What's new

DSA 2018: Pakistan in ‘primary level’ talks with Malaysia on JF-17

Weapon procurement is a dirty world, a lot of the big companies offer kickbacks to the people involved in signing off sales, a lot of states offer other deals as bundles.

For a lot of nations operating 70's, 80's era equipment, who want cheap modern alternatives, the JF-17 is a good choice, but that doesn't mean we'll get their custom, even if we strike a good deal. Nations under Russia's influence will still look to upgraded Mig-29's, nations under America's influence will still look to upgraded F-16's, because these are offered as part of other deals, like trade packages, or political support on other issues. We don't have that secondary weight, heck even France and Sweden regularly lose out on Rafale and Gripen sales because of that lack of secondary weight.

Currently Nigeria and Burma are confirmed customers, Azerbaijan, Malaysia, Sudan and a bunch of other countries are in the maybes.

Shut them both down please or get them amalgamated with the JFT sales thread.
A
Unfortunately, i cannot. May be some MOD will take care of it once they are on forum.

Alright Malays sit down on a kursi and listen to me:

Buy JF-17 !!

Malaysia will be a good customer. Said Pakistan is going to set up maintenance and repair facility in Malaysia for JF17.
Is it JF17II or III?
Another nice deal!

Alright Malays sit down on a kursi and listen to me:

Buy JF-17 !!
They will, the negotiation is undergoing.

image.jpeg

These days are real enjoyment to browse PDF, all damn good news!

Pakistan is the only Mulism and developing country that able to export advanced fighter jets.

The only Muslim supplier in the market.

Malaysia will phase out Mig29.
India has been planning to get them in order to upgrade to UPG standard.
Those ten Mig-29N were grounded, it's too old to fly. JF17 will be the backbone of Malaysia airforce. And Pakistan is going to set up maintenance and repair facility in Malaysia as reported.

A very sensible buy for the malaysians if they go for it. They can get much larger number of a very capable plane for their money compared to any other aircraft they might choose. Sadly, I personally think they will not.
The deal will be in numbers. Mark my words.

And now JF17 has twin seaters for maritime operation, that's very attractive for Malaysia.

Both Pakistan/China/Russia will get a cut in this deal,and Malaysia is getting a capable and cost-effective fighter. Win-win-win-win senario.

And there is a loser, Although I don't want to mention his name.:partay:

If it does come to fruition.
We will have the Su-30MKI(the malaysian M is just slightly different) and the JF-17 flying in the same force.

Moreover, Indian pilots fly exchanges with Malaysia and Pakistani pilots will be involved with this..

Soo

Awkward!
Su30 is the past and JF17 is the future.

for last nine years india is dreaming to have RMAF MIG 29s, keep your finger cross someday you will have them ;) ...
Hopeless

Weapon procurement is a dirty world, a lot of the big companies offer kickbacks to the people involved in signing off sales, a lot of states offer other deals as bundles.

For a lot of nations operating 70's, 80's era equipment, who want cheap modern alternatives, the JF-17 is a good choice, but that doesn't mean we'll get their custom, even if we strike a good deal. Nations under Russia's influence will still look to upgraded Mig-29's, nations under America's influence will still look to upgraded F-16's, because these are offered as part of other deals, like trade packages, or political support on other issues. We don't have that secondary weight, heck even France and Sweden regularly lose out on Rafale and Gripen sales because of that lack of secondary weight.

Currently Nigeria and Burma are confirmed customers, Azerbaijan, Malaysia, Sudan and a bunch of other countries are in the maybes.
Malaysia need Pakistan with them, the only nuclear capable Muslim country on this planet. And they need China's support to contain Singapore as well. This deal was long expected, and the birth of JF17 dual seater is the set in stone.

Hi,

It would be BLK 3 standards---for all future buyers---.

Give it anther year---with the 2 seater flying---there will be a line of buyers for the JF17.
:toast_sign:

The fLy-by- wire on JF17b had been updated to 3 axis 4 redundancy. And more composite material used, can carry more fuel with enlarged fuselage. Who don't love it if it's not expensive?

And it seems you'll dash our hopes completely by selling them JF17. Then they can never phase out Mig29.

I take back my previous post. ; )
Even LCA is considered to be a competitor, but you can only produce 7-8 of it annually. Not to mention you have 200 orders from IAF need to be fulfilled.

Last edited:
Even LCA is considered to be a competitor, but you can only produce 7-8 of it annually. Not to mention you have 200 orders from IAF need to be fulfilled.

Production rate has increased for LCA... If there is an order, supply can be adjusted... that is not the issue...

Production rate has increased for LCA... If there is an order, supply can be adjusted... that is not the issue...
And the unit cost?

And it seems you'll dash our hopes completely by selling them JF17. Then they can never phase out Mig29.

I take back my previous post. ; )
Those Mig29N is too old to fly, the only good place to go is wasteyard.

In those cases the host nations werent operating platforms that form the core of the adversaries capabilities and are part of praticed opsec.

F-7s are well known by India.

It is really a Mig-21

A lot of it is pretense. Bravado. France selling Rafales in the middle east using political clout. Today Pakistan is militarily equal to France, and can do the same.

Pakistan has a lot more scope of offering offets to most countries because its hard for the big powers to find offsets as their economies are saturated. Its like trying to barter with a rich person - he has everything so its hard for him to exchange something for something he doesn't need.

Malaysia has a host of products to offer as offsets. As do most African countries - raw materials for Pakistan's industries, at prices that will increase Pakistani industrial competitiveness.

Pakistan has something more to offer - world class training and support facilities. Compared to dealing with LM or Rosobornexport, immeasurably better.

Pakistan has something more to offer than China even - quality and effectiveness.

Being new in the major power block, Pakistan is just unsure of herself. Reminds me of myself - when I started going to the gym, I was a rather weak person. A few years passed and I didn't consider how strong I had become until push came to shove, then I was surprised at my own strength.

Pakistan cannot go toe to toe with the US or Russia politically. But a lot of countries are increasingly more independent. Malaysia certainly is, and is hated by the West for being so. Not everyone is a peon. Some do have a mind of their own, to varying degrees. Its not a binary calculus.

Before you give up, at least give it a try. Send high powered delegations with juicy deals to different countries. If you don't even try, then you are really selling yourself short.

first IAF need to induct in numbers than you consider LCA for exports @Novice09

We already know that but thank you... we also know that it is not easy to sell WEAPONS... a far more potent fighter jet, Grippen, is fighting hard with very little success...

Back
Top Bottom