What's new

Does India need 8,000 Km Range missile?

The most important advantage of an SSBN, besides that it is a mobile nuclear launch plattform, is that it is hard to detect. So we can operate these plattforms closer to China, without beeing detected an having a 2nd strike option. With this advantage, we need missiles with a useful range to hit all important targets, even if they are deeper inside of China, but the longer the missile flys, the more time the opponent has to detect and intercept it. That's why it's more useful to have an SSBN operated in the east, with a medium range SLBM that gives very low response times, than one in Indian waters with a long range SLBM.

But with 4000 KM K 4 our subs will be forced to be near Chinese waters and may get detected by PLAN SSNs

and even with 6,000 KM SLBM we will have the option of moving our SSBN close to Chinese waters and fire SLBM

The main advantage the 6,000 KM SLBM provides us is it will make it hard for the Chinese planners to anticipate the positions of our SSBNs as our SSBNs would be able to target deep inside china even being away from Chinese waters

But with 4000 KM K 4 our subs will be forced to be near Chinese waters and may get detected by PLAN SSNs

It's much easier to detect and counter a balistic missile flying at high altitude for several 1000s of Km, than a sub anywhere in the waters around China in silent mode. So the later is clearly the better choice, but as I said, the range of the SLBM must be sufficient enough to reach all targets, if 4000Km are enough, that would be the best choice, if more is needed, we need anothe SLBM, but not to launch missiles from Indian areas.

It's much easier to detect and counter a balistic missile flying at high altitude for several 1000s of Km, than a sub anywhere in the waters around China in silent mode. So the later is clearly the better choice, but as I said, the range of the SLBM must be sufficient enough to reach all targets, if 4000Km are enough, that would be the best choice, if more is needed, we need anothe SLBM, but not to launch missiles from Indian areas.

Offcoarse.

But SLBM with 6,000 KM range will enable our boomers to simultaneously target Pakistan and China, while remaining away from the reach of Chinese sub hunters and PN

A 6's max range will be around 6,800 KM and thus even if it is fired from south India, it can hit Harbin

Why I said We need 6,000 KM SLBM is with such range Indian SSBNs could fire their missiles from much safer positions, even from home waters
@sancho @Capt.Popeye> your comments are welcome

My comments:
In the first place Nuclear weapons have been given a far greater "value" than they intrinsically deserve.

About a 6000km+ ranged BMs; they may be strategically desirable for some reasons that have already been mentioned. Though practically speaking A5 in operationalised status fulfils most of the Indian requirements esp if a SLBM version is inducted. After that; it is important that the capability is created more than creation of the arsenal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Offcoarse.

But SLBM with 6,000 KM range will enable our boomers to simultaneously target Pakistan and China, while remaining away from the reach of Chinese sub hunters and PN

We don't need SSBNs to have a 2nd strike option against Pakistan, fighters with nuclear payloads can do the same because that's a thread next door. The main targets of China on the other side are out of reach for IAF, which makes it urgent to have a secondary alternative to our land based nuclear missiles against them. That's where projecting power comes in, which is why we need nuclear subs and capable carriers and carrier fighters, because you send the our force to their area.

IIRC, India capped the maximum missile range to 5000km due to American pressure. Of course, no one knows what the true range is, I am sure it way more then 5,000, but to keep the Americans happy, India stated 5,000km???

If India (by that I mean the sissy, corrupt GoI) had any balls (which we know it doesn't), it should have told the Americ*nts to F off and tested a 8,000km range missile and make it clear to the world that India will do what is necessary to secure it's interests.

IIRC, India capped the maximum missile range to 5000km due to American pressure. Of course, no one knows what the true range is, I am sure it way more then 5,000, but to keep the Americans happy, India stated 5,000km???

If India (by that I mean the sissy, corrupt GoI) had any balls (which we know it doesn't), it should have told the Americ*nts to F off and tested a 8,000km range missile and make it clear to the world that India will do what is necessary to secure it's interests.

you really an israeli??

The main advantage the 6,000 KM SLBM provides us is it will make it hard for the Chinese planners to anticipate the positions of our SSBNs as our SSBNs would be able to target deep inside china even being away from Chinese waters

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian...-8-000-km-range-missile-14.html#ixzz2OZV9Nfsp

You are looking at the safety of a Indian submarine involved in a SLBM launch by India and forgetting the subsequent massive retaliation by China (in Mts and not Kts) on India whose geography is not movable.

India has maintained a minimum credible deterrence, what does that mean to you?
India does not have trillions in FOREX like China, neither it is printing USDs a la US.
Soviet Union was disintegrated why? because the US outspent them during Reagan.
India is loosing money (150 billion yearly) due to trade imbalance, beside huge current account deficit at home.
Look at all the angles pls.

You are looking at the safety of a Indian submarine involved in a SLBM launch by India and forgetting the subsequent massive retaliation by China (in Mts and not Kts) on India whose geography is not movable.

India does not have trillions in FOREX like China, neither it is printing USDs a la US.
India is loosing money (150 billion yearly) due to trade imbalance, beside huge current account deficit at home.

pray tell me one good reason why this line of logic is not applicable to India - pAkistan equation ;)

Retaliation will happen between any two nuclear powers in MAD.

But I still cannot understand the relation between your post and India developing a 8000 km ICBM/SLBM ??

The whole point of developing a ICBM/SLBM is to ensure that it will provide us with a credible deterrent.

Agni 6 is confirmed

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&r...mekzlqBgf8wbw19vW-vdDhg&bvm=bv.44342787,d.bmk

I repeat question

Does India need 8,000 Km Range missile?

We need Agni-6 but not right now. We should give emphasis to Agni 4 and 5 more. After they are inducted into our strategic forces command then we can go for it.

Back
Top Bottom