What's new

Differences between Bengali Hindu and Bengali Muslim

Our resident arch connoisseur of Bengali beauties @Bilal9 bhai knows of my admiration for the Bangladeshi actresses Porimoni and Bidya Sinha Saha :

aaQ4ZMOrK11W1JqWO71Vwt6mtXac4oMKap-HaxY9Kswy6QJ6zQeM8fb6L39zewswV7C-Rx48BdjN2hNSx9jWg7MgM91GJbZIGauieSMjZom591F1nj1H32z_xwI

Bidya-Sinha-Mim2.jpg

And I also admired Moushumi Chatterjee especially in the song 'Rim Jhim Gire Saawan'. Then there are Riya Sen, Tanushree Dutta and Ishita Dutta. Others also I am sure.

You are a funny man.

Some women will always find the way to a man's heart through their stomach! :-)

Those are the smart women. :-)

Kalma Shahadat ke baad Halal ban jayega....

Don't tell me you can resist ros molai... :-)

Ras Malai (and some types of various milk-based and yogurt-based creamy sweets) were invented in Tripura i.e. Comilla town, which was their capital, which was shifted to Agartala after 1947.

The other types of famous regional sweets in Bangladesh were 'Taler Mithai' (made with palm jaggery) from Faridpur and Shandesh (Sweet Milk Curd condiments) made by the 'Bhim-nag' family, as well as Para from North Bengal.

The actual store which invented Ras Malai in Comilla was 'Matri-Bhandar', the store still exists I think. I think a good portion (maybe half) of India's sweets were invented in Bengal, because of our Puja-Parban traditions from time immemorial. Bengali wet sweets exist in contrast to India's drier sweets made in North India, based on cashew nuts and fried sweets such as Jalebi etc. which are Mughal inventions.

Sweets are a special staple of Bengali cuisine as all of India knows (Rasagolla being the most famous, but Amriti and Kala-Jam also there).

Matri Bhandar in Comilla were 'Moira' or 'Sweet-makers' to the King of Tripura, back in the day.

The King of Tripura was the patron of fine arts and music, as well, with luminaries such as Ustad Alauddin Khan's father and the entire Barman clan (relatives to the king) as entertainers of the court with massive Jalshas during puja time. These were grand affairs.

'Ranir Dighi' area hosted these celebrations in Comilla.

Last edited:
Ras Malai (and other types of various sweets) were invented in Tripura i.e. Comilla town, which was their capital, which was shifted to Agartala after 1947.

The other types of regional sweets in Bangladesh were 'Taler Mithai' (made with palm jaggery) from Faridpur and Shandesh (Sweet Milk Curd condiments) made by the 'Bhim-nag' family.

The actual store which invented Ras Malai was 'Matri-Bhandar', the store still exists I think. I think half of India's sweets were invented in Bengal, because of our Puja-Parban traditions from time immemorial. Bengali wet sweets are in contrast to India's drier sweets made in North India, based on cashew nuts etc.

Sweets are a special staple of Bengali cuisine as all of India knows (Rasagolla being the most famous).

They were 'Moira' or 'Sweet-makers' to the King of Tripura, back in the day.

The King was the patron of arts, as well, with luminaries such as Ustad Alauddin Khan's father and the entire Barman clan as entertainers of the court with massive Jalshas during puja time. This was a grand affair.

Funny, that you mention matri vandar, as a kid I accompanied my uncle to comilla just for having their ras molai after he hyped it up.

Sondesh and jalebi are pretty good too.

Ras Malai (and some types of various milk-based and yogurt-based creamy sweets) were invented in Tripura i.e. Comilla town, which was their capital, which was shifted to Agartala after 1947.

The other types of famous regional sweets in Bangladesh were 'Taler Mithai' (made with palm jaggery) from Faridpur and Shandesh (Sweet Milk Curd condiments) made by the 'Bhim-nag' family, as well as Para from North Bengal.

The actual store which invented Ras Malai in Comilla was 'Matri-Bhandar', the store still exists I think. I think a good portion (maybe half) of India's sweets were invented in Bengal, because of our Puja-Parban traditions from time immemorial. Bengali wet sweets exist in contrast to India's drier sweets made in North India, based on cashew nuts and fried sweets such as Jalebi etc. which are Mughal inventions.

Sweets are a special staple of Bengali cuisine as all of India knows (Rasagolla being the most famous, but Amriti and Kala-Jam also there).

Matri Bhandar in Comilla were 'Moira' or 'Sweet-makers' to the King of Tripura, back in the day.

The King of Tripura was the patron of fine arts and music, as well, with luminaries such as Ustad Alauddin Khan's father and the entire Barman clan (relatives to the king) as entertainers of the court with massive Jalshas during puja time. These were grand affairs.

So was my favourite diary based sweet ,ros malai, invented in comila modern day Bangladesh or modern day India?

Is there a link or any evidence you can provide? Wikipedia, subtly says west bengal.

So was my favourite diary based sweet ,ros malai, invented in comila modern day Bangladesh or modern day India?

Is there a link or any evidence you can provide?

Modern day Bangladesh, comilla and a large chunk of the surrounding area were historically a part of Tripura state (Twipra Kingdom).

Today, Comilla falls under the Chittagong division, Comilla is a major city that falls on the way to Dhaka from Chittagong.

If ever traveling this route, I would recommend venturing into Comilla for a bit, it's not like the major cities, the vibe is decidedly calm and serene.

As for evidence, just read up about Tripura, mind you not the present day one but the ancient kingdom based in that geographic region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripura_(princely_state)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comilla_District
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twipra_Kingdom
https://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/nation/2017/11/06/comillas-genuine-rasmalai-threat/

Last edited:
Modern day Bangladesh, comilla and a large chunk of the surrounding area was part of the Tripura Princely state before '47.

Today, Comilla falls under the Chittagong division, Comilla is a major city that falls on the way to Dhaka from Chittagong.

If ever traveling this route, I would recommend venturing into Comilla for a bit, it's not like the major cities, the vibe is decidedly calm and serene.

As for evidence, just read up about Tripura, mind you not the present day one but the defunct princely state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripura_(princely_state)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comilla_District

This link completely omits Bangladesh over rosmalai. Someone as knowledgeable as yourself should correct this, I am sick Indian hypocrisy and hegemony.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ras_malai

Also in 2017 comillia applied for an international GI, geographic interest, over it's involvement of rosmolai. (Roshmalai) so what happened?

This link completely omits Bangladesh over rosmalai. Someone as knowledgeable as yourself should correct this, I am sick Indian hypocrisy and hegemony.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ras_malai

Also in 2017 comillia applied for an international GI, geographic interest, over it's involvement of rosmolai. (Roshmalai) so what happened?

The Indians can believe what they want, I invite all to come and try the original Rosh Molai from Cumilla, it will taste better than whatever is being sold in India.

About editing the Wikipedia page, no point in editing the page unless we can cite sources. Unfortunately, there isn't much in the way of hard evidence when it comes to this topic.

Besides, the wikipedia article doesn't expressly state that it originated in India, the lack of hard evidence goes both ways.

I may be mistaken, but I presume you're referring to a Geographic Indication, When you say GI.
I don't have any information on this beyond the bit you have stated, Perhaps @Bilal9 bhai knows something.

Thank you for the kind words, I'm humbled and floored.

Further reading : https://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/nation/2017/11/06/comillas-genuine-rasmalai-threat/

Last edited:
The Indians can believe what they want, I invite all to come and try the original Rosh Molai from Cumilla, it will taste better than whatever is being sold in India.

About editing the Wikipedia page, no point in editing the page unless we can cite sources. Unfortunately, there isn't much in the way of hard evidence when it comes to this topic.

Besides, the wikipedia article doesn't expressly state that it originated in India, the lack of hard evidence goes both ways.

I may be mistaken, but I presume you're referring to a Geographic Indication, When you say GI.
I don't have any information on this beyond the bit you have stated, Perhaps @Bilal9 bhai knows something.

Thank you for the kind words, I'm humbled and floored.

Further reading : https://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/nation/2017/11/06/comillas-genuine-rasmalai-threat/

You forgot Mishti Doi from Bogura, my Didima's desh.

You forgot Mishti Doi from Bogura, my Didima's desh.

Ufff now I'm craving sweets, whilst being under total lockdown in a desert country.

Not a bangali dessert but I'd really like some traditional kulfi too.:yay:

Last edited:

There is NOTHING to match Bengali sweets, and there is a reason for this, this isnot
I love mishti doi.

I'm learning to make it. Once I've nailed it, you are welcome to Hyderabad (unfortunately, there are too many distractions in Hyderabad - haleem and biryani, for instance - Hyderabadi biryani is one of the top two or three varieties in India, and is not much like Kolkata biryani).

Ufff now I'm craving sweets, whilst being under total lockdown in a desert country.

Not a bangali dessert but I'd really like some traditional kulfi too.:yay:

Dur, bod chhele!

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom