What's new

DRDO working with MBDA for Akash Mk2 SAM

The Huskar

Reaction score
Country
India
Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Make In India campaign has infused new energy in French defence companies to start manufacturing units in the country. India is expected to invest $200 billion in the next decade to modernise its armed forces.

While some of the French defence companies have already tied up with Indian companies to start defence manufacturing units in India, their concern remains no clarity in policy and unavailability of skill manpower to meet the "new challenge".

French defence companies have linked up projects worth $35 billion for Indian armed forces including Dassault Aviation's Rafale jet fighters, short-range surface-to-air missiles (SRSAM) and mid-air refuellers. Some of these deals are in final stage of negotiations and the French companies are expecting positive response from the government in early 2015.

"We are encouraged by Make In India campaign and expect quick decision from the new government," said Jean-Michel Domitrovic, head of international affairs in Nexter, a company specializing in heavy road equipment for Army. The company already has an agreement with Ashok Leyland and Larsen and Toubro for manufacturing mounted ground system (MGS) apart from 1,480 total gun system (TGS) that will be domesticated.

Adding to this campaign, MBDA is working on the Indian design of its SRSAM missile called Maitri with the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).The company is also working with DRDO on Akash Mark 2 missile for the Indian Air Force. "We expect decision on the programme soon," said Jean-Paul Faye, head of battlefield and new cooperation division at MBDA.

Another French major DCNS, which is building Scorpene submarines for Indian Navy through its domestic partner Mazgaoin Docks Limited (MDL) in Mumbai, it is eyeing http://*********************/forum/images/smilies/rupee2.png 16,000 crore amphibious warships, called Landing Platform Docks (LPDs) project. DCNS has tied up with Indian private shipyard Pipavav for this project. The French defence companies also want to sell high grade defence equipment to monitor the space and to improve space intelligence.

Interesting, wonder what the aim of the joint Akash development is?

MBDA is a experienced player in this field & we should welcome their expertise
This will help us save time & resources

Of course they are a good company and I welcome any JV / co-development, just curious about this help since Akash seems to work well even without external help. If the info is correct, I would guess it must be something from the Maitri SAM development, that would be implemented in to the further development of Akash, but lets see. However, I still think that there is a chance to use the Barak 8 development downwards too, to cover the SR SAM area and that we might not need a complete new missile development. Wonder if the Israelis could offer that (lets call it Barak 8 Mini), as a counter proposal?

Of course they are a good company and I welcome any JV / co-development, just curious about this help since Akash seems to work well even without external help. If the info is correct, I would guess it must be something from the Maitri SAM development, that would be implemented in to the further development of Akash, but lets see. However, I still think that there is a chance to use the Barak 8 development downwards too, to cover the SR SAM area and that we might not need a complete new missile development. Wonder if the Israelis could offer that (lets call it Barak 8 Mini), as a counter proposal?

I think that is why Collaboration is happening

Asked MBDA. Not sure i'll get any answer though

What do you meant earlier? If I remember right, we talked about Maitri SAM, not Akash right?

Lower reaction time,less costly @sancho can tell you better

Lets keep talks in one thread...

... @Ammyy

It's lighter and smaller, which makes it more mobile and easy to implement it to more platforms. It's also more agile, since it benefits from MICAs TVC and benefits from different missile seekers, EM or IR.

Ok quite surprisingly i had an answer from MBDA. They are not involved in Akash which is 100% indian project. And yes MBDA is codevelopping Maitri. There is also a 8Kms range ATGW project.
No idea about an Akash 2.

Ok quite surprisingly i had an answer from MBDA. They are not involved in Akash which is 100% indian project. And yes MBDA is codevelopping Maitri. There is also a 8Kms range ATGW project.
No idea about an Akash 2.
Well this article only mentions the Mk.2 version sir, I don't think anyone assumed MBDA were working on the Mk.1. Any indications on the French side if the Maitri is still on as far as they are concerned? There was a lot of negative reports coming out saying the deal was on the verge of collapse.

Well this article only mentions the Mk.2 version sir, I don't think anyone assumed MBDA were working on the Mk.1. Any indications on the French side if the Maitri is still on as far as they are concerned? There was a lot of negative reports coming out saying the deal was on the verge of collapse.
Yes affirmative indication from MBDA. That is what surprised me, they are usually very shy. Eg i had to delete some figures(although they were only deductions from public source) when i wrote an article on DDM-NG.

There was a lot of negative reports coming out saying the deal was on the verge of collapse.

Negative reports mainly had 2 reasons, cost / ToT issues during the negotiation with MBDA and the fact that IAF not seems to want the Maitri SAM anymore, since they say they don't want to wait for it when they already have the Spyder SAM and in addition to that the Akash SAM.
The Maitri project is mainly aimed on IA and IN, in the same way Barak 8 is to both forces. IAF has it's low to medium range covered basically and is more interested in long range interceptors, be it Barak 8 or the Stunner.

Negative reports mainly had 2 reasons, cost / ToT issues during the negotiation with MBDA and the fact that IAF not seems to want the Maitri SAM anymore, since they say they don't want to wait for it when they already have the Spyder SAM and in addition to that the Akash SAM.
The Maitri project is mainly aimed on IA and IN, in the same way Barak 8 is to both forces. IAF has it's low to medium range covered basically and is more interested in long range interceptors, be it Barak 8 or the Stunner.

One question, why so many SAM development going on for same class? Isnt it best to deploy Barak 8 ER with Arudhra radar for Army and AF.

Even why going for development of Akash 2 or Maitri?

Back
Top Bottom