said. In the month of December, passengers rose 13.4 percent to 5.32 million.

Hong Kong International Airport said earlier this month that its passenger traffic increased 4.7 percent to 56.5 million people last year. The world’s two busiest airports for international passenger traffic are London Heathrow and Paris Charles de Gaulle, according to Airports Council International.

India was Dubai International’s single biggest country destination in terms of passenger numbers last year, with traffic rising 7.4 percent to 7.34 million.

Dubai opened a huge, purpose-built facility for A380 superjumbo jets this month and the airport expects to handle 65.4 million passengers in 2013, said Paul Griffiths, chief executive of Dubai Airports.

The airport’s freight volumes rebounded towards the end of last year, helping total volume for 2012 rise 3.9 percent to 2.28 million tons. In December, cargo volume rose 6.5 percent to 201,949 tons.

---------

Meanwhile our airports? :tdown::tdown::tdown:

Thanks to PIA.

Nope, don't think so. Look at Dubai the way it is positioned today. Investment and business hub , low crime rate, rapid development in infrastructure, multicultural society and a tourist destination.

^^ You think very wrong!

PIA load is transferred mainly to emirates and every one knows it!

Could be. I don't deny that. But for a place to attain that magnetic position , is it all to be attributed what you state?

I am more interested in New delhi's and Mumbai's passenger arrival and their rate of increment......:coffee:

NewDelhi IGI is highly impressive ; far far better than Mumbai

Dubai has exploited it's geographic position to the hilt. Any flight from Asia going to Europe or America finds it convenient to stopover at Dubai. This increases the number of passengers.

Dubai has managed to attract airlines with lower fee and great amenities for the passenger. Delhi and Mumbai could also have done so specially for the Southeast Asia and Far East market but the planners have bungled because of the high airport fee and User development fee. In amenities the new terminal T 3 is at par or better than any terminal in the world but the airlines feel that it is very expensive. Many airlines like Air Asia have stopped their flights to Delhi and Mumbai.

The govt needs to revise the fee to make it attractive for flyers to come to these airports. I know that the fee collected is used to pay for the development but reducing the fee will attract the volumes and the collection target can be met.

I am more interested in New delhi's and Mumbai's passenger arrival and their rate of increment......:coffee:

How can we Pakistanis help you?

Could be. I don't deny that. But for a place to attain that magnetic position , is it all to be attributed what you state?

I was just referring to the recent jump,,, mentioned the subject! and stick to it!

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom