What's new

Drone strike killed senior Haqqani network commander: officials

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Mullah Sangeen Zadran, blacklisted as a terrorist by the United Nations and United States, was among six fighters killed in a drone strike in a Haqqani stronghold area of North Waziristan agency. Zadran was wanted for kidnappings and sending hundreds of foreign fighters into Afghanistan.

The United States has blamed the Haqqani network, a faction of the Taliban waging a 12-year insurgency in Afghanistan, for a series of high-profile attacks in recent years.

Two announcements made by mosque loudspeaker in Miranshah, the main town in North Waziristan, said his funeral would take place at 3pm on Friday.

Two Pakistani intelligence officials, who spoke to news agency AFP on condition of anonymity, confirmed his death and said an Arab fighter was also among the dead.

Pakistani officials said the US drone fired two missiles, destroying a compound overnight in Dargah Mandi, a Haqqani stronghold about 10 kilometres from Miranshah.

Earlier reports had suggested six suspected militants were killed and three others wounded in the missile strike in the remote semiautonomous tribal area. Reports now confirm Zadran was among the dead.

In 2011, the US State Department described Zardan as shadow governor of Paktika, one of the most volatile Afghan provinces on the Pakistani border and as a lieutenant of Haqqani leader Sirajuddin Haqqani.

It alleged Zadran led fighters in attacks across southeastern Afghanistan, and was believed to have planned and coordinated the movement of hundreds of foreign fighters into Afghanistan.

He was also connected to roadside bombings and was believed to have orchestrated the kidnappings of Afghans and foreigners in the border region between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Pakistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs condemned the attack, calling it a violation of the country’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.

The government “has consistently maintained that drone strikes are counter-productive, entail loss of innocent civilian lives and have human rights and humanitarian implications”, the Foreign Office said in a statement hours after the attack.

The Pakistani government formally protests against US drone strikes as a violation of sovereignty, but Washington views them as a vital tool in the fight against al Qaeda and the Afghan Taliban.

US drone missiles have targeted areas near the Afghan border, including inside the North Waziristan tribal region, the main stronghold for various militant groups, some of which are said to be aligned with al Qaeda and the Afghan Taliban since 2004.

There has been a noticeable decline in the number of US drone strikes in Pakistan. According to an AFP tally there were 101 attacks in 2010, killing more than 670 people compared to 18 so far this year killing just over 100 people.
Drone strike killed senior Haqqani network commander: officials - DAWN.COM

Good news on occasion of 6th September. Thank you @CENTCOM

Last edited by a moderator:
A drone attack violated our sovereignty on our Defense day and you are cheering for CENTCOM??

@Aeronaut - haun dasu ki karyie - menu koi samjh nahin aye:undecided:
(tell me now what to do - I dont get this , why?

- its not about violation of sovereignty its about the killing of Lt. of Haqqani network. Is it to pressurerize them to assist US in due process? - to save face that they are still fighting the war and not dealing with Taliban? (more like a gimmick) or this guy was actually a rotten egg?

rot in hell!!!!!!!

look on the bright side atleast a pest got eliminated!!!!!!!!
@Pak-one is a afghani refugee supporting northern alliance and karzai. He is a qualified traitor and hates Pakistan Army.
Haqani network is not the one causing terrorism in Pakistan, HN is supported by Pak Army.

The US drone strikes has clear objectives:

-To target pro-Pakistani militant organizations so that they turn against Pakistan.

Like I have proposed already,the best solution is to use pro-Pakistani militant organization against anti-Pakistani like TTP etc.
The sooner we realize it the better,we cannot afford to wage war against those organizations who are pro-Pakistan.

-To target pro-Pakistani militant organizations so that they turn against Pakistan.

Like I have proposed already,the best solution is to use pro-Pakistani militant organization against anti-Pakistani like TTP etc.
The sooner we realize it the better,we cannot afford to wage war against those organizations who are pro-Pakistan.

Do you know what you are actually saying?
Haqqani's are the ones who are Mullah Omer's ambassador to US & Afghan. Even Afghan High Peace Council is in talks and sides with HN.
That is why am confused about this strike, I doing a little background study on the dead guy, that might clear up the situation.

Do you know what you are actually saying?
Haqqani's are the ones who are Mullah Omer's ambassador to US & Afghan. Even Afghan High Peace Council is in talks and sides with HN.
That is why am confused about this strike, I doing a little background study on the dead guy, that might clear up the situation.

Balixd,my simple context is that make them fight with each other,like US does..this will be much effective as compare to drone strike

Saray waday dharay kay dharay reh gaye.

Hum drone nhn honay dain gay bla bla bla.

In reality, all that comes is the usual formal statement from FO.

Haqqani network is neither pro-pakistan neither anti-pakistani, they are totally dedicated to Afghanistan and they are working on "kuch lo kuch do" principle with you. They dont fight against Pak army but they also refuse to fight with TTP for you. Haqqani network has working and ideological relationship with TTP, Hafiz gul bahadur group and maulvi nazir group so dont expect them to turn against any of these group for you.
As they are Afghans and Afghanistan based so they wont indulge in any kind of Pakistan-related battle, it is their and Afghan taliban policy.

I am sorry, but what do you mean by pro pakistan militant organization? What are they fighting for?

Shame on Pakistani Army who allows drone strikes and provides intel for it. Good Taliban are being targeted because of it

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom