What's new

Delhi’s Aurangzeb Road Renamed After Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam

correct, that's what I have heard as well. There would have been court challenges as well as constant attacks about her being a Christian foreigner etc from the opposition pretty much debilitating her and the government. But kalam couldn't have stopped her if she insisted - that's why I believe an above board non-legal person to person might have been held.
But Kalam's book never speaks of any such conversation even after being specifically asked about it, so nothing of that sort ever happened even unofficially. And why Kalam Sahab would care with who becomes the PM if its within constitutional validity.

But Kalam's book never speaks of any such conversation even after being specifically asked about it, so nothing of that sort ever happened even unofficially. And why Kalam Sahab would care with who becomes the PM if its within constitutional validity.

I think what matters here is this now. Where India is standing now and how much India has acheived now.

But Kalam's book never speaks of any such conversation even after being specifically asked about it, so nothing of that sort ever happened even unofficially. And why Kalam Sahab care with who becomes the PM if its within constitutional validity.

you could be right and it could all be rumors - no way to tell. But Kalam was not at all a 'kiss and tell' kind of guy, so even if that conversation occurred, he would not reveal in a book; only a sensationalist would do that and he was not any kind of sensation seeker. BUT it is not impossible for me to believe that he would have been concerned about a 'foreigner' taking over the most powerful office in the country.

We all think the President of India is a useless figurehead position. But India has been very fortunate to somehow derive value out of that office. Any controversial move made by the President however rare will have the impact of a 8+ reichter scale eq! For example I don't know if you know about the time K.R.Narayanan returned a couple of union cabinet decisions for reconsideration...In October 1997, the Inder Kumar Gujral Government was forced to reconsider its decision to dismiss Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Kalyan Singh, and in September 1998, deferring to the President, the Vajpayee Government went back on its decision to dismiss the Rabri Devi Government in Bihar.

And K.R.N was a much lower profile persona than Kalam - so imagine if Kalam (whether before or after leaving office) said any word about Sonia Gandhi ... there would be a pretty serious oiutcry from both her supporters and detractors. Being a wise man, Kalam would have kept it to himself I think, and to only those who need to know. And he knew that Presidency must be kept above politics.

Which might also be why Sonia did not support his second term.

PS: I am also going give you all a bonus: do not think Modi is the only guy running Indian government now. Some really good people have been trying to find their correct style and bearing to the new central force (Modi) but that has now happened. The machinery is ready and primed....watch for some great things to come. And you will all be surprised when the fantastic job President Pranab Mukherjee is doing. If Mukherjee, Modi, Jaitley, Parrikar and Raghuram Rajan can truly accomplish as a team what they individually are capable of, Indian giovernment might be the most qualified and accomplished team in the world this coming year.

Last edited:
you could be right and it could all be rumors - no way to tell. But Kalam was not at all a 'kiss and tell' kind of guy, so even if that conversation occurred, he would not reveal in a book; only a sensationalist would do that and he was not any kind of sensation seeker. BUT it is not impossible for me to believe that he would have been concerned about a 'foreigner' taking over the most powerful office in the country.

We all think the President of India is a useless figurehead position. But India has been very fortunate to somehow derive value out of that office. Any controversial move made by the President however rare will have the impact of a 8+ reichter scale eq! For example I don't know if you know about the time K.R.Narayanan returned a couple of union cabinet decisions for reconsideration...In October 1997, the Inder Kumar Gujral Government was forced to reconsider its decision to dismiss Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Kalyan Singh, and in September 1998, deferring to the President, the Vajpayee Government went back on its decision to dismiss the Rabri Devi Government in Bihar.

And K.R.N was a much lower profile persona than Kalam - so imagine if Kalam (whether before or after leaving office) said any word about Sonia Gandhi ... there would be a pretty serious oiutcry from both her supporters and detractors. Being a wise man, Kalam would have kept it to himself I think, and to only those who need to know. And he knew that Presidency must be kept above politics.

Which might also be why Sonia did not support his second term.
All what you've said cannot be substantiated. And they are merely opinions, if's and but's... So we can just go by what credible sources have to say

All what you've said cannot be substantiated. And they are merely opinions, if's and but's... So we can just go by what credible sources have to say

that's why i started with "it could all be rumors". But that doesn't mean we can 'just go by what credible sources have to say' because: a) you do not know all the credible sources b) of the credible sources you do know, you do not know what all they are saying.

Anyway, have a good rest of the day. We are otherwise going to just go around in circles !

that's why i started with "it could all be rumors". But that doesn't mean we can 'just go by what credible sources have to say' because: a) you do not know all the credible sources b) of the credible sources you do know, you do not know what all they are saying.

Anyway, have a good rest of the day. We are otherwise going to just go around in circles !
Until and unless you are able to present proof of it, it will remain rumour and only credible sources can be depended upon till then. Anyways if this is what you wish then so be it

Last edited:
Until and unless you are able to present proof of it, it will remain rumour and only credible sources can be depended upon till then. Anyways if this is what you wish then so be it

looks like you and I are having 2 different conversations. 'depended upon' to what end? I don't know about you but I don't have a horse in whatever race it is that you are running. I am just telling you what I have read, know and believe.

It is clear that you have a lot of respect for Kalam, so do I. I do not have a lot of respect for Sonia Gandhi, is that the point of contention here?

The tens of thousands of roads and junctions and stadia and schools named after Congress party members, to begin with. Indira, Rajiv, Sanjay to name three.

Nice comeback :D ....... but are you comparing them to Auranzeb ? :azn:

...... not that I don't want those names to go.

Nice comeback :D ....... but are you comparing them to Auranzeb ? :azn:

...... not that I don't want those names to go.

No, I'm not comparing them to AZ.

I always have a comeback, because I do not make any statement without putting thought behind it.

No, I'm not comparing them to AZ.

I always have a comeback, because I do not make any statement without putting thought behind it.

But you ARE comparing them to Aurangzeb when you claim that the Gandhi parivar name should also be removed after we remove Aurangzeb's name.

You claim that those clamouring for removing AZ name do not clamour for removing similar names.

The tens of thousands of roads and junctions and stadia and schools named after Congress party members, to begin with. Indira, Rajiv, Sanjay to name three.

Start a petition to get the above mentioned names purged and almost all Hindu nationalists will back you on it. That will be worth millions of signatures.

99% of Indian historians are leftists so they will never allow renaming of this road on Dr Abdul kalam without there due controversies in it

99% of Indian historians are leftists so they will never allow renaming of this road on Dr Abdul kalam without there due controversies in it
I consider leftists in general to be mad but what have they got against Dr. Kalam?

Back
Top Bottom