What's new

Discussion on HOBS capability for PAF.

@airmarshal l Greeks already have IRIS-Ts deployed on their F-16 Block-52s which validates its integration.

@airmarshal l Greeks already have IRIS-Ts deployed on their F-16 Block-52s which validates its integration.

i think you did not get my point. Only few countries were given access to source code of F-16. Pakistan was not among them.

Turkey has access to it. That is why they have integrated local weapons to it. I m not sating IRIS-T cant be integrated, it can be. Its just that we might not be able to do it.

Commercial price for the added feature...

Maybe you understand that Turkey payed 5 million per F16 to have only some nations being seen as not friendly (no enemy either) with the delivered IFF. Just do explain how comes a few lines in the source code of the IFF cost per plane 5 million USD. :) That is what you pay for to get it altered. There is difference between cost of the labor or parts.

At the beginning yes. But at 2011, US congress had given full approval. And now the TAI's own Viper software ÖZGÜR is about to be integrated to all 244 F16s.

F-16 Versions - F-16 MLU

It simple software version u are given nothing else, you already have MIL1553 and Mil Std 1760

M4.1 tape

• Introduction of advanced short-range missile, as a replacement for the current Sidewinder (AIM-9X, IRIS-T)
  • Integration of advanced Link-16 functions
  • Integration of SNIPER targeting pods

F-16 Versions - F-16 MLU

It simple software version u are given nothing else, you already have MIL1553 and Mil Std 1760

M4.1 tape

• Introduction of advanced short-range missile, as a replacement for the current Sidewinder (AIM-9X, IRIS-T)
  • Integration of advanced Link-16 functions
  • Integration of SNIPER targeting pods
MLU plus Blk 52 has it all

i think you did not get my point. Only few countries were given access to source code of F-16. Pakistan was not among them.

Turkey has access to it. That is why they have integrated local weapons to it. I m not sating IRIS-T cant be integrated, it can be. Its just that we might not be able to do it.

I do not think if PAF wants to integrate IRIS-Ts, the Lockheed.M would have an issue.

Perhaps ask the Germans for a few samples to pressure US into releasing the AIM9x?

Big plus of IRIS-T is that it has longer range than the AIM-9X, it can be integrated on both Vipers and Thunders through JHMCS and South African Cobra HMS (PAF reportedly evaluating it). Greek F-16s with JHMCS and SAAF Gripens with Cobra HMS are already operations with IRIS-Ts integrated.

Big plus of IRIS-T is that it has longer range than the AIM-9X, it can be integrated on both Vipers and Thunders through JHMCS and South African Cobra HMS (PAF reportedly evaluating it). Greek F-16s with JHMCS and SAAF Gripens with Cobra HMS are already operations with IRIS-Ts integrated.
Would the Germans release it to the Pakistani forces considering they are hoping to get their subs on the horizon for India's tender for subs. I think there have been some problems with procurement before otherwise PAF might have gone for it.
Araz

@araz l Sir the Indian order is of French Scorpion subs.
My dear sir
If I remember there is to be a further order and everyone was lining up in anticipatipn of that. The scorpenes are old news now. Although they are not due for delivery for another few yrs.
Araz

@araz l I'm sorry, sir im unaware of any new sub tender from IN.

If PAF wants IRIS-Ts , the time is now to enquire since IAF has refused Typhoons.

Currently PAF has short range AIM-9L/M and PL-5EII missiles as its mainstay WVRAAMs on top of BVRAAMs like AMRAAM, SD-10A etc

As our F-16 go through MLU-MIII, and more Vipers arrive from Jordan with a likelihood of similar upgrades and the JF-17 Thunder enters Block-II production, a need for HOBS capability is becoming important.

Since WVR combat remains the dominating reality of S.Asian air combat scene, PAF is aiming to equip all of its future fleet with Helmet Mounted Targeting Systems. PAF's new and MLU F-16s have JHMCS and a HMTS is planned for the JF-17 aircrafts as well.

This points to the need for a 5th generation AAM. Please discuss which missiles on the market should the PAF consider.

AIM-9X = Available for PAF but the US may not allow its integration on our 150-250 Thunders.

PL-10 = Under development, available for Thunders but the US wont allow its integration on the F-16s.

R-Darter = Under development, Unproven at this stage.

MICA = Unavailable due to Rafale deal with IAF

Python V/IX = Unavailable.

IRIS-T = Available, can be integrated on both Thunders and F-16s, is an export success, already in service with almost 10 countries.

I would personally prefer the PAF to opt for the IRIS-T. The very fact that a single missile can be deployed on both Vipers and Thunders with credible HOBS capability is a big plus and would be a cheaper solution in the long run.

Please discuss.

@Manticore @gambit @Dazzler @Oscar @500
So what best HOBS related Missile can we get easily and what major changes we would have to do in our Fighter Jets so they can carry these Missiles ? @Manticore @fatman17 @Luftwaffe

Back
Top Bottom