What's new

Democracy is an ineffective system for Pakistan,the army has to act - Pervez Musharraf

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Speaking in reference to the recent Uri attack, Former Pakistan president, Pervez Musharraf said he would have counter-threatened India.
By: ANI | Islamabad | Published:October 4, 2016 1:54 pm
musharraf-lll.jpg
Former Pakistan president Pervez Musharraf.
Asserting that democracy is an ineffective system in his country, Former Pakistan president and military ruler General (retd.) Pervez Musharraf has said failures have to be answered through military intervention.

Speaking at an event, Musharraf said that to counter failures, the army has to take action. “Democracy is an ineffective system for Pakistan as there are no checks and balances in the system, and to counter such failures, the army has to act because people of Pakistan expected too much good from the military, ”the Express Tribune quoted Musharraf, as saying .

He was of view that the ‘inherent weakness’ of Islamabad is that democracy in the country has not been modified according to the situation.

When asked about the future of democracy in Pakistan, Musharraf said, “So, therefore, we have to maybe tailor the political structure in accordance with the dictates of Pakistan, introduce checks and balances so that misgovernance does not take place and the army does not have to come into politics.”

He said that since independence, the army has always played an important role in Pakistan. “It has played a very prominent role in the governance of Pakistan, mainly because of misgovernance by all the so-called democratically-elected governments,” he further said.

Speaking in reference to the recent Uri attack in Jammu and Kashmir, he said he would have counter-threatened India. The former president also said that the United States has used Pakistan for its own interests.

Musharraf said he was still doubtful of Al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden’s continuous presence in Abbottabad town and the episode of 2011 raid. He insisted that government and intelligence agencies were not sheltering Bin Laden at the compound.

http://indianexpress.com/article/wo...-good-from-military-pervez-musharraf-3064830/

Its OK, but I have one question. In democracy you change the leader PM/Pres by voting in/out, but how do you change the top General??:D

Or it will be like "Tu uth main Baithunga"!!:D

Its OK, but I have one question. In democracy you change the leader PM/Pres by voting in/out, but how do you change the top General??:D

Or it will be like "Tu uth main Baithunga"!!:D
For generals its slightly different, til the one is holding the office, the unlimited polishing goes unabated. As soon as he vacates it, people here start to see him as a human and thus out comes the weaknesses and critique.
https://defence.pk/threads/thank-you-general-kayani.289211/
you can see alot of chukkus thanking him who now consider him average.

army should act and put up a leader like mush or kayani or zia or yahya at the top?? army leadership has always failed the nation. i even doubt their loyalty with pakistan. raheel sharif is the only true army chief we have got in our history and he should remain chief for next term. why army created, supported ,funded MQM for decades despite its association with RAW? why army leadership supported the jihadists and fueled sectarian division during the afghan war? why army leadership bowed down like a pet dog to USA after 9/11? these are genuine questions which will never be answered in pak. majority here will dislike this post and call me names but we should not put the blame of all of our failures on civil govt. i also admit that right now raheel sharif and imran are the only hopes for pakistan and much is expected out of them.

the whole world knows how gutsy mush was the way he bowed to US power after 9/11. he even used to inform bush about the changes in the pakistani text books . the infamous poem "the leader" became the part of the pakistani text book during his rule. i still remember the way he lied to whole nation when a journalist questioned him regarding the rumors of drones being stationed on pakistani soil. he said with lot of confidence "jhoot bilkul jhoot" . next day his "jhoot" was exposed by the media by showing the satellite pix of the drones on the pakistani air bases. if we look at the achievements of musharaf they are as follows:
1. extremely well planned and successful kargil operation which liberated kashmir and sia chin.(the only person who praises the op is musarraf himself)
2. funding and supporting MQM thus giving the karachi to enemies for his own rule.
3. bugti operation fueling the separatists in baluchistan
4. U turn regarding afghanistan under US pressure.
5. spreading the kanjar khana in pakistan in the name of "enlightened moderation"
people like him and later on zardari and nawaz have played an important role in bringing the title "prostitu*e of the west " for pakistan. shiekh imran openly said so in a conference.

For generals its slightly different, til the one is holding the office, the unlimited polishing goes unabated. As soon as he vacates it, people here start to see him as a human and thus out comes the weaknesses and critique.
https://defence.pk/threads/thank-you-general-kayani.289211/
you can see alot of chukkus thanking him who now consider him average.
I can't even lol on this mate... too dark...
And its not they dont consider him average rather many despise him...
IMPO he performed his duties well...

army should act and put up a leader like mush or kayani or zia or yahya at the top?? army leadership has always failed the nation. i even doubt their loyalty with pakistan. raheel sharif is the only true army chief we have got in our history and he should remain chief for next term. why army created, supported ,funded MQM for decades despite its association with RAW? why army leadership supported the jihadists and fueled sectarian division during the afghan war? why army leadership bowed down like a pet dog to USA after 9/11? these are genuine questions which will never be answered in pak. majority here will dislike this post and call me names but we should not put the blame of all of our failures on civil govt. i also admit that right now raheel sharif and imran are the only hopes for pakistan and much is expected out of them.

the whole world knows how gutsy mush was the way he bowed to US power after 9/11. he even used to inform bush about the changes in the pakistani text books . the infamous poem "the leader" became the part of the pakistani text book during his rule. i still remember the way he lied to whole nation when a journalist questioned him regarding the rumors of drones being stationed on pakistani soil. he said with lot of confidence "jhoot bilkul jhoot" . next day his "jhoot" was exposed by the media by showing the satellite pix of the drones on the pakistani air bases. if we look at the achievements of musharaf they are as follows:
1. extremely well planned and successful kargil operation which liberated kashmir and sia chin.(the only person who praises the op is musarraf himself)
2. funding and supporting MQM thus giving the karachi to enemies for his own rule.
3. bugti operation fueling the separatists in baluchistan
4. U turn regarding afghanistan under US pressure.
5. spreading the kanjar khana in pakistan in the name of "enlightened moderation"
people like him and later on zardari and nawaz have played an important role in bringing the title "prostitu*e of the west " for pakistan. shiekh imran openly said so in a conference.

Pak army is dedicated to the nation mate... problems arise when all the power is in a single mans hand...
I believe your points are valid and debatable...

Well, Did any one notice the Irony ... The only Passage for Musharraf to Enter Politics is going to be the Civilain "Democratic" Route

I can see Musharraf doing this :

bloketree.JPG

I can't even lol on this mate... too dark...
And its not they dont consider him average rather many despise him...
IMPO he performed his duties well...

Pak army is dedicated to the nation mate... problems arise when all the power is in a single mans hand...
I believe your points are valid and debatable...
there is no doubt about the dedication and loyalty of the junior officers and men of the army but lions lead by lambs don't make a potent force. during the leadership of raheel sharif PA has eliminated TTP, BLA and MQM. it was the same army which served under kayani, musharraf , yahya. etc

If citizens were to vote for military or democratic rule. Military rule would win in a minute.

Well, Did any one notice the Irony ... The only Passage for Musharraf to Enter Politics is going to be the Civilain "Democratic" Route

I can see Musharraf doing this :

bloketree.JPG
Lets just say he is not that important... pdf maybe an exception but lets just say that...

there is no doubt about the dedication and loyalty of the junior officers and men of the army but lions lead by lambs don't make a potent force. during the leadership of raheel sharif PA has eliminated TTP, BLA and MQM. it was the same army which served under kayani, musharraf , yahya. etc
Yep huge respect for Sir Raheel Shareef...

I agree.

Unless there is at least 90% education rate in Pakistan, there should be a technocratic set-up with a stable govt. Any decent govt with less corruption will do fine.

"Democracy" only after that level of education has been achieved among masses!

I agree with Mushraff.

Pakistan needs a Army dictatorship urgently and I truly wish they would get it ASAP. Consider this a gesture of goodwill from India :enjoy:

Democracy is without doubt the best but a ‘Republic’ is not the kind of Democracy which originated in Athens around 508 BC by Cleisthenes. In that every citizen (Demos) took part hence it was “Gov’t of the people, by the people, for the people”.

What we have today is the Republic. Here you elect a Representative to vote on your behalf. Problems occur when elected representatives lose touch with the masses. This is especially true in Pakistan where people vote based on ‘Bradery’, ethnicity, religion and the personality cult and not the issues.

Additionally, parties are run on dictatorial basis and the leadership has turned hereditary. PPP, ANP, JUI etc are prime examples. In fact in Pakistan only truly Democratic Party is Jamaat Islami. Congress party in India is no different. They couldn’t find a Nehru progeny, thus they elected an Italian woman as their leader just because she was widow of Rajeev Gandhi.

Besides, the so called democratic gov’ts carry out most undemocratic acts. For example all the newly elected parties after Musharraf scrapped local Councils and did not hold local body elections until pushed to the wall by the Supreme Court. Even after that the so called champions of democracy, the PPP, have not transferred power to the Karachi Council.

I do agree that democracy in Pakistan needs to be tweaked.

On second thought, the problem lies with the people themselves. May be most of my countrymen like to be dictated and therefore they elect autocratic leaders regardless of their dishonesty and lack of integrity.

Back
Top Bottom