What's new

Did this female flashmob in Lahore send the wrong message about empowerment?

Do you think this viral ad was effective ?

• Yes

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 47 62.7%
  • It's confusing

Votes: 16 21.3%

• Total voters
If those thinking breaking orders of Islam is not a issue than they should not cry when people take this azadi of expression to azadi of actions I mean actions of all kinds because that would happen. When you start one crap other one follows so better Government stop this crap other wise people will start feel AZAD enough to do it on their own and that would turn things really ugly but after all it's AZADI

This Liberal Lobby is the main threat to Pakistani culture. I hate this lobby from Get go. In Pakistani culture women don"t throw their chaddar or dupatta away in-front of men. Just another evidence of who or which international organization is backing these Liberal Lobbies. The Free Masonry culture and set up is being raised in Pakistan. And its shameful government is not taking any serious action against this Liberal Lobby.

Last edited:
This Liberal Lobby is the main threat to Pakistani culture. I hate this lobby from Get go. In Pakistani culture women don"t throw their chaddar or dupatta away in-front of men. Just another evidence of who or which international organization is backing these Liberal Lobbies. The Free Masonry culture and set up is being raised in Pakistan. And its shameful government is not taking any serious action against this Liberal Lobby.

I think there is no harm in discussing what we are discussing right now......This ad started the debate which will hopefully leads to some benefits.....

Liberal lobby and mullah lobby both are extremes and hurt Pakistan. We should find a middle way instead of relying on liberals or mullahs (two extremes)

One thing I see here is the hypocrisy....This may be bold but it is not vulgar...it is just western style dancing but I would like to ask all my friends who are pretty vocal against it....Have they ever spoken against the extremely vulgar and suggestive dances in Punjabi stage dramas and in Punjabi films and item numbers in the so-called revival of the Pakistan film indusry, tv-dramas....If you are okay with them...then STFU here...

I find the movies from eastern Punjab to be much better in quality and content (not Indian movies only from the Khalistan -- east Punjab).

Last edited:
:rofl: Imagine this in Karachi or Lahore....

Funny how you think about our cities before your own cities. Pakistan obsession.

Imagine this in Delhi and Mumbai. Set an example for us to follow.

Can we see some Indian women flash their butts like this and get empowered anytime soon?

If those thinking breaking orders of Islam is not a issue than they should not cry when people take this azadi of expression to azadi of actions I mean actions of all kinds because that would happen. When you start one crap other one follows so better Government stop this crap other wise people will start feel AZAD enough to do it on their own and that would turn things really ugly but after all it's AZADI
that sounds like a threat.

They look like Hijra's then women and next time hire Bollywood choreographer their music sucks too.
how low pakistan is going to go .

The internet seems to think so. We ask the brand behind the viral video for their take on the issue.
57cfc88055ee6.jpg

Does dancing on the streets empower women? In Pakistan, some say yes, many beg to differ.

Of late, fashion brands have been trying to stand out amongst the herd by coming up with creative ideas to market their companies, and one such brand is Do Your Own Thing. For an out-of-the-box idea, DYOT hired two NCA students to choreograph a flashmob of five girls dancing to Beyoncé's Run The World (Girls) on the streets of Lahore.

The two-minute clip starts with a woman throwing her chaddar to the ground and breaking into a dance after being teased by a male passerby. Seconds later she is followed by four other girls who copy her dance routine.

Does dancing on the streets empower women? In Pakistan, some say yes, many beg to differ.

Of late, fashion brands have been trying to stand out amongst the herd by coming up with creative ideas to market their companies, and one such brand is Do Your Own Thing. For an out-of-the-box idea, DYOT hired two NCA students to choreograph a flashmob of five girls dancing to Beyoncé's Run The World (Girls) on the streets of Lahore.
The two-minute clip starts with a woman throwing her chaddar to the ground and breaking into a dance after being teased by a male passerby. Seconds later she is followed by four other girls who copy her dance routine.
Hours after being posted on Facebook, the video caught the attention of many on social media and instantly received flak for portraying #feminism and #empowerment in the wrong light.
57cfc09f7d42c.jpg

For most, the video failed to portray women's rights in a positive light.

57cfc24a03df1.jpg

Feminist collective Girls At Dhabas took issue with the video as well, but their post has since been removed from Facebook.However, one Facebook commentator highlighted that women face different struggles and should not be judged according to one scale or set of values.

57cfc529bb07b.jpg

But was the idea behind the flashmob to highlight empowerment and feminism? The co-manager of Do Your Own Thing (DYOT) steps in to explain his point of view.

"Our brand is about customization. Our customers can change our designs to suit them, which hasn't been done before in Pakistan," he tells Images.

He adds, "We are a small brand, we can't afford billboards so we wanted to make a viral video. We watched a lot of videos to get inspiration and [finally] reached out to to students from NCA, Saad and Ikram, to help us. Saad managed the choreography and Ikram was the DOP. We shot the film in Anarkali in Lahore, which is next to NCA."

Though many may associate DYOT's video with a recent campaign launched by a local clothing brand under hashtag #ReclaimPublicSpaces, the co-manager dismisses that relation entirely.

"We didn't do this to 'reclaim space,' and we don't claim to be making a stand for women's empowerment through this video. Our brand's perspective is that you should 'do your own thing,' and no one should bother anyone else for how they choose to express themselves," he says.

He admits they were anticipating a response, but not the one they received. He explains, "We expected some kind of reaction to the video, of course, but in hindsight I wish this many men hasn't seen it and commented on it. And then, very soon women started commented on it also, and many said 'this is not empowerment'."

"Well, we're not telling other girls to dance in the streets, but if these girls wanted to dance, why shouldn't we let them? After the video there has been a lot of judgment on the internet about what women 'should' and 'shouldn't' do - isn't that also negative? Why should women be told what they should and shouldn't do?" he questions.

"If I had to use a hashtag to answer to criticism to the video it would be #LetThemBe. If somebody wants to dance, let them," he says.

While it's true that the worth of the ad's final message is debatable, we wonder — does everyone criticising the ad saying that it encourages immoral behaviour or 'isn't ladylike' realise that they're applying to these women the same moral framework of 'achi larki/ buri larki' that allows patriarchal norms to flourish in Pakistan and police women's behavior?

Something to think about!

http://images.dawn.com/news/1176198

@Akheilos @Zibago @Jf Thunder @Hell hound @SMC @Zarvan @LeGenD @T-123456 @Tipu7 @hinduguy @takeiteasy @war&peace @Luffy 500 @The Sandman @Lucky Breeze @YousufSSG @RAMPAGE @Dr. Stranglove @fallstuff @Rukarl @Side-Winder @Metanoia @ranjeet

They still look better than most bollywood actresses :D

Indian women are the real deal; be it Science, Beauty Contests, Acting or as the humble home maker. Some comments on this thread are already shallow, why now should Indian women be made targets on a thread completely unrelated to what happens in Pakistan?

that sounds like a threat.
Not a threat but an obvious result which this kind of crap is going to lead to. Pakistanis are really pissed on media and these kind of things for spreading vulgarity and I can see things getting ugly really soon. Few days back a news was shared on media about a terrorist getting caught and a list of 14 celebrities recovered from him which he wanted to target. On entire social media where this news was shared not only people were happy but were suggesting few more names which in their opinion should be also killed. And these were the views of 1480 people out of 1500. I have seen even those people happy on this news in their entire lives have talked against TTP and so called religious extremists

Indian women are the real deal; be it Science, Beauty Contests, Acting or as the humble home maker. Some comments on this thread are already shallow, why now should Indian women be made targets on a thread completely unrelated to what happens in Pakistan?
Well lets agree to disagree :D

Shallow comments by folks unaware of events taking place in Pakistan and wrong priorities i ignore them this ad was stupid because of the location and the message not because they danced

That was a reply to the gentleman who posted before me

One thing I see here is the hypocrisy....This may be bold but it is not vulgar...it is just western style dancing but I would like to ask all my friends are pretty vocal against it....Have they even spoken against the extremely vulgar and suggestive dances on stage dramas and in Punjabi films and item numbers in the so-called revival of the Pakistan film indusry, tv-dramas....If you are okay with them...then STFU here...

I find the movies from eastern Punjab to be much better in quality and content (not Indian movies only from the Khalistan -- east Punjab).
totally agreed with you one thing i would like to add up "pakistan mei jo shadiyoun pr dance hota ha " kya tab wahan na mehram lrkay nhi bethe hotey ?? this is totally hypocrisy ..pta ni pakistan kab sudhrega ..there is so much radicalization ..

Not a threat but an obvious result which this kind of crap is going to lead to. Pakistanis are really pissed on media and these kind of things for spreading vulgarity and I can see things getting ugly really soon. Few days back a news was shared on media about a terrorist getting caught and a list of 14 celebrities recovered from him which he wanted to target. On entire social media where this news was shared not only people were happy but were suggesting few more names which in their opinion should be also killed. And these were the views of 1480 people out of 1500. I have seen even those people happy on this news in their entire lives have talked against TTP and so called religious extremists
Seriously so now we should be afraid o internet Mullahs :D

Buddy i am an fb certified kafir who was theatened with death threats i give zero fuks to those net jihadis :D

In Karachi Mall owners are hiring flash mobs just click on the dunya news link shared

Gahakoan ko mutawajo karney ka naya tareka hay :p:

Back
Top Bottom