What's new

Do Chinese celebrate Christmas?

Do Sinitic influenced nations like PRC, Japan and Korea celebrate this largely Western Festival? I heard 20 years ago, most Chinese in China never considered putting an Xmas tree in their homes and was seen as something alien.
Xmas is christian holiday so most sane peoples do not celebrate Xmas

Still the spring festival is our traditional and official holiday. All family members outside will come back home and enjoy the warm of family.

In China, when Christmas, people are encouraged to spend money. Some people even don't know what they are celebrating for....
Exactly. Xmas is retailers wet dream to put indebted people more in debt.

Xmas is the birthday of Chairman Mao, the Spring Festival remains as the biggest holiday in China.

no, we dont celebrate it. but we will see plenty of xmax trees and decorations on the streets. young people loves it but dont know what they are celebrating

I won't comment about China or Japan but yes, Christmas is celebrated in full force in South Korea. Till the 70s, S.Korea was largely atheist with second majority of Buddists (although officially, S.K is Buddhist).

However, the influx of Evangelics in S.K brought about by the US cultural dominance has literally changed the entire landscape of South Korea. When I say literally, then it is quite the case. Anyone who had landed in Seoul, Busan or other Korean cities will note that almost every roof of a house has a cross which denotes a Christian following. When I first visited Seoul in 1985, its television and radio broadcasting was totally in control of the US forces. English language television news (if I remember it was KRBC) had a US uniformed officer reading world news. Access to or around US bases to South Koreans per se was only by virtue of South Korean women married to American husbands. If you happened to be a Korean male, you didn't get any entry.

A lot has changed since the 80s especially. South Korea has gone more vibrant and more independent of US military control over its day to day affairs (which is also a result of the crashing down of the Iron Curtain cold war).

Christianity is on the spread in S.Korea and in the near future, one may expect at least 70% of the population converting to the word of the Lord.

I heard that the actual and potential number of Christians exceeds that of Communists in China these years.

I heard that the actual and potential number of Christians exceeds that of Communists in China these years.
It could take on a lot more percentage .
Already the CCP has been far more lenient towards the Church - provided they don't use religion as a tool to destabilise China. What applies to Buddhists, Taoists, Muslims , applies to Christians in China too.

I won't comment about China or Japan but yes, Christmas is celebrated in full force in South Korea. Till the 70s, S.Korea was largely atheist with second majority of Buddists (although officially, S.K is Buddhist).

However, the influx of Evangelics in S.K brought about by the US cultural dominance has literally changed the entire landscape of South Korea. When I say literally, then it is quite the case. Anyone who had landed in Seoul, Busan or other Korean cities will note that almost every roof of a house has a cross which denotes a Christian following. When I first visited Seoul in 1985, its television and radio broadcasting was totally in control of the US forces. English language television news (if I remember it was KRBC) had a US uniformed officer reading world news. Access to or around US bases to South Koreans per se was only by virtue of South Korean women married to American husbands. If you happened to be a Korean male, you didn't get any entry.

A lot has changed since the 80s especially. South Korea has gone more vibrant and more independent of US military control over its day to day affairs (which is also a result of the crashing down of the Iron Curtain cold war).

Christianity is on the spread in S.Korea and in the near future, one may expect at least 70% of the population converting to the word of the Lord.

It's like a modern day Crusade.

But China will always be majority Atheist. Luckily the CCP has been clamping down on underground churches and other such nonsense.

May be today every festival is shopping day, store and businessman love festival;
My mother is a Christian, but they only eat Mutton soup at church for lunch, money from every member(from 2¥/one when I was a child to 8¥/one now), that's all.

It's like a modern day Crusade.

But China will always be majority Atheist. Luckily the CCP has been clamping down on underground churches and other such nonsense.

To a greater degree, majority Atheism for China has worked very well. Unlike in some countries where religion hinders development .

N.O. Christmas to me is a free day of work.

But let's look at it this way. China really gets to celebrate X'mas in any case because much of international shipments are out before X'mas, new orders for merchandise don't happen until after CNY.
To many Chinese in Mainland China - the true holiday mood begins from X'Mas holidays and lasts throughout Chinese New Year. The small number of working weeks in between XMas and CNY are basically catch up + clean up .

But let's look at it this way. China really gets to celebrate X'mas in any case because much of international shipments are out before X'mas, new orders for merchandise don't happen until after CNY.
To many Chinese in Mainland China - the true holiday mood begins from X'Mas holidays and lasts throughout Chinese New Year. The small number of working weeks in between XMas and CNY are basically catch up + clean up .

You're mistaken buddy.

There is no Christmas Holiday in China.

I guess you are thinking of HK, which only has a Christmas holiday as a remnant of the colonial era.

Back
Top Bottom