What's new

Double standards? Indians in US missions grossly underpaid

The India-US stand-off over Devyani Khobragade has brought Indian employees at the US Embassy and diplomatic missions in India, and the human resource policies they follow, under intense scrutiny.

Employees working with American missions in India have begun speaking out against the double standards of the US, and have revealed how many of them earn far less than their American counterparts do for doing the same job and working similar hours.

In fact, in the case of some semi-skilled staff, the wages are below those prescribed under India's Minimum Wages Act.

The US Diplomatic Security Service had on December 12 arrested Khobragade for allegedly underpaying her domestic help vis-à-vis American law, and misrepresenting the pay information in visa documents.

She was released on bail, but the charges against her remain.

While the starting salary for a US mission official is about $31,000 (Rs 19.2 lakh) per year plus allowances, it can go up to $151,000 (Rs 93.4 lakh) for a diplomat and $199,000 (Rs 1.23 crore) for the Ambassador, besides allowances.

The salary for the Indian Ambassador to the US, on the other hand, hovers around an approximate $8,000 (Rs 4.94 lakh).

Sample this: an employee of the US Embassy sent in his salary slip to this newspaper.

As a visa officer, the employee said he earned Rs 17,000 per month, a far cry from the Rs 1.55 lakh ($2,500) his American counterpart made exclusive of allowances and a free house.

In India, US diplomats even get a 20 per cent hardship allowance, which goes up to 25 per cent for their consulate in Kolkata.

The offer letter sent in by another employee, working as a visa clerk, showed his salary to be Rs 1,64,473 per annum - a pittance compared to that of an American equal, who would also be entitled to other allowances.

One security guard gets Rs 8,000 per month for an eight-hour daily shift, which is way below what's specified in the Act.

The US mission refrained from making any official comment, but officials claimed off the record that Indians know they have to work at lower wages as local employees.

"They are free to leave if they are not happy," a US mission source said.

Read more: Double standards? Indian employees of US missions claim they are paid 'a pittance' | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Not sure if the logic used in this essay makes sense.

so if the US citizen gets $2500 per month to work in India,

An Indian citizen should get $2500 per month to work in India.

Is that it?

Or I misunderstood?

Ok I ain't getting into the mathematics of wages and inferences of diplomatic laws, but as far as the double standards of the US are concerned I'm in cent per cent agreement! They bend laws as per their convenience.

we all know Indians in general are trying to find an excuse to catch a fish in the net but this what it states makes no sense and sounds like clutching on straws ..

Lol! thanks for pointing out the typo.

Sure, lets see how it progresses. Either Devyani comes to India without trial in US or every body gets punished for breaking the law, mark my words.
Considering my typing is awful...case of the pot calling the kettle black...lol

Ok I ain't getting into the mathematics of wages and inferences of diplomatic laws, but as far as the double standards of the US are concerned I'm in cent per cent agreement! They bend laws as per their convenience.
Which laws are being bent....we apply the law...it's you guys begging to have them bent.

yea they should pay like they do to Americans and that's we call YOU *** a double standard country, well or a country with no standard at all. and second thing YOU *** Stinks so bad even though i dint smell it i can still say it, see the power of STINKY YOU ***.

i do not find any meaning in what you just said above.
but what ever it is it is clear that
Indian's working in YOU *** embassy are treated like slaves and are paid 3 to 4 times less so you are committing crime by your law.
but again it's a no problem for you guys but the same thing is done by Khobragade(charges not proved) so this shows YOU *** is of double standards.

and you think im hyperventilating? well you are right im hyperventilating by the Stinky smell of YOU ***.
They are free to quite and collect scrap like most there....pretty sure we don't hold their passports, etc.

Last edited:
"They are free to leave if they are not happy," a US mission source said.

This^^. Take it or leave it, Indians. If given a chance, 90% Indians would die to work at embassies of Western countries.

nada nada nada, your kind heart melts to see the Americans struggling in another country but the same heart become made in diamond to see a villi in Devyani.

You got it wrong- I use my logical brain :D

yea they should pay like they do to Americans and that's we call YOU *** a double standard country, well or a country with no standard at all. and second thing YOU *** Stinks so bad even though i dint smell it i can still say it, see the power of STINKY YOU ***..

tell us , is it just you that was born stupid in your family tree or will India be cursed with more of your Ghatiya class in the future?

yea they should pay like they do to Americans and that's we call YOU *** a double standard country, well or a country with no standard at all. and second thing YOU *** Stinks so bad even though i dint smell it i can still say it, see the power of STINKY YOU ***.

i do not find any meaning in what you just said above.
but what ever it is it is clear that
Indian's working in YOU *** embassy are treated like slaves and are paid 3 to 4 times less so you are committing crime by your law.
but again it's a no problem for you guys but the same thing is done by Khobragade(charges not proved) so this shows YOU *** is of double standards.

and you think im hyperventilating? well you are right im hyperventilating by the Stinky smell of YOU ***.

you had it right in the 1st sentence. you are too stuck on stupid to comprehend what is written.

Last edited:
Well just arrest them..put them in jail, release on bail with their passport confiscated. Just say to US, let our court decide on the issue.. (Delay the court proceedings as much as you can).;)

You got it wrong- I use my logical brain :D

tell us , is it just you that was born stupid in your family tree or will India be cursed with more of your Ghatiya class in the future?

you had it right in the 1st sentence. you are too stuck on stupid to comprehend what is written.

it's just that you are one more stinky NON REQUIRE INDIAN and every one knows that, so go clean your master's *** slave.
you do not have any fucking answer you are in trap so you are saying every one stupid that shows how lame you are. _!_

Lol....your reading comprehension is a joke. The article states how much MORE we pay our diplomats. And what India pays its diplomats is not our concern. You expect the US to pay the Indian diplomatic corps? Are all of you seriously this retarded?

I'm sure you have a selective memory syndrome. Remember Raymond Davis case (Raymond Allen Davis incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Can you answer me - why this guy was not sentenced even after killing people in Pakistan. At that point the same US government was crying out 'Diplomatic Immunity'. Now tell me who is the master of double standards.

"Take it or leave it, Indians."

Now, imagine a white male American in the *** telling an unemployed black or female worker: you will get 50% of what a white male gets. "Take it or leave it". He would be in jail for racism / sexism in short order.

But of course we are talking about the *** here - the same people who force their oil companies to pay 10 times as much for a minor oil spill near their own country, compared to what their company paid for Bhopal, where countless humans dies in agony or were blinded.

The same *** that jailed three innocent Uyghur civilians in Afghanistan (where they had fled to escape persecution), held them without trial, tortured them, kept them imprisoned for several years even AFTER they were proven to be imprisoned - and at the end, refused to even let them settle in the US, pay any compensation or punish those guilty of wrongfully imprisoning them. Human rights, Yeah!

I'm sure you have a selective memory syndrome. Remember Raymond Davis case (Raymond Allen Davis incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Can you answer me - why this guy was not sentenced even after killing people in Pakistan. At that point the same US government was crying out 'Diplomatic Immunity'. Now tell me who is the master of double standards.
We got our guy back...that's what matters.

"Take it or leave it, Indians."

Now, imagine a white male American in the *** telling an unemployed black or female worker: you will get 50% of what a white male gets. "Take it or leave it". He would be in jail for racism / sexism in short order.

But of course we are talking about the *** here - the same people who force their oil companies to pay 10 times as much for a minor oil spill near their own country, compared to what their company paid for Bhopal, where countless humans dies in agony or were blinded.

The same *** that jailed three innocent Uyghur civilians in Afghanistan (where they had fled to escape persecution), held them without trial, tortured them, kept them imprisoned for several years even AFTER they were proven to be imprisoned - and at the end, refused to even let them settle in the US, pay any compensation or punish those guilty of wrongfully imprisoning them. Human rights, Yeah!
It was a shame to hold them. Terrorist should be shot....not held.

Regarding to the topic, India should arrest some US female diplomats working in India .....

Guantanamo bay prison couldn't be close down and allow the prisoner to return home to join terrorist group for planning to attack US interest abroad. No other solution better to jail the inmate till US government can come up with other alternative to close down the Guantanamo bay prison.

We got our guy back...that's what matters.

It was a shame to hold them. Terrorist should be shot....not held.

Well your policy get yours NYC building got down.

The same way we can get our lady back and give US a Finger...... now entire US staff afraid to move out from its Embassy in India. especially your ambassador , fear of getting arrested because they broke many indian laws.

Back
Top Bottom