What's new

Discussion on HOBS capability for PAF.

I don't think AIM-9X is available to PAF, otherwise the PAF would have gotten a bunch already. The only other HOBS missile option for the F-16s would be the IRIS-T, but I wouldn't be surprised if the price were on the high side. However, given the sudden influx of used F-16s into PAF, it wouldn't surprise me if the US approves the sale of AIM-9X to PAF over the next 1-2 years.

HOBS for JF-17 is merely an eventuality, a matter of "when" and not "if." We will probably see JF-17 use several systems, e.g. PL-10, A-Darter and MAA-1B. The real question would be whether the PAF would pick up one of these systems and manufacture them locally.

Are the Israelis just smarter at tech or were they smarter at diplomacy to be in possession of some world-class hardware despite being the size of a date fruit's seed and hence being in possession of limited resources ? :unsure:

They were really smart about stealing the Technology from the US.

Most of their high Tech stuff is stolen Technology from the US and there is nothing the US can do about it because the Zionist State owns the US Congressmen and Senators, lock stock and barrel... :enjoy:

They were really smart about stealing the Technology from the US.

Most of their high Tech stuff is stolen Technology from the US and there is nothing the US can do about it because the Zionist State owns the US Congressmen and Senators, lock stock and barrel... :enjoy:

Sage Bhai aap NYC mein hoteiii hain ya phir New Jersey mein ? :unsure:

As Pakistan is viewed as a possible buyer of A-Darter, which will enter production next year, I think PAF will use the WVR missile with F-16s as well as the JF-17.

According to Jane's Missiles and Rockets,

Denel Dynamics, the missile and UAV division of South Africa's Denel, has completed the integration of the A-Darter fifth-generation air-to-air missile with the Saab JAS39 Gripen after a series of six launches.

SAAF fighter pilots involved with the project, or with insight into the development, are impressed by the A-Darter and regard it as better in some respects than the IRIS-T and the other missiles in this class. Where it was once speculated that the SAAF might use the A-Darter only on the Hawk, the intention now seems to be to also arm the Gripen with the missile, but retaining the IRIS-T in order to give a dual capability. Since the two missiles have different profiles and features, this will confuse the tactical situation as seen by an opposing pilot,

Specific aspects of the A-Darter mentioned to by SAAF pilots include the absence, under favourable atmospheric conditions, of the tell-tale (aluminium oxide particle based) smoke trail (no aluminium is used in the rocket propellant), giving opposing fighter pilots no visual warning other than a very discrete launch flash.

These features, along with a considerable range advantage over most short-range air-to-air missiles (A-Darter is considered a near-BVR missile) make A-Darter a major threat for opposing pilots.

Other aspects drawing favourable comment include, a 90-degree look angle; the availability of cocpit-selectable seeker scan patterns; quick target acquisition, which "rarely needs a second scan cycle", was told; after-launch scanning for lock-on-after-launch engagements, which is particularly valuable in "over the shoulder" engagements; and the 120-degrees per second track rate.

Last edited:
if anything the PAF will opt for the AIM-9X. the sidewinder series has a long and successful history with the PAF.

maa1b piranha is still on order. pl-10 and a darter are other options.

Depends on the fighter. AIM-9X for F-16s and something else, perhaps one of PL-10 or A-Darter, for JF-17.

you must remember that the PAF was able to integrate the earlier model Sidewinders on their F-6, A-5 and F-7s. so why not JFT?

you must remember that the PAF was able to integrate the earlier model Sidewinders on their F-6, A-5 and F-7s. so why not JFT?

Fatman, I think I disagree. J6 integration was done by Chuck Yeager's team. J7 integration was terrible simple cause you have hardly an interface wit the older AIM9's. AIM9X is a pretty complex interface. I doubt they release the info nor allow integration on non US aircraft. Tell me, how many foreign aircraft are allowed to have AIM9X? And why would we go for JF17 for an older AIM9 if we already have better Chinese versions...

Fatman, I think I disagree. J6 integration was done by Chuck Yeager's team. J7 integration was terrible simple cause you have hardly an interface wit the older AIM9's. AIM9X is a pretty complex interface. I doubt they release the info nor allow integration on non US aircraft. Tell me, how many foreign aircraft are allowed to have AIM9X? And why would we go for JF17 for an older AIM9 if we already have better Chinese versions...

Does PAF Chinse HOBS system? If so which one?

I also heard, rumor maybe, that PAF has earmarked funds for missile development with Denel which itself is working with Mectron to equip Brazilian AirForce. Maybe we can get a decent system out of this multi nation approach?

Raytheon’s has released the AIM-9X Block II. It’s the USA’s most advanced short range air-air missile. i would expect the AIM-9X Block I to be released to the PAF in the near-future. this has always been the US pattern with its arms sales. integration with the JFT, i agree may not be allowed but the AIM-9X would make the PAF Vipers more venomous.

Back
Top Bottom