What's new

Doha's new $15bn airport welcomes first flight

@mafiya

Your comments to this news please before I go to bed. You are the only person that lives in Qatar that I know about from PDF.

You should update us about the major projects in Qatar and defense related news obviously.

Man, I wish I had $15 billion dollars, I'd blow it all on buying a shit ton of Mcdonalds resturants that sell nothing but vegetable-burgers.

Why not built fitness centers and recreation areas for that kind of money? Some Qataris could need it.:lol:

McDonald's is rubbish. I would ban some of these useless fast-food chains and mostly serve local food or regional ME food instead.

Last edited:
After completing HIA project, next phase is building Residential units near airport.

10 Interesting Facts about Hamad International Airport

Departures-Hall.jpg

30 April 2014 Last Updated on 30 April 2014

A lot of us are excited about the new Airport launching. Hopefully it means more structure, more parking, better facilities, and they'll ban the hundreds of people who stand outside of the Airport exit either trying to get you to ride in an illegal taxi or simply just chilling there. (Seriously though, it's a security risk).

We thought it would be great to share our 10 cool facts about Hamad International Airport (a.k.a New Doha International Airport). For another list, check out 10 Doha Airport problems we hope HIA fixes.

50million.JPG

1. 50 Million Passengers

Yes indeed, although during launch the initial capacity is 30 Million Passengers, the full build out will surpass 50 million passengers per year. Other airports that have acheived such high numbers include, Tokyo Airport (Haneda), Singapore Airport (Changi), Dubai Airport (DIA), and London Heathrow.

manmade.jpg

2. The land is man made

Over 60% of the land the new airport sits on is reclaimed. The sea was buried so that the airport could sit where it does and not disturb the area around it.

50000.jpg

3. Over 50,000 people worked on this project.

That's a lot of manpower right there. That included over 1,000 architects, designers, consultants, engineers, and project managers.

100.jpg

4. 100 Buildings

While the airport does look like one massive structure, there are over 100 buildings within the site itself. Can you spot them all? We couldn't, they blend in so well.

lighting-poles.jpg

5. 1628 lighting poles

When you've got an airport as massive as this, you'll need a lot of lighting. That's why HIA needs over 1,628 lighting poles. Let's hope that they're energy efficient.

9thbiggest.jpg

6. 9th biggest airport in the world

Since HIA is 29 square kilometers big (11.2 Square Miles), that makes it the 9th biggest in the world, beating JFK.

shops.jpg

7. Over 100 restaurants and shops

Next time you need to go do some shopping, perhaps you'll decide to go to the Airport instead of a mall. HIA has over 100 outlets!

catering.JPG

8. One of the largest Catering facilities in the world

At 69,000 sqm the Catering Facility is fully automated for storage and has a capacity for 90,000 meals a day! That takes 1,800 staff including 350 chefs and a fleet of 7,000 vehicles.

The-Lagoon.jpg

9. 44km of road

If you took all the roads and put them side by side, you'd have around 44km of road surface.

rail.jpg

10. You'll need to take the rail.

To make life easier, you'll be able to take a train from the North to the South side of the airport. If you're in transit and going to take a while, don't worry, you'll get to enjoy a special hotel, swimming pool, luxury spa, squash courts, or enjoy one of the 28 art installations by local, regional, and international artists.

So there you go, a few interesting facts about the new airport. The only concern now is that once people arrive, they won't want to leave. Looks like you can practically live there forever.

Easter egg!

Here's a little secret for you to notice next time you visit HIA. Check out the lamp posts that line the approach road, they aren't just custom designed for the looks, they have laser-cut stainless steel claddings that are inscribed with the Qatari National Anthem.

anthem.jpg

Bonus!
Did you know that HIA Airport city is also being planned? It's a 10 sq km development where 200,000 people will live and work, linking the HIA with Doha.

airport-city.jpg

Source:
ILQ

@mafiya

I have heard that the Qatari authorities have recently improved the conditions of many migrant workers and that steps are being taken to improve this area. Can you confirm this and do you think that most of the problems will be solved before 2022? I hope that this is very much the case. All trolling aside. Sorry for turning the tread political.

Great update.:enjoy:

@mafiya

Excellent update you posted there.

BTW are you interested in making a thread called "Qatar development" or something along those line that you could update and which I and others could update from time to time? Where one could post photos of Qatar as well. Since you are the only PDF member who lives in Qatar which makes you kind of a representative of Qatar here.

Or should I change the title of this thread to "Qatar development and news"?

Because a lot will happen in Qatar before 2022.

What do you say?

@mafiya

I have heard that the Qatari authorities have recently improved the conditions of many migrant workers and that steps are being taken to improve this area. Can you confirm this and do you think that most of the problems will be solved before 2022? I hope that this is very much the case. All trolling aside. Sorry for turning the tread political.

Great update.:enjoy:

Well Well,,, We will discuss this in morning after you wake up :P,,, It's fajar time here and was thinking to go and pray :D

The major emphasis or primary objective is to complete mega projects before 2022. Most preferably up to 2020. The new stadiums, rail project, Ral estate projects e.g Lusail city (like one dubai palm jumeirah type). Migrant workers are of secondary nature.

@mafiya

Excellent update you posted there.

BTW are you interested in making a thread called "Qatar development" or something along those line that you could update and which I and others could update from time to time? Where one could post photos of Qatar as well. Since you are the only PDF member who lives in Qatar which makes you kind of a representative of Qatar here.

Or should I change the title of this thread to "Qatar development and news"?

Because a lot will happen in Qatar before 2022.

What do you say?

That would be better, later I would post the stadiums that are going to be build for FIFA 2022.

Well Well,,, We will discuss this in morning after you wake up :P,,, It's fajar time here and was thinking to go and pray :D

The major emphasis or primary objective is to complete mega projects before 2022. Most preferably up to 2020. The new stadiums, rail project, Ral estate projects e.g Lusail city (like one dubai palm jumeirah type). Migrant workers are of secondary nature.

That would be better, later I would post the stadiums that are going to be build for FIFA 2022.

Sorry, then you should go and not be here on PDF.

Yes, you are right and let us take this discussion on another occasion and maybe another thread all together.

Ok, should I then change the name of this thread? You have the final word bro.

Nothing beats Emirates really. Biggest Airbus A380 fleet in the world by far. 44 of them. Singapore Airlines are second with 19.

We need to surpass the Gulfies by every means possible.:lol:

Warm mentions to Oman Air as well. Very pleasant airline with some great food onboard and friendly staff.

I have not tried Kuwait Airways so can't tell. They were good once.
meh, IMO no one beats Etihad, amazing service, fares are affordable (business/economy), fleet and livery are the best in ME. Gulf Air is good too.

Good, the old one was SHIT (I hope they built enough bathrooms), I couldn't find a goddamn empty toilet stall. Had to take it to the plane :D

meh, IMO no one beats Etihad, amazing service, fares are affordable (business/economy), fleet and livery are the best in ME. Gulf Air is good too.

You haven't been to OMAN Airways then, They beat qatar airways, etihad, gulf air hands down in fares, ambiance, fleet, food. Only negative thing is there ain't direct flights, most of flights have stop over at Oman and transit time like 5-10 hours, some might have 10 + hours and yet no hotel will be provided.!

I always like incorporating traditions if fitting and museums as well. I guess that happens when you spend too many years in Paris.

Joking aside I was just referring to the color of the wooden floor and maybe that of the couches.

Yes, a complete look in that color would be silly indeed.

Well, this depends on the area. Not everything in the ME is old and I would say that some people have a too big obsession about modern design which I dislike if it becomes too much.:p:

Hopefully you will get the chance to design a future airport in Pakistan or elsewhere.;)

KSA is lacking on this front compared to UAE and Qatar actually.

I mean the airlines. Not the airports. Quite a few new airports are being built in KSA or being expanded. The most obvious being the King Abdulaziz International Airport north of Jeddah which is going to accommodate 90 million passengers a year and it can be further expanded in the future if necessary. It's necessary due to the hajj and umrah and before 2022 KSA is expected to open up (real tourism sector), Kingdom Tower and all the other big projects are expected to be finished etc. It's already a regional hub that area of Hijaz. (Jeddah, Makkah, Ta'if etc.)

Sorry to be pendant here but Dubai is not a country. Just the name of one of the 7 emirates. The Emirate of Dubai is obviously best known for its city of Dubai.

I think i couldnt explain it properly....my bad....what i was trying to say is that there is nothing wrong in chosing a traditional look in designing any architecture of a place....i myself like some things purely in traditional way...its same in Pakistan as in middle east....we have very rich culture in art and architecture.....we should feel proud of the heritage...but when designing any interior or architecture of a place,we have to keep the usage and purpose of the place for which its gunna be built,in mind....since an airport is a commercial place where you wouldnt only have locals but foreingers as well visiting it quite often,not for long stays but a temporary one, so making sucha place completely eastern or traditional will be a disaster so would be best to choose modern or any mixed architecture.........same goes for a hospital and offices etc...but you can try it on places like resturants/hotels/homes/appartments etc because they are a living/resting areas for comperatively longer times hence can be designed in any specific way...

and then they are other economic reasons too...

no i would rather like to design our President or Prime Minister House than an Airport here:enjoy: would intentionally use raw material in construction of ceilings and walls so they can fall anytime on them:p: would use bad electrical wiring system so that they can get electric shocks every time they try to swtich on or off anything:p: wouldnt use windows and doors so they can be robbed anytime of the day:p: only this way we can get rid of our corrupt politicians:bunny: i will be doing a great favour and charity for my nation by doing this:enjoy:

Ettihad is amazing as well but the GCC is seriously the international hub for high-quality airlines.

You haven't been to OMAN Airways then, They beat qatar airways, etihad, gulf air hands down in fares, ambiance, fleet, food. Only negative thing is there ain't direct flights, most of flights have stop over at Oman and transit time like 5-10 hours, some might have 10 + hours and yet no hotel will be provided.!

So I am not the only one that is a big fan of Oman Airways? Good to see. I have only had good memories of that airline. Especially the food.

I think i couldnt explain it properly....my bad....what i was trying to say is that there is nothing wrong in chosing a traditional look in designing any architecture of a place....i myself like some things purely in traditional way...its same in Pakistan as in middle east....we have very rich culture in art and architecture.....we should feel proud of the heritage...but when designing any interior or architecture of a place,we have to keep the usage and purpose of the place for which its gunna be built,in mind....since an airport is a commercial place where you wouldnt only have locals but foreingers as well visiting it quite often,not for long stays but a temporary one, so making sucha place completely eastern or traditional will be a disaster so would be best to choose modern or any mixed architecture.........same goes for a hospital and offices etc...but you can try it on places like resturants/hotels/homes/appartments etc because they are a living/resting areas for comperatively longer times hence can be designed in any specific way...

and then they are other economic reasons too...

no i would rather like to design our President or Prime Minister House than an Airport here:enjoy: would intentionally use raw material in construction of ceilings and walls so they can fall anytime on them:p: would use bad electrical wiring system so that they can get electric shocks every time they try to swtich on or off anything:p: wouldnt use windows and doors so they can be robbed anytime of the day:p: only this way we can get rid of our corrupt politicians:bunny: i will be doing a great favour and charity for my nation by doing this:enjoy:

I largely agree.

LOL at your last part of your message. Hilarious. As a chemical engineer I can find quicker ways to make life miserable for him if necessary.:lol:

Nothing to write home about. Used to be awesome, but not anymore.

Like with everything in Kuwait nowadays. It all started so promising though. But still it's much better than 90% of all Muslim countries and most countries of the world but Kuwait has stagnated a lot since the sad events of the First Gulf War. It's like they have never really moved forward from that point on.

Yet the Kuwaiti Dinar is still the world's highest-valued currency unit. That has not changed.:lol:

Last edited:
Like with everything in Kuwait nowadays. It all started so promising though. But still it's much better than 90% of all Muslim countries and most countries of the world but Kuwait has stagnated a lot since the sad events of the First Gulf War. It's like they have never really moved forward from that point on.

Yet the Kuwaiti Dinar is still the world's highest-valued currency unit. That has not changed.:lol:
Its more political, wait a day or 2 and we might have another dissolved parliament.

Back
Top Bottom