What's new

DRDO to unveil catapult gun system built on Arjun MBT Mk-I chassis | GSQR trials in May

Thts not wishful thinking .. You believe it's more a curated but it's not a fact... Also most of them can't fire missiles..have lower range and short life...Also the gun on Arjun is obsolete... Scroll back a few pages n read the thread link I posted.
:omghaha:Any expert on this forum itself will say that rifled guns are more accurate than smpothbore and that simply mean accuracy is preferred by IA ..MK 1's gun was designed as per IA's requirements. Maintaince is not a big problem as they can be replaced when required since guns are home built.

Lot of structural changes like what? Era on one side and mine plough?

As for the links you are free to google.. I'm using my iphone.. Hardl for me to post them coz if I do my post gets deleted as I view another page of browse.. Just type mk2 improvements and you will see..

Although words like improvement n capability to fire missile were enough for a sane guy who can read and comprehend in the first place .. Alas..

Here:

Livefist: India's Arjun Mk.2 Tank Revealed

Did you even read my post before ranting ??? I myself have mentioned about missile launch capability as improvement in MK 2 guns that' why problems of smoke filling the driver chamber has arisen.

Last edited:
:omghaha: You simply mean accuracy is obsolete when compared with maintance ??

No wonder poor Europeans n Americans went for smoothbores instead of awesome rifled guns.. Damn u smart!

Also enlighten us how a rifled gun is more accurate than a modern smoothbore.. Not to forget life,use of different rounds,missiles or even range?combat proven!?

MK 1's was designed as per IA's requirements. Maintaince is not a big problem as they can be replaced when required since guns are home built.
[/QUOTE]

Yes no wonder indian army went for t-90s with good numbers over 118+ Arjun's.. Or 124 mk2 under development MBTS's...

Hint: The gun of mk1 is obsolete not coz it's just rifled..

Did you even read my post before ranting ??? I myself have mentioned about missile launch capability as improvement in MK 2 guns that' why problems of smoke filling the driver chamber has arisen.

Damn you are so smart.. Poor me.. N even your jingoistic defence journalists.. :(

Last edited:
No wonder poor Europeans n Americans went for smoothbores instead of awesome rifled guns.. Damn u smart!

Also enlighten us how a rifled gun is more accurate than a modern smoothbore.. Not to forget life,use of different rounds,missiles or even range?

MK 1's was designed as per IA's requirements. Maintaince is not a big problem as they can be replaced when required since guns are home built.

Yes no wonder indian army went for t-90s with good numbers over 118+ Arjun's.. Or 124 mk2 under development MBTS's...

Hint: The gun of mk1 is obsolete not just coz it's rifled..

Damn you are so smart.. Poor me.. N even your jingoistic defence journalists.. :([/quote]

Projectile fired by Rifled guns are more stable due to spin imparted on them by the gun hence they are more accurate when compared with non spinning smoothbore not so stable projectile .

@sancho @AUSTERLITZ @Penguin @Manticore am I correct ??

I have a noob question,

Whats the difference between a 120mm MBT and 130MM SPG. Why is one a tank and the other a self propelled gun? Is it the range?
SPGs have slower projectiles that can be accurately shot in a parabolic path.....MBTs have faster projectiles that is shot in a straight path.....two different types of projectiles require two different type of guns....Since spgs(or any howitzer) are required to High Explosive rounds.....the projectiles are usually bigger and packed with more explosives....so their calibers are usually higher than a tank gun....but a tank can have a 150 mm gun and an spg can have a 120 mm gun...but it would be overkill for the tank and underkill for the howitzer!

Projectile fired by Rifled guns are more stable due to spin imparted on them by the gun hence they are more accurate when compared with non spinning smoothbore not so stable projectile .?

This is the 21 century ... No need for rifled tank guns anymore.. Modern ammo..tanks and their combat history are a proof themselves...

Yet nothing to prove the accuracy theory of yours...
And if I'm not wrong only challenger 2 is using a rifled gun .. And it's rifled gun is much much better than the obsolete gun used on Arjun mk1..

Last edited:
Why did they even bother with this? Are they that desperate?

They literally didnt even change the "turret" or whatever the hell that is from the original Catapult.

PIVrSO1.jpg

What I would've like to see is them use the licensed bofors with a modern turret like on Bhim.

0474.jpg

Eventually replace it with their own modern arty.

DRDO 155 mm artillery gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Exactly- this is a "jugaad" SPG, it's like 70s era CR@P.

This is the 21 century ... No need for rifled tank guns anymore.. Rounds/sabots..modern tanks and their combat history are a proof themselves... Yet nothing to prove the accuracy theory of yours...
Who is disputing the fact that it's not 21'st century ??There is a term called "trade off" . Now you are beating around the bush. Just answer me which gun is more accurate ??

And if I'm not wrong only challenger 2 is using a rifled gun .. And it's rifled gun is much much better than the obsolete gun used on Arjun mk1..

Would you care to elaborate on that ??How does MK 1 rifled gun is obsolete compared to Challenger 2's rifled gun ??

Who is disputing the fact that it's not 21'st century ??There is a term called "trade off" . Now you are beating around the bush. Just answer me which gun is more accurate ??

Lmao.. Trade off ??? Prove it??? It's short range,decreasing short life.. Combat?

Modern day rounds already discredit your theory.. Again there is a reason why Americans,Europeans n even ur Russians friends are using smoothbores ... It's not Cold War.. Tech has evolved...

Would you care to elaborate on that ??How does MK 1 rifled gun is obsolete compared to Challenger 2's rifled gun ??

Go through the last pages I'm sure u will understand :

PA TANKS comparison with contempory tanks | Page 48

This is the 21 century ... No need for rifled tank guns anymore.. Modern ammo..tanks and their combat history are a proof themselves...

Yet nothing to prove the accuracy theory of yours...
In simple words,Al Khilji Tank is world beater. Nothing comes closer.:pakistan::angel: Satisfied ?

In simple words,Al Khilji Tank is world beater. Nothing comes closer.:pakistan::angel: Satisfied ?
Here comes the dim jingoistic crap filled trolled with his usual BS n name calling ..

Somehow desperately trying to divert the topic n troll ... All cause he doesn't know jack about basic defence stuff...

But hey can't reply with facts let's rant n vomit .. Even if make him look like a dumbass.

Lmao.. Trade off ??? Prove it??? It's short range,decreasing short life.. Combat?

Modern day rounds already discredit your theory.. Again there is a reason why Americans,Europeans n even ur Russians friends are using smoothbores ... It's not Cold War.. Tech has evolved...
This didn't answer my question . I simply asked which one is more accurate ???

Does Pakistan has smart Beoidu guided ammo for it's smoothbore tank ?? Otherwise it doesn't make any difference between cold war ammo and ammo used now our days.

Go through the last pages I'm sure u will understand :

PA TANKS comparison with contempory tanks | Page 48

I asked you how Indian rifled gun is obsolete compared to UK ??? Forum discussions can't be cited as source. If you have proper source for comparison then quote me otherwise you would be wasting your and mine time.

Last edited:
This didn't answer my question . I simply asked which one is more accurate ???

And I asked is there a proof of tht theory?? What abt velocity? Decreased range etc? Why do all top line MBTS's use a smoothbore over a rifled gun? And have succeeded over their adversaries in real combat?????

Does Pakistan has smart Beoidu guided ammo for it's smoothbore tank ?? Otherwise it doesn't make any difference between cold war ammo and ammo used now our days.

Do modern rounds,missiles use gps,compas ?

Rounds like APFSDS or modern fined penetrators etc are already stable... Lmao ..

While the only advantage I see is a rifled gun firing HESH round (obsolete) with accuracy but than again its rifling screws it's performance n also screws other modern fined rounds .. Not to forget the deceased range and the wear and tear on the gun.. Which also gets fucked itself after a couple of dozen shots!!!!

While a smoothbore offers more muzzle velocity,range reliability n a longer life and even accuracy with modern rounds...etc.. Heck the Russian navy even considered long range smoothbores naval guns but got screwed coz of funding issue...

i asked you how Indian rifled gun is obsolete compared to UK ??? Forum discussions can't be cited as source. If you have proper source for comparison then quote me otherwise you would be wasting your and mine time.

Yes but with an arguement supported with hard data...

While what have you got? Patriotism?

Also most or should I say all rifled guns in service can't fire missiles..(I could be wrong)..
Theyhave lower range and short life aswell compared to smoothbores...

yes,Rifled Gun generally faces a lot more wear and tear than Smoothbore.but recent developments enabled us to reduce this gap to significant amount,if not completely.they don't have lower range,in fact,they've more accuracy.also,Rifled gun can fire missiles...Arjun-1 can fire Lahat.actually,Arjun can fire all existing type of missiles.you're still living in 60's where this kind of problems surfaced.its all about what you want from your gun.Rheinmettal's Smoothbore can't fire missiles(or atleast couldn't).in the past,there was time when Rifled Gun couldn't fire APFSDS rounds.but now,it can fire it without any hindarence.in fact,its smoothbore which can't fire HESH rounds.its the HEAT rounds,which couldn't be fired from Rifled guns in the past.but specially designed HEAT rounds can be fired now,which Arjun will use.

While the only advantage I see is a rifled gun firing HESH round (obsolete) with accuracy but than again its rifling screws it's performance n also screws other modern fined rounds .. Not to forget the deceased range and the wear and tear on the gun.. Which also gets fucked itself after a couple of dozen shots!!!!
While a smoothbore offers more muzzle velocity,range reliability n a longer life and even accuracy with modern rounds...etc.. Heck the Russian navy even considered long range smoothbores naval guns but got screwed coz of funding issue...

you've no clue about what you're talking about..right???New Rifled Gun has life over 400 rounds(holy fk,where did you find this 'few dozens' data??)wear and tear problem has been solved to much extent,thats why new guns can fire APFSDS as well as HEAT rounds.seriously,you should study more.and who told you "HESH" is obsolete???HESH is multipurpose round which can be used against tank,soldiers as well as buildings.the declining of use is not for its effectiveness,but love for Smoothbore guns,where this round can't be used.but still,a lot of tanks as well as arty pieces use this ammo.seriously,some times I wonder whether you just post for trolling,or you just don't know.

Last edited:
@DESERT FIGHTER -ji,
Arjun's rifled gun is quite uncommon in the current world tank scene,I agree,but that doesn't make the gun "obsolete".But Arjun is capable of firing all sorts of modern rounds with an addition of HESH rounds.The gun was built according to the requirement of IA.India has displayed its ability to manufacture smoothbore guns (T-72 &T-90).The pros and cons of Smoothbore and Rifled guns are matter of debate,with smoothbores being more easily serviceable and rifled guns not clearly holding any advantages other than firing HESH.

Since Arjun's guns are capable of firing all modern rounds(FSAPDS,HEAT etc) plus HESH,Arjuns gun is not obsolete.

Back
Top Bottom