What's new

DSA 2018: Pakistan in ‘primary level’ talks with Malaysia on JF-17

Mahathir is a strong leader.

But I think he is a just transition now because he is 92 years old.

A jet fighter purchase is a big decision and I don't think the new government will make that much of a difference to the strategic position.
Mahathir is a strong leader.
But I think he is a just transition now because he is 92 years old.
i thought they will be low this is what happened with eygpt

you are not getting this.

Pak-Malay relation started to improve in 1990s and reach bonsian episode and nuclear explosion create relation all time high and defence deals happens in 2001-02.
and in that time Prime Minister Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia was Mahathir Muhammad and Anwar Ibrahim, now the Mahathir Muhammad is sworn as Prime Minister and he has chosen Anwar Ibrahim as his successor after 2 years.

whatever defence deal happens with Malaysia in past was during Mahathir Muhammad's Premiership.

anza and bakhtar shikan deal happen during his reign. and the biggest thing is that he has views kind of Erdagon.

So what if it Mahathir is back?

Mahathir mentioned that Malaysia is currently 1 trillion Ringgit in debt.

The new government is going to go away with 6% percent consumption tax which will result in a lost of 40 Billion Ringgit in government revenue per year.

The new government promises to increase welfare spending, buying up privatized highway and not forgetting the 1mdb scandal which has to be cleaned up.

So tell me, how did u managed to rationalized the thought of Malaysia getting new jets when first they are already flying capable jets just as F18, SU30 and secondly, the Malaysia government is deep in debt.

So tell me, how did u managed to rationalized the thought of Malaysia getting new jets when first they are already flying capable jets just as F18, SU30 and secondly, the Malaysia government is deep in debt.
Maybe you need to reread what you wrote.
Hint: A country in debt wouldn't buy high end fighters because they are costly to buy and costly to maintain. This is where less costly aircrafts come handy. I hope that clears it

Maybe you need to reread what you wrote.
Hint: A country in debt wouldn't buy high end fighters because they are costly to buy and costly to maintain. This is where less costly aircrafts come handy. I hope that clears it

Maybe you need to rethink what your wrote.
Hint: A country in deep debt with no immediate security pressure wouldn't buy any fighters.

Hint: A country in deep debt with no immediate security pressure wouldn't buy any fighters.
I wouldn't deny that but if she has to purchase something and which she will, my point stands.

So what if it Mahathir is back?

Mahathir mentioned that Malaysia is currently 1 trillion Ringgit in debt.

The new government is going to go away with 6% percent consumption tax which will result in a lost of 40 Billion Ringgit in government revenue per year.

The new government promises to increase welfare spending, buying up privatized highway and not forgetting the 1mdb scandal which has to be cleaned up.

They take back the 1MDB money from Najib and they will have the fund.

I wouldn't deny that but if she has to purchase something and which she will, my point stands.

Again, you need to rethink your thought process.

Obviously you have no idea how procurement works.

If there isnt a need, why would they, and if there is a need, JF17 doesnt make the cut.

Again, you need to rethink your thought process.

Obviously you have no idea how procurement works.

If there isnt a need, why would they, and if there is a need, JF17 doesnt make the cut.
Thank you for your suggestion, Mr. Manager procurement - Global !

Thank you for your suggestion, Mr. Manager procurement - Global !
Come back when you rationalized your thoughts.

Mindless chest thumping doesnt make the discussion any useful.

Hopefully JF-17 can fulfill this criteria set by RMAF:

“As part of our future capability plans we are looking at a new [LCA] that will have some air-to-air and a full air-to-ground capability.” The official said, adding,” As well as being an air defender and ground-attack aircraft, the LCA(Light Combat AIrcraft) should also serve as a lead-in fighter trainer (LIFT) platform and should be ready for fielding in about 2021/22."

The COST Factor

The official noted that Malaysia’s traditional approach of acquiring large twin-seat and twin-engined aircraft because of its large maritime areas is now just too expensive given the downturn in the economy caused by the drop in the international oil price. “We cannot now do this because of our economic situation and so must now find something that is cheaper to buy and operate.”

http://www.janes.com/article/75502/...aircraft-as-part-of-wider-modernisation-plans

JF-17 seems to be competing with KA-50.

su 30 are very expensive to operate
mig 29 are out and retiring
f18 are expensive to operate

they wanted to lease 2-3 sq, for now gripen is top choice per offical sources as rafale, typhoons were too expenisve

but yes money will be an issue, Malaysia is not in any crisis

Malaysia has been making the same mistake many former colonial air forces make - they want to be a little poodle of an airforce with all the fancy gadgets bought from the West and say "Look at me, Look at me". These little puppy air forces have no real ability to defend their countries and dangerously tie their defence to the availability of spare parts and to Western support.

Mahathir is a different breed. He understands these things and moved Malaysia on a new path. The JF-17 has a chance with Mahathir in power.

To the posters who think Malaysia will buy nothing - you don't understand that national security cannot be compromised. Without a meaningful military, you are open to attack, invasion, conspiracy and intrigue. And all your fancy development will be in ruins. Take a quick look at the pictures from Iraq and Syria.

Malaysia will buy JF-17s. I strongly believe so.

Back
Top Bottom