What's new

Diplomat arrest: US has no plans to drop charges against Khobragade Washington

Now the gove has come to a point where it cannt return back, and also i dont think US will want to spoil a relationship for this,i thought their foreign policy makers are great,
I saw in Times Now debate Today, that One american invited for the debate was blaming all this uproar due to Bjp.The Bjp MP present in Debate asked him finally, does american want to have a good relation with india or not? or does it want to spoil and break off the relation just for this case?
So serious it is now, i dont think anyone in government backing down will be seen as a loss of face, and will be political suicide for them,If the MP is ready to sever ties for this incident then imagine how much steam has it gathered in the parliament.
I think they already weighed in the pros and cons if such a situation arise that india needs to recall its dimplomats etc.
Good that it knocked some sense into our Indian fanboys cheering for usa.
I find it pathetic, some Indians justifying American move,instead of asking how they took away the maids family without any intimation and disregard for indian law and courts.This is almost same as someone coming into your home and abducting and taking them away.

This shows that US has absolutely no respect for you guys, they won't stop humiliating you guys unless you have fully became their pawn...

After seeing many American members posts... I find one thing...double standard... The guy Raymond who killed two innocent people got full immunity... and US never let pakistan take action... But for underpay allegation they did cavity search.. How come the criminal Raymond got immunity...

You guys too have double standards...i remember during Raymond Davis episode Indians were bashing Pakistan left & right & now you guys calling RD a criminal. At least this incident will open your eyes a bit so that you guys won't troll again.

This shows that US has absolutely no respect for you guys, they won't stop humiliating you guys unless you have fully became their pawn...

This is how USA is, unfortunately this bullying will continue as long as we Asians are not united like the Americans & Europeans are.

You guys too have double standards...i remember during Raymond Davis episode Indians were bashing Pakistan left & right & now you guys calling RD a criminal. At least this incident will open your eyes a bit so that you guys won't troll again.

Agreed, but some Pakistanis are trolling on this episode, and a few Chinese also. We might have our differences with USA, but we also have differences within.

But i don't see chances getting full diplomatic immunity???

It will be arranged, it is the only face saver for both the countries, it is very difficult for India to return from this point empty handed. However, relations are damaged, that's a fact, not only pdf fanboys but Govt. is also rethinking how far to go with them, and I am happy about it.

Last edited:
UN posting gives Devyani temporary immunity, US says - The Times of India
UN posting gives Devyani temporary immunity, US says

WASHINGTON: The transfer of diplomatDevyani Khobragade to India's Permanent Mission at the United Nations would grant her full-diplomatic immunity temporarily and protect her from any arrest in the US, but the visa fraud case against her would go uninterrupted, a US official said on Friday.

"For anyone, it would apply for the length of time that they have that diplomatic status. But it doesn't retroactively wipe out past discretions," the state department spokeswoman, Jen Psakisaid.

"Receiving diplomatic immunity does not nullify any previously existing criminal charges. Those remain on the books. Nor does obtaining diplomatic immunity protect the diplomat from prosecution indefinitely. It relates to the status of a diplomat's current status for the length of the time of that status," Psaki said.

Diplomatic immunity means, among other things, that a foreign diplomat is not subject to criminal jurisdiction in the United States for the time they are a diplomat, for the time they have that immunity, she said.

She added that,"when immunity is conferred, it does not retroactively take effect at a previous point in time but relates solely to the diplomat's current status."

"So, I think some of the confusion here has been if there is a change in status, does that mean that there is a clean slate from past charges. There's not," Paski said.

After her arrest on visa fraud charges in New York last week, Khobragade was transfered this week from the Indian consulate to its Permanent Mission at the UN.

She also said that the US is yet to get an official request "through the proper channels for accreditation" and hinted the full diplomatic immunity would remain till the time she is posted at the UN.

'Need to preserve and protect partnership with India'

Psaki welcomed the statements of Salman Khurshid on the importance of India-US ties and said there is need to "preserve and protect" the partnership.

"I ... point you to the comments of external affairs minister Khurshid earlier today, where he talked about the importance of US-India relations, talked about how valuable they are. And we certainly fully agree that it's important to preserve and protect our partnership," Psaki said.

Responding to a question, she said, " it not just about diplomatic ties, we have over $90 billion in bilateral trades, we're supporting thousands of jobs in both of our countries, we share very close counterterrorism cooperation."

"We are engaged with India, of course, on a range of issues, including Afghanistan, which is often a hot topic in here," Psaki said.

The US would continue discussions with India through diplomatic channels and private conversations, she said.

US secretary of stateJohn Kerry is planning to call Khurshid soon to discuss the issue and discuss a way forward to the sudden eruption of tension between the two countries.

"We (Kerry) reached out to him (Khurshid), and I believe Parliament was in session; he wasn't available at the time, but he looks forward to speaking with him soon when we can align the two schedules up," she said adding that Kerry has actively engaged on the issue and has received several briefings on the issue.

"He remains very engaged in this as it unfolds," she said. Responding to questions, Psaki acknowledged that there are differences between India and the US law enforcement agencies on the interpretation of the law.

"I think it's accurate to say that our law enforcement authorities and the government of India have some different interpretations of the issues and allegations at play," she said.

The visa fraud complaint was filed by the diplomatic security wing of the state department, is now a legal case, and the state department doesn't have jurisdiction over that, she asserted.

"We have been clear about our standing - our position of certainly standing with our judicial colleagues. So I don't have any particular update on that, other than to say that this is a legal process that's working its way through," she said when asked if US would drop charges against Devyani Khobragade.

"Now at the same time we of course are closely engaged with the government of India, we're in close contact, and we want to move beyond this. I think we all recognise the importance of our long-term relationship," she said.
A 1999-batch IFS officer, Khobragade was arrested and then handed over to the US Marshals Service (USMS). She has since been posted to India's Permanent Mission in New York.

Khobragade was taken into custody as she was dropping her daughter to school before being released on a $250,000 bond after pleading not guilty in court.

She could face a maximum sentence of 10 years for visa fraud and five years for making a false declaration if convicted.

Look's like the issue is being cooled down for now, and also it means that that she will be sent back to India and those charges slowly dropped ,but we should not relent.

After seeing many American members posts... I find one thing...double standard... The guy Raymond who killed two innocent people got full immunity...

You have no basis for saying the "guys" killed by Raymond were "innocent". These "guys" were out to kill Raymond. Raymond's actions were self-defense.

Last edited:
Orly now, was that allowed to be proven in a court of law?

Of course not. For Raymond Davis there was no court of law available. Only the court of Pakistani xenophobia. I.e, the "court" that is well known to Indians who are not trying to score "debating" points.

Of course not. For Raymond Davis there was no court of law available. Only the court of Pakistani xenophobia. I.e, the "court" that is well known to Indians who are not trying to score "debating" points.

Supreme Court of Pakistan

Sure it was, whether you or I believe it is fair, unbiased, etc is irrelevant. I would probably agree with you. But the fact remains that the US really has no leg to stand on when it throws the book at India, when it subverts the process of justice in other nations.

Supreme Court of Pakistan

I would probably agree with you. But the fact remains that the US really has no leg to stand on when it throws the book at India, when it subverts the process of justice in other nations.

The US has every leg to stand on. The US justice system is the most transparent and fair of any in the world. Period. Not perfect because it is run by humans. But the competition for "best" is other human run systems. So the US wins, hands down.

I would agree with you except that none of those defending the law in the U.S. have anything to say about what the prosecutor in this case said about the Indian judicial system and confessed to an act subverting it. A bit rich then to argue that respect of law should be important unless the only laws you think warrants respect are your own.

The US has every leg to stand on. The US justice system is the most transparent and fair of any in the world. Period. Not perfect because it is run by humans. But the competition for "best" is other human run systems. So the US wins, hands down.

Yeeahh, I don't know if the Pakistanis felt that way.

In any case, we're not talking about the American legal system. We're talking about how the US in the case mentioned subverted the course of justice in Pakistan.

the prosecutor in this case said about the Indian judicial system and confessed to an act subverting it.

What this prosecutor said has no bearing on the merits of the case against the Indian diplomat. He did not "confess" to subverting the Indian justice system. That is merely your spin.

In any case, we're not talking about the American legal system. We're talking about how the US in the case mentioned subverted the course of justice in Pakistan.

The US negotiated with the Government of Pakistan (GoP) and gained the release of Raymond Davis. If the GoP was confident in their "justice" system, and in the guilt of Raymond Davis, they would not have released him. The fact that they released him shows that the charges were political and subject to political negotiation. As an Indian surely you understand the reality of Pakistani justice. Their system is political, not judicial in the classic sense.

Last edited:
well tell me one thing,how can you be so sure that Mr.Khobragade is a criminal because as of now she hasn't been convicted of any crime and afaik,a person can't be labelled as a convict just because someone has filed a complaint against him/her as per the U.S. Laws.plus we can't rule out the possibility that the maid is deliberately implicating Mrs.Khobragade due to some hideous reason.so according to the U.S. Law she won't be charged as a criminal unless the court find her guilty of the crime that she allegedly committed....

That is true. She is not a criminal. She is a suspect and would be treated as such.

Then open up another thread for that. This thread is about a foreign "elite" individual feel that she is above the US law and the general population of India, such as Indians in this forum, is supporting her. Maybe not the general population as any Indian that can afford to go online are in the top 10% of the population so I still don't know how general Indians feel.

What this prosecutor said has no bearing on the merits of the case against the Indian diplomat. He did not "confess" to subverting the Indian justice system. That is merely your spin.

It may or may not have any bearing on the case against the Indian diplomat, it was candid in its opinion on the Indian system & made a clear reference to moving people out who were Indian nationals and who were not on U.S. soil, to prevent them from being subject to any actions by the Indian courts. The only spin here would be anything that you might say in defence of that statement.

Back
Top Bottom