What's new

DRDO to unveil catapult gun system built on Arjun MBT Mk-I chassis | GSQR trials in May

I have a noob question,

Whats the difference between a 120mm MBT and 130MM SPG. Why is one a tank and the other a self propelled gun? Is it the range?

its the role man...a 120mm MBT is Tank,whose role is to fill up "Heavy Direct Fire"...SPG generally provides "Indirect Fire" as well as limited "Direct Fire" capability.only difference from towed gun is,it can be maneuvered under its own power.also,it has substantial amount of protection against other arty pieces which they don't.so,both are used for different purposes.

Ok I had been wrong earlier, but what is the diffrence between this and Bheem

I have a noob question,

Whats the difference between a 120mm MBT and 130MM SPG. Why is one a tank and the other a self propelled gun? Is it the range?
An MBT tank is for direct fire, to engage other armour .A tank more or less fires line of sight. hence it only fires about 3 kilometers.
Tank is heavily armoured on the other hand SPG's are lightly armoured and are for Long range fire support from slightly behind the Frontlines.range is roundabout 30 or so, kilometers

Last edited:
What is the correlation of barrel length with range? The longer barrel seems to lob shells at longer ranges...
Tanks have shorter barreled guns..

An MBT tank is for direct fire, to engage other armour a tank more or less fires line of sight. hence it only fires about 3 kilometers.
Tank is heavily armoured on the other hand SPG's are lightly armoured and are for Long range fire support from slightly behind the Frontlines.range is roundabout 30 or so, kilometers

That's right. however Tanks like Arjun can fire ATGM having range of 8 KM.

DRDO to Unveil New Gun System | idrw.org

Ah just the man I was looking for!

So other than the calibre, there is no difference between a MBT and a SPG/SPH? Of course, a MBT would be faster and have better maneuverability, but all that can be attributed to the size and weight of the gun.

No man,u have it wrong.MBTs have a smoothbore cannon whose main job is direct fire with armour piercing rounds.
Self PGs are merely a howitzer on a tracked vehicle,it fires a parabolic trajectory High explosive round for area of effect damage with low armour piercing ability.Its main job is indirect fire from rear areas kilometres away to provide fire support.Its given a tarcked chassis so the artillery can keep up with moving armoured divcisions tanks and provide constant mobile fire support.Also being more mobile they are far less vulnerable to counter battery fire from enemy guns.
The tank on the other hand acts as a battering ram for direct combat to crush enemy lines through brute force.Its the main frontline weapon of a conventional land army.

What is the correlation of barrel length with range? The longer barrel seems to lob shells at longer ranges...
Tanks have shorter barreled guns..

Longer barrel gives an increased muzzle velocity to ammunition fired through it.

No man,u have it wrong.MBTs have a smoothbore cannon whose main job is direct fire with armour piercing rounds.
Self PGs are merely a howitzer on a tracked vehicle,it fires a parabolic trajectory High explosive round for area of effect damage with low armour piercing ability.Its main job is indirect fire from rear areas kilometres away to provide fire support.Its given a tarcked chassis so the artillery can keep up with moving armoured divcisions tanks and provide constant mobile fire support.Also being more mobile they are far less vulnerable to counter battery fire from enemy guns.
The tank on the other hand acts as a battering ram for direct combat to crush enemy lines through brute force.Its the main frontline weapon of a conventional land army.

The tanks play different role for different nations as they have different approaches.

West designed tanks as breakthrough vehicles where as Russians designed tanks as mobile bunker/tank destroyers.

Has the smoke in chamber issues revolved in Arjun yet? Also Arjun 1 isn't capable of firing atgms..

Mark 1 was shown to fire Lahat long time ago.

I have a noob question,

Isn't the difference in the electronics....? i mean MBT's have active protection systems, on board computers for trajectories and stuff plus Laser threat warning systems......
I don't think SPGs have those plus they are only meant as fire support for the infantry, nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom