What's new

DRDO working with MBDA for Akash Mk2 SAM

One question, why so many SAM development going on for same class? Isnt it best to deploy Barak 8 ER with Arudhra radar for Army and AF.

Even why going for development of Akash 2 or Maitri?

They aren't in the same class and that's the point. The QR SAMs mainly are diverted from AAM developments. Spyder SAM from Python V / Derby, MICA VL from MICA IR / EM..., while Akash or Barak missiles are far bigger and developed only as SAM systems. But as I said earlier, by the fact that we already develop the Barak 8 with comparable capabilities, for the same platforms, one could think about modifying Barak 8 in the same way we want to do it now with Brahmos, by developing a shorter and smaller version of the same missile. Barak 8 in a smaller size, used from the same launchers IA and IAF will have anyway, should be a rather simple trade off.
Don't know what the aims of Akash 2 are, possibly more range and some upgrades, while Maitri still remains to be a different class with different applications.

They aren't in the same class and that's the point. The QR SAMs mainly are diverted from AAM developments. Spyder SAM from Python V / Derby, MICA VL from MICA IR / EM..., while Akash or Barak missiles are far bigger and developed only as SAM systems. But as I said earlier, by the fact that we already develop the Barak 8 with comparable capabilities, for the same platforms, one could think about modifying Barak 8 in the same way we want to do it now with Brahmos, by developing a shorter and smaller version of the same missile. Barak 8 in a smaller size, used from the same launchers IA and IAF will have anyway, should be a rather simple trade off.
Don't know what the aims of Akash 2 are, possibly more range and some upgrades, while Maitri still remains to be a different class with different applications.

Yes, even why spending billion of dollars in developing a new missile, when DRDO already working on one. This is best to modify Barak-8 according to end user requirements.

I dont know but why not the DRDO proposing this solution to Army and AF.

Last edited:
Wow..Back again after a three Month ban...Feels good to see my fellow country men..
How have u been all..@ Abingdon boy

Yes, even why spending billion of dollars in developing a new missile, when DRDO already working on one. This is best to modify Barak-8 according to end user requirements.

I dont know but why not the DRDO proposing this solution to Army and AF.

Maitri SAM came up because DRDO failed with the Trishul SAM and by the time the Indo-French co-development was proposed, it made a lot of sense and I still think if we widen it to to a SR AAM development, we could replace 1000s of R73 missiles from our fighters too, which even increased the potential of Maitri as a missile. But if we look at it only as a SAM project for the army and the navy, with Barak 8 close to be ready now, further developing it to a mini version just as Brahmos M would make sense.

Well, DRDO prefers to claim something to be theirs and Maitri SAM is a new development, with MBDA basically only assisting them. Barak 8 is mainly develped by Rafael and DRDO had the minor part, so my guess is they go for the development that makes look them better. I would rather ask why IA and IN wouldn't push for commonality, if they have the chance with Barak 8.

Maitri SAM came up because DRDO failed with the Trishul SAM and by the time the Indo-French co-development was proposed, it made a lot of sense and I still think if we widen it to to a SR AAM development, we could replace 1000s of R73 missiles from our fighters too, which even increased the potential of Maitri as a missile. But if we look at it only as a SAM project for the army and the navy, with Barak 8 close to be ready now, further developing it to a mini version just as Brahmos M would make sense.

Well, DRDO prefers to claim something to be theirs and Maitri SAM is a new development, with MBDA basically only assisting them. Barak 8 is mainly develped by Rafael and DRDO had the minor part, so my guess is they go for the development that makes look them better. I would rather ask why IA and IN wouldn't push for commonality, if they have the chance with Barak 8.

Then isnt the best for DRDO to start working on Astra as QR-SAM, instead to start from scratch in Maitri?

And another question, the Akash SAM with 25 Km range and semi-active seeker, isnt it already obsolete?

Last edited:
Sir,can we somehow make further develop our Astra MK-1 as a QRSAM just like what the Americans did with the Sea sparrow???

Wow..Back again after a three Month ban...Feels good to see my fellow country men..
How have u been all..@ Abingdon boy
Good to see you back, I'm good bro let's hope you stay around a little longer this time ;)

Sir,can we somehow make further develop our Astra MK-1 as a QRSAM just like what the Americans did with the Sea sparrow???

Doubtful, because that again was a modification of an A2A missile to a sam, just as MICA is modified to the MICA VL as a land or naval based SAM. Akash as said, was just developed as a SAM and should be far too heavy and big to modify it completely again.

Akash 2 is supposed to have only minor upgrades.
are we getting seekers from France?

anyway i don t think this deal will materialize. ( if you look at the time taken for negotiations with France )

India was up for maitri for a long time, didnt see a deal coming. Surprisingly Akash satisfied the customers
now that that deal is lost, France want to help us with akash 2.

Akash 2 is supposed to have only minor upgrades.
are we getting seekers from France?

anyway i don t think this deal will materialize. ( if you look at the time taken for negotiations with France )

India was up for maitri for a long time, didnt see a deal coming. Surprisingly Akash satisfied the customers
now that that deal is lost, France want to help us with akash 2.

Akash has it's own purpose and the hype that IAF now builds around it, might not really be based on that missile and against Maitri, but can also be based on the aim of more Spyder SAM systems, which are the actual counterpart to Maitri.

Good to see you back, I'm good bro let's hope you stay around a little longer this time ;)
Well, depends on the admins over here..This is a Pakistani forum, what else I can expect.??
The Admin who blocked me, Provoked me and I responded in my own attitude, Hence the ban..
Well lets hope that, I don't get to have conversations with Admins..

Akash has it's own purpose and the hype that IAF now builds around it, might not really be based on that missile and against Maitri, but can also be based on the aim of more Spyder SAM systems, which are the actual counterpart to Maitri.

why would maitri would cost so much compared to barak 8 ?

dont know the actual contract but if israeli options are economical,

in that case wouldn t it be better if we develop spyder-8 systems with israeli based on spyder systems rather than going in for maitri ?

why would maitri would cost so much compared to barak 8 ?

dont know the actual contract but if israeli options are economical,

in that case wouldn t it be better if we develop spyder-8 systems with israeli based on spyder systems rather than going in for maitri ?

I wouldn't give too much about the figures speculated in the media and yes if you aim only at IA / IN requirements a smaller sized Barak 8 should be the better, since we already have that development and could simply expand it, rather than starting a new one.

Back
Top Bottom