What's new

Diplomats saw no ISI link in Mumbai attack

Abu Zolfiqar

Rest in Peace
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
NEW DELHI: The WikiLeaks cables reveal that diplomatic missions in New Delhi believed there was no evidence to suggest an ISI link in the Mumbai attacks of Nov 26, 2008, and that a “major intelligence failure” had led to the strike.

The cables also say President Zardari told the US ambassador that Nawaz Sharif’s brother had alerted Lashkar-i-Tayyaba to a possibility of UN sanctions over the Mumbai attack, allowing it to empty bank accounts before the sanctions.

And another secret US cable dated as recently as Feb 22 this year said Pakistani authorities had told US officials that 26/11 suspect David Headley’s statements to American investigative agencies would be treated as “hearsay with little evidential” value in Pakistani courts.

In another cable, on Feb 16 this year, Tim Roemer, the US Ambassador in Delhi, told Washington: “The Indian Army’s Cold Start doctrine is a mixture of myth and reality. It’s never been and may never be put to use on a battlefield because of substantial and serious resource constraints.” It went on to call the army slow and lumbering, and unable to attack with an element of surprise.—Dawn/Times of India News Service

mumbai-attacks-AFP-543.jpg

Diplomats saw no ISI link in Mumbai attack | World | DAWN.COM

2 years and much migraines later, the truth is coming out.....:azn:

Just answer my following question please.
Kasab was nabbed on day one and his address and village was Shared via media and official channels in the very first week.
After that information was shared this is what I saw in media from Pakistan.
1) Rehman Malik said Kasab does not figures in database.
2) Mutilple people denied till close to 1 month that he is not from Pakistan.
3) Geo reported Kasab is from Pakistan and found his father.
4) Still GOP denied.
5) NSA addmitted he was from Pakistan.
6) GOP still denies and fires NSA.
7) NS says on tv that ISI has planted people in Kasab's house.

As I understand he belongs to a small village
For a person whose exact address is supplied how long does it take to verify his identity.
I guess 1 day should be more then enough to double verify.
Now that means what?
1) Pakistani government is highly incompetent and cannot find the obvious.
2) GOP was making all efforts to make sure they deny Kasab's identity.

Now you go figure.
Forget about evidence, in this case intent is so clear cut. It leaves no doubt.
I do not buy the non state actor theory.

If GOP was not involved why was it trying to hide identity of Kasab?
Even if Kasab was not on ISI's of GOP payroll, trying to hide his identity means you are guilty.

IndianRabbit,

Seriously, nobody wants to read all that, and even if we do read it, then you can't change our opinion.

Face it. 95% of the blame for Mumbai attacks should go to Indian itself.

Don't expect us to be apologetic....never ever expect us to be apologetic.

:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

Kasab was nabbed on day one and his address and village was Shared via media and official channels in the very first week.
4) Still GOP denied.

For a person whose exact address is supplied how long does it take to verify his identity.
Now that means what?

Now you go figure.

Even if Kasab was not on ISI's of GOP payroll, trying to hide his identity means you are guilty.
Your questions have been answered time and time again in the past. Pakistan's refusal to accept Kasab was based on the Indian refusal to officially cooperate with Pakistan and share any evidence until months later when the first dossier was sent by India. Until then, all Pakistan had to go by were media reports about the alleged identity of the captured gunman. Had India taken up Pakistan's offer for a joint investigation and cooperated earlier, instead of initiating a campaign of warmongering hysteria and propaganda maligning the Pakistani military and intelligence, Pakistan would have been able to confirm Kasabs identity sooner.

The NSA adviser was dismissed for not following orders, since he was not at that point authorized to divulge anything related to the investigation.

This report illustrates that Pakistanis were correct in arguing that no evidence implicating the ISI and PA in the Mumbai attacks existed, that world capitals privately, and in some cases publicly, disagreed with the Indian allegations, and some public statements made by world powers were merely to humor India in the interests of business deals and strategic relations.

Another cable in the main wikileaks cables thread talks about the FBI talking with Pakistani officials about Headley, and there is nothing there along the lines of the Masala stories published in the Indian media allegedly attributed to Headley.

Last edited:
and its coming form wikileaks..yeah right..these were general chit chat cables exchanged by diplomats expressing their POV. Not an official investigation or intelligence report.

Kasab must be a Pakistani turist!
Whether he is Pakistani or not has nothing to do with whether or not the ISI and/or PA were involved in the Mumbai attacks. While Kasabs identity has been verified by Pakistan, there is as of yet no evidence implicating the PA or ISI in the Mumbai attacks, and it appears most world powers agree with Pakistan on that count, not with India.

and its coming form wikileaks..yeah right..these were general chit chat cables exchanged by diplomats expressing their POV. Not an official investigation or intelligence report.
And is there an investigation report with credible evidence implicating the PA/ISI?

4) Still GOP denied.

Now that means what?

Now you go figure.

Indian Rabbit,

you got to understand that was a matter of international stature and the fact that Pakistan is currently being ruled by rabbits-head politicians. This matter was something which they couldn't handle the first place because of capacity and its possible consequences. So the safest side they initially found was to simply "Deny that".

Second, this matter is not as simple you might want to imagine. There is still no answer how could these people had access to one of the mose petrolled and watched seas of the world and all in a air-filled boat that cannot travel from Karachi to Mumbai in the mentioned time.

Third, No matter what is the reality, India would like to see hands of ISI, Lashkar and other militant organizations which it always targets. IF you really want to the answer to all these qustions, you would need to start inquiring from the first question that Criminal Investigations always start "WHO IS THE BENIFICERY NO-1".

I don't know where your stats would lead you to but in our books, Pakistan was in the least likely position to do such act because of understandable reasons. We are already fighting a war and engaging another war or war-like scenario was in the least interests of Pakistan.

Last edited:
Your questions have been answered time and time again in the past. Pakistan's refusal to accept Kasab was based on the Indian refusal to officially cooperate with Pakistan and share any evidence until months later when the first dossier was sent by India. Until then, all Pakistan had to go by were media reports about the alleged identity of the captured gunman. Had India taken up Pakistan's offer for a joint investigation and cooperated earlier, instead of initiating a campaign of warmongering hysteria and propaganda maligning the Pakistani military and intelligence, Pakistan would have been able to confirm Kasabs identity sooner.The NSA adviser was dismissed for not following orders, since he was not at that point authorized to divulge anything related to the investigation.

This report illustrates that Pakistanis were correct in arguing that no evidence implicating the ISI and PA in the Mumbai attacks existed, that world capitals privately, and in some cases publicly, disagreed with the Indian allegations, and some public statements made by world powers were merely to humor India in the interests of business deals and strategic relations.

Another cable in the main wikileaks cables thread talks about the FBI talking with Pakistani officials about Headley, and there is nothing there along the lines of the Masala stories published in the Indian media allegedly attributed to Headley.

Sorry you might be convinced with this answer but I am not.
If you did not received any documents or corporation from Indian side does not mean, you will start denying citizenship of a terrorist found in such a henious activities.

You could have said we are waiting for official information.

You are also ignoring that while Geo did a sting, people were openly admitting about Kasab, but on live TV there was denial. Why so?

About bold part 2, it never seemed from any media report that we were waiting for conformation. If that was the case you would have said, we are waiting for conformation or waiting for document. Outright rejection was the case, it was clearly visible that an attempt was made to hide the identity of Kasab and only when it was not possible anymore it was accepted.

Ask any neutral person on the forum.

I understand being nationalistic, but you are not been logical.

IndianRabbit,

Seriously, nobody wants to read all that, and even if we do read it, then you can't change our opinion.

Face it. 95% of the blame for Mumbai attacks should go to Indian itself.

Don't expect us to be apologetic....never ever expect us to be apologetic.

:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

I am not expecting anyone to be apologetic, but at-least hope that over the forum people will say, yes we tried to deny.

I am not saying we are clean etc, I never in any arguments said we did not supported Mukti Bahani. Arguments should be logical and just because we are from one country should not drive the argument. I want to see at least 1 person being bold.

@ graphican

Are you trying to imply that even L-e-T was not behind the Mumbai massacre?

The OP also says Nawab Sharif's brother alerted L-e-T to empty its bank accounts before before the sactions were imposed. and I believe Sharif's were in power (in Punjab albeit) at that time. What does it imply w.r.t. the intent of the politicians?

What is more pathetic is that there are few quarters in Pakistan who still denies Kasab being a Pakistani.

I agree with few Pakistani posters here though. Instead of looking at Pakistan after each attack, we should have been able to strengthen our own boundary to prevent these major attacks. Hence it's mainly a a failure on our intelligence and red-tapism. Also as agno said, we could not quickly agree on a joint investigation due to the age old lack of trust.

Indian Rabbit,

you got to understand that was a matter of international stature and the fact that Pakistan is currently being ruled by rabbits-head politicians. This matter was something which they couldn't handle the first place because of capacity and its possible consequences. So the safest side they initially found was to simply "Deny that".

Second, this matter is not as simple you might want to imagine. There is still no answer how could these people had access to one of the mose petrolled and watched seas of the world and all in a air-filled boat that cannot travel from Karachi to Mumbai in the mentioned time.

Third, No matter what is the reality, India would like to see hands of ISI, Lashkar and other militant organizations which it always targets. IF you really want to the answer to all these qustions, you would need to start inquiring from the first question that Criminal Investigations always start "WHO IS THE BENIFICERY NO-1".

I don't know where your stats would lead you to but in our books, Pakistan was in the least likely position to do such act because of understandable reasons. We are already fighting a war and engaging another war or war-like scenario was in the least interests of Pakistan.

Thanks for the reply.
It might be the case that denial was done purely to avoid bad light on Pakistani citizen, but no same person looking at that sequence of events can say they were not trying to hide identity of Kasab.

Father replaced, NS claims of ISI presence all that were pure lies.

Back
Top Bottom