What's new

Discussion on HOBS capability for PAF.

via HKHAN at pakdef
PAF's AIM-9M 8/9 comes very close to AIM-9X. I believe PAF has close to 710 M in its inventory.

Pakistan's AIM-9 8/9 which have reprogrammable circuit card which replaced 5 circuit cards. According to Raytheon reprogrammable circuit is very close to making 8/9 into X Block I. So my understanding is that what PAF actually needs reprogrammable software for M 8/9 into making it a Block 1 AIM-9X, which is around $60K per missile. According to some source PAF has the leverage to return its 8/9 in exchange to X.

via HKHAN at pakdef
PAF's AIM-9M 8/9 comes very close to AIM-9X. I believe PAF has close to 710 M in its inventory.

Pakistan's AIM-9 8/9 which have reprogrammable circuit card which replaced 5 circuit cards. According to Raytheon reprogrammable circuit is very close to making 8/9 into X Block I. So my understanding is that what PAF actually needs reprogrammable software for M 8/9 into making it a Block 1 AIM-9X, which is around $60K per missile. According to some source PAF has the leverage to return its 8/9 in exchange to X.

In terms of processing power for the seeker perhaps, but the 9X is still a very different beast.

Doesn't the AIM-9X have some mods to it's motor as well?

I don't think only software tweaks will make it into AIM-9X...

There are hardware features as well such as cooling system, 3D TVC (I reckon you would need new nozzles for that).

via HKHAN at pakdef

How can the cost for software be 60K usd per missile?

How can the cost for software be 60K usd per missile?

Commercial price for the added feature...

Maybe you understand that Turkey payed 5 million per F16 to have only some nations being seen as not friendly (no enemy either) with the delivered IFF. Just do explain how comes a few lines in the source code of the IFF cost per plane 5 million USD. :) That is what you pay for to get it altered. There is difference between cost of the labor or parts.

Is AIM-9X offer much more then IRIS-T, ASRAAM or MAA-1B, A-Darter? if yes what it is?

What I know is that AIM-9X-2 was an omni role missile to be, with capability to hit ground moving targets, does any other similar missile have it and what will be pros having this capability?

I would personally prefer the PAF to opt for the IRIS-T. The very fact that a single missile can be deployed on both Vipers and Thunders with credible HOBS capability is a big plus and would be a cheaper solution in the long run.

I dont think Pakistan has access to source code of F-16 that it can modify to carry non-US weapon. IRIS-T is a German missile.

I dont think Pakistan has access to source code of F-16 that it can modify to carry non-US weapon. IRIS-T is a German missile.

It's based on the same interface. If a plane can mate with AIM9, IRIS-T can be used.

It's based on the same interface. If a plane can mate with AIM9, IRIS-T can be used.

Think it should be confirmed, not basing it on assumption or speculation. If this was the case, Pakistan does have French missiles which they would have integrated by now.

Think it should be confirmed, not basing it on assumption or speculation. If this was the case, Pakistan does have French missiles which they would have integrated by now.

IRIS-T is German design, plus that was the whole point, to replace AIM9 with a more capable weapon, without needing to modify the system architecture.

Well the IAF has selected the ASRAAM missile as the HOBS for Jaguar strike fighters.
Whereas MICA missiles will find their way in IAF mirages & rafales.

Back
Top Bottom