What's new

Discover the cultural and culinary customs of the blessed and beautiful Hijaz

Dear @Aeronaut can you change the name of the thread to "Discover the cultural and culinary customs of the blessed and beautiful Hijaz" ? That would be wonderful.

More photos:

292lb8x.jpg

15dteno.jpg

14x2uqc.jpg

2s19lpd.jpg

jifevr.jpg

2ih2s76.jpg

1zl6pw9.jpg

Last edited:
Hijazi meze (similar to the nearby Levantine)

154alib.jpg

2ed11ye.jpg

29fzgp1.jpg

Al-hasani two questions.

1-) Is "Meze" an Arabic word ?

2-) Does it have a similar meaning with appetizer.

We Turks refer meze as light food (not the main dish) to be taken with Rakı.

@Sinan

The Arabic word is مقبلات and it correspondents to appetizer. It is basically light dishes and they are eaten before the main ones. There are different kinds depending on the Arab country and region. Alone in KSA that is the case at least and the other Arab countries whose cuisine I am familiar with.

So the exact same meaning it seems as in Turkey.

Al-hasani two questions.

1-) Is "Meze" an Arabic word ?

2-) Does it have a similar meaning with appetizer.

We Turks refer meze as light food (not the main dish) to be taken with Rakı.

You are referring to the word Mazzah (Appetizer) something like Salad, Hummus, Tabula, Falafel…etc. to eat before main dishes.

Arabic%2BMazzah.JPG

@Sinan

The Arabic word is مقبلات and it correspondents to appetizer. It is basically light dishes and they are eaten before the main ones. There are different kinds depending on the Arab country and region. Alone in KSA that is the case at least and the other Arab countries whose cuisine I am familiar with.

So the exact same meaning it seems as in Turkey.

LoL, you beat me to it.

GUys, you should also write names of the dishes with latin letters from now on.....

There are some similarities between our dishes, it made me curious if they are the same.

@Sinan

If you look a bit back in the thread I wrote the names of countless of local Hijazi dishes but they are in Arabic and I do not know how to translate them into English or their names in English.:D

I mean all of them at least.

السليق
المعصوب
العريكة
المطبق
الحنيذ
المدفون
الهريسة
الفول
الفرموزة
العيش باللحم
الكباب البلدي
شربة العدس
شربة الحب
المنتو
الفتة
اليغمش
العصيدة
المبشور
الدبيازة
الألماسية
الجبنية
اللبنية
اللدو
المعمول
لقيمات
There are countless of others but I am no expert so I have to ask family, LOL. Or look after old literature about local food.

@Sinan

If you look back I wrote the names of countless of dishes but they are in Arabic and I do not know how to translate them into English.:D

Yeah, i noticed... i'm saying don't translate, . Just write in latin letters like your speaking arabic.

Like you have done in مقبلات = meze. When Arabian Legend said "Hummus" i immediately understood which dish it is. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL.

Hijazi Kebab dishes are made in a similar fashion and this has nothing to do with Iran. Even if the photos are from Iran (which they are not according to the forum I took this from and the Arabic link that is linked to on the very same photos) it does not matter since Hijazi Kebabs are indigenous just like the local shawarma, falafel and kibbeh. Who the hell cares if some of the photos are originating in other countries if the dishes are the exact same or nearly identical? Many of the Hijazi dishes are identical to the Egyptian, Levantine and Yemeni dishes which 2 Egyptian users in this very thread already admitted. Big deal. I could have posted photos of Arab restaurants in Europe making Arab food in a thread about for instance Syrian or Yemeni cuisine. The origin of a photo matters nothing.
Besides there are dozens of photos of Hijazi kebabs, falafels and Shawarmas in this thread.

So run along stateless Kurd.

I already told you that the origins of the photos matters nothing whatsoever since many of the Hejazi dishes are identical to those found in nearby Egypt, Levant and Yemen. So posting a photo from Yemen of the same dish eaten in Hijaz is no crime.

Kebab comes from Arabic and besides kebabs we have falafels, kibbeh and shawarma with are non-existent in Iran.

What do you know about Hejazi cuisine, LOL? Nothing. We have influences from all over the Muslim world hence the diversity due to being a trading hub and due to the hajj. For instance there are Central Asian influences, South East Asian, African, South Asian, Middle Eastern etc. Many dishes have been incorporated into the local cuisine like anywhere else.

We are not Yemen. We are Iranians, with a completely different cuisine than yours. We have been pioneers vis-a-vis food in the region. Biryani, Fesenjan, Kebab. You name it.

What you have done is posting IRANIAN pictures of IRANIAN food pretending to be Hijazi dishes. Could you post real pictures of KSA containing that very same Persian-made rice with saffron, djoodje kebab and kebab koobideh?

Kebab is a Persian word, not Arabic:

kebab - Wiktionary

You thieve.

LOL. Arab cuisine is much more diverse and many more Arab dishes are famous worldwide. Are you going to claim Kebab now you stateless Kurd? That is a staple food of the Arab and Middle Eastern cuisine just like the Arab shawarma and falafel.

What don't you understand? Hejazi kebab is made in a similar fashion in fact it is very similar to the Adana Kebab. Go google that. I don't care about those two photos. I posted them because it was said that they were Hijazi Kebabs and since the difference between kebabs made in the Middle East is minimal already.

That's not what this link says:

Kebab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway who cares about 2 photos of some kebabs in a thread that has well over 100 photos of Hejazi dishes? Only idiots I guess.

Once again Hejazi kebabs are more or less identical to the Adana kebabs. I don't care about the origin of those two photos. Go google Hejazi kebabs and notice the similarity. If you can prove that those 2 photos are taken in Iran I will more than happily remove them since I don't want anything to do with that country in this thread. Now they are removed and they will be replaced by nearly identical Hejazi kebabs.

@Aeronaut

Can you deal with the trolls in this thread and delete the off-topic posts? The two photos who were supposedly of some Iranian kebabs that nobody has heard about outside of Iran are now deleted despite them being more or less identical to the Hejazi kebabs who also have great similarities to the Adana kebabs and Syrian ones.

Last edited:
Below is a typical Hijazi house with a slightly modern touch. Built by Sayyid Sami Angawi. One of the cultural Hijazi standard bearers and a prominent architect as well as a prominent Sufi.

Sami Angawi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DSCF8078+Angawi+House+Jeddah.jpg

DSCF8098+Angawi+House+Jeddah.jpg

if76ut.jpg

With former US president Jimmy Carter.

DSCF8165+Angawi+House+Jeddah.jpg

DSCF8212+Angawi+House+Jeddah.jpg

DSCF8214+Angawi+House+Jeddah.jpg

DSCF8144+Angawi+House+Jeddah.jpg

DSCF8230+Angawi+House+Jeddah.jpg

DSCF8133+Angawi+House+Jeddah.jpg

DSCF8268+Angawi+House+Jeddah.jpg

His house is built in a typical Hijazi style and resembles the old town of Jeddah (Al-Balad) which recently became a World UNESCO Heritage Site.

The embarrassing part of all this is that once not long ago every major city in Hijaz had such old city centers (often much better preserved than those found in Jeddah today) but much is sadly in a very bad condition or gone. Replaced by tasteless modern buildings.:(

If just 20% of the new houses/buildings were built in the traditional Hijazi style I would be a very happy person. Unfortunately this is just a distant dream.

Instead the world's tallest skyscraper will be built in Hijaz and the authorities can bulldoze what is left of Yanbu in the meantime! How great.

Here is a reportage;

More photos of typical Hijazi architecture can be found in those two threads below;

Saudi Arabia in Pictures | Page 78

The Arabian Peninsula and Arab world in photos | Page 35

Last edited:
@al-Hasani we also have something like شربة الحب. We call it Haleem. We also like to eat it in Ramadhan.
What is that clear yellow fluid in bowls I see in some of your dishes ?

@al-Hasani we also have something like شربة الحب. We call it Haleem. We also like to eat it in Ramadhan.
What is that clear yellow fluid in bowls I see in some of your dishes ?

Be specific here. Posted so many dishes after all and videos. Are you referring to the honey and beeswax?

Wait you are probably referring to the Asida?

Asida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@al-Hasani look at post #16 by @Arabian Legend...photos 3, 5 and 6. What is that liquid in the bowls and in the last pic in the middle of that brown paste ?

That is broth from the fish/meat I believe. Pretty sure but you will have to ask the champ ( @Arabian Legend ) since he is from beautiful Al-Baha.:coffee:

The last photo that Arabian Legend posted in that post is the Asida and the liquid in the middle is honey.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom