What's new

Delhi’s Aurangzeb Road Renamed After Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam

I have a suggestion. All the 2M + toilettes that have been built should be named after babur and his dynasty of barbarians. That's one way a lot of Indians will be motivated to go use them instead of open air shrubbery!

India Government will not be involved in anything like that nor Indians will even think to name toilets.

You are assuming things here. Their are/were confirmed news reports that he never approached the Government for compensation (I'm not defending state Government here, as I want life of farmers to improve and hate to see them commiting suicide.

He was a politician who had fought elections for various parties, AAP member when he got murdered and was their for Political Gains, not to vent his outrage on plight of farmers.

Had he been some revolutionary who genuinely gave his life for cause of farmers, I would have been supporting you here, not opposing your idea.

I don't mind a road, Schools-Colleges, Sarkari Schemes named after anyone who does something for his nation irrespective of his caste, religion etc. but not in this political motivated murder and Drama.

gajendra. not being the average farmer doesn't meant that he cannot be troubled by his personal loss and the collective loss of his co-farmers, yes??

again, he and his co-farmers were denied compensation, so he found the aap rally a platform to vent his outrage.

Great name Ganesh Road or flying monkey road after Kalam

Aurengzeb was an emperor and a part of muslim history in india

If you want to make a point, you can make it without resorting to crap like you posted. What if I were to reply in kind ??? Say tell you name a road paedophile road or some such thing. Aurangzeb was without doubt an as**ole.

basant.jpg

A day after the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) accepted a proposal to rename Aurangzeb Road in Central Delhi to Dr A P J Abdul Kalam Road, those opposing the move have started an online petition.

Comparing the decision to rename the road to the 1992 demolition of Babri Masjid in Ayodhya, the petitioner, Yousuf Saeed stated, “To many of us, this renaming is symbolically as incorrect and unfortunate as the 1992 demolition of the Babri mosque in Ayodhya, since that was also done on ‘public demand’ and to ‘correct the wrongs of history’.” Saeed is an independent film-maker and researcher based in Delhi.

Addressed to the Prime Minister, the Delhi chief minister, and the NDMC chairperson, Saeed argues that decision-makers are reacting to popular demands without keeping historical facts in mind.

The petition, which garnered 250 signatures within 12 hours of being uploaded, asks whether any scholar was consulted before the road was renamed. It also asks whether any public debate took place to decide the pros and cons of the same.

East Delhi MP Maheish Girri had requested Prime Minister Narendra Modi to rename the road in memory of the late President. Girri had argued that Kalam is a “better example of love and generosity” and that the road be renamed after him, instead of immortalising Aurangzeb’s cruelty.

“Do we want our future generations to remember that the name of one ‘bad’ Muslim was replaced by a ‘good’ Muslim? Is that the kind of history we want to propagate in this country,” reads the petition, while making the appeal that a new road or institution be named after Dr Kalam and the name of Aurangzeb Road be left unchanged.

In another petition, Citizens For Democracy has also termed the renaming of the road as “totally wrong”. It stated that “the decision taken by the NDMC is totally illegal, arbitrary, malafide, unjustified and void…”

Online petitions oppose renaming of Aurangzeb Road | The Indian Express

Sorry my ancestors were independent people of photohar region of Pakistan and one of the earliest rajpout who were converted into Islam and Janjua rajpouts did embraced Islam because they were impressed with the message of Islam brought by sufi saints.
I'm sure that's true, I said in my post that many conversions were voluntary. Both hindus and muslims today refuse to accept the fact that there were forced as well as voluntary conversions.

And yes, the Sufi saints and mystics were a big factor in the voluntary conversions. Heck, today there are plenty of non-muslims (including hindus) in India who respect the Sufi teachings, and more so the poetry and music that have been inspired by Sufi traditions. (A recent example from pop culture would be the song "Khwaja mere khwaja" from the film "Jodha Akbar".)

And it is not just in India or Pakistan, Sufi traditions were the prime factor in the spread of Islam in many parts of the world, from Africa to Asia. In fact, in most of these places, the formation of a definitive Islamic identity (as opposed to being just a set of religious beliefs) happened only because of the Sufis.

I know its not easy to get back in history to find out how and when every individual was converted into Islam from his/her previous faith. My point was that you are Muslim because of your Muslim ancestors as i suppose you are Muslim because you were born in Muslim family. You should get back to native religion of your ancestors if you are convince that they were forced into Islam by invaders against their will. Then why you are following the religion of those who forced your ancestors into Islam and ghar wapisi is right scheme for such confuse Muslims in india

I said no such thing, about my ancestors. I do not have a clue how my ancestors accepted Islam - I cannot trace my family history that far back. All I know for certain is that my ancestors were muslims for at least the past 8 generations, and those 8 generations were not forcibly converted. Compounding the lack of information is the fact that my families from both parents' sides are from two very different regions of India. My paternal and maternal ancestors are from almost as distant places as it is possible to be from, in India.

The next part of your statement is illogical. Whether I should undergo a "ghar wapasi" (if, hypothetically, I am considering that) shouldn't be based on why my ancestors converted. Maybe they did so voluntarily, maybe they were forced - but how does that affect my own choice of following a religion? I would follow whatever religious beliefs I think are true, right? That's criterion for my beliefs, not whether my great-great-great....grandparents were forced to convert or did so out of their own volition.

Now you asked question that why Pakistani giving names of gauri, abdali to their nuclear weapons and answer is very simple that its because of their military power and strength and have nothing to do with their looting, plundering etc which was the culture of rulers and invaders in the past to demoralize enemy and create fear in their mind. Which Emperor never did such thing to establish their kingdom, rule or empire? Maratha did plunder neighbouring states and read what mongol did in Baghdad and what about Romans? You cannot subdue and conquer others with love and thats was the reason of all this bloodshed in past for political power. Religion is very much irrelevant .

Arey! Did I not say exactly the same thing, in my post? That it was common for all invaders to loot and plunder and destroy the victims? It is still common in some places today. Heck, even South Indian empires, generally thought of as much more benevolent than the North Indian ones, have done such atrocities in the places they conquered. (There are records in Sri Lanka, of how the Cholas ravaged their people.) Every army, be it European or Asian or African, used to do that. Even religious texts (both muslim and hindu) have advices on how to divide the spoils of war.

The only befuddling thing is why Pakistan chooses to name its missiles after the same conquerers who plundered their own ancestors. You say religion has nothing to do with it, but I cannot think of any other earthly reason. You don't see Europeans naming their stuff after Huns or Vandals, China naming its missiles after Japanese generals of WW-2, India or Pakistan naming missiles after European colonizers, Arabs naming missiles after Chengiz Khan and so on. All these people created terror in the said regions. The atrocities and terrors inflicted on China by Japan in WW2 are horrifying - does that make China name their missiles after Japanese generals?

I'm pretty sure religion is not irrelevant, as you claim - if it was, wouldn't you also be naming missiles after Ranjit Singh and other conquerors?

The problem with your Hinduvata is that they paint a ruler entirely evil or entirely good based on how they treated Hindus and how they perceived religion Hinduism or Sikhism. They like akbar who made mixture of religion and created his own version of deen e ilahe to please follower of every religion. They hate Aurangzaib because he was against polytheism . I am not defending wrong doing of any of these rulers but dont just paint them evil or good by just looking at one aspect of their life. It also matter whether you are reading history account from victim point of view or from neutral sources

First of all, it is not "my" hindutva.

Secondly, again, isn't this precisely what I said in my post? That it is not black and white? That there was no completely evil or completely good rulers or people? You seem to be throwing my own statements back at my face.

Now coming back to topic giving aurngzaib name to some road don't mean that you approve all the wrong doing of Aurangzeb so you must change it because road represent wrong deeds of a Muslim ruler in past. Why then don't apply same logic to ashok road in Delhi? There will be many Indian Muslims with name aurngazaib or say osama. Would they become evil just because of keeping this name? Name osama don't represent terrorism in itself as many good people have this name. Long story short, this all name changing thing is being done to please Hindu nationalists and to satisfy their ego otherwise its meaningless form practical point of view

Yes, I mostly agree. I don't agree with this renaming thingy, especially when it is only targeted at historic muslim figures who are loathed. If the same yardstick was applied to all roads, irrespective of the religion of whom it was named after, then they could have a justification.

Your comparison to people who may be named Aurangzeb or Osama is flawed. Of course, anybody would know that somebody who's name is 'Osama' is not by default a terrorist or AQ member. If there are people in India who's name is Osama, I'm pretty sure that their parents did not have OBL in mind when they named their son. But the names of roads in New Delhi are chosen to represent a historic figure, and the idea is that they are to be named after respected historical figures. There is a "Joseph Tito road" in New Delhi, but no "Adolf Hitler road" for that reason. So taking down Aurangzeb's name could be justified (from their POV, not mine) by saying that Aurangzeb is not a well liked person, and therefore a road in New Delhi should not be named after him.

But yes, I would like to see the same eagerness in renaming roads named after questionable figures who were not muslims.

Last edited:
basant.jpg

A day after the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) accepted a proposal to rename Aurangzeb Road in Central Delhi to Dr A P J Abdul Kalam Road, those opposing the move have started an online petition.

Comparing the decision to rename the road to the 1992 demolition of Babri Masjid in Ayodhya, the petitioner, Yousuf Saeed stated, “To many of us, this renaming is symbolically as incorrect and unfortunate as the 1992 demolition of the Babri mosque in Ayodhya, since that was also done on ‘public demand’ and to ‘correct the wrongs of history’.” Saeed is an independent film-maker and researcher based in Delhi.

Addressed to the Prime Minister, the Delhi chief minister, and the NDMC chairperson, Saeed argues that decision-makers are reacting to popular demands without keeping historical facts in mind.

The petition, which garnered 250 signatures within 12 hours of being uploaded, asks whether any scholar was consulted before the road was renamed. It also asks whether any public debate took place to decide the pros and cons of the same.

East Delhi MP Maheish Girri had requested Prime Minister Narendra Modi to rename the road in memory of the late President. Girri had argued that Kalam is a “better example of love and generosity” and that the road be renamed after him, instead of immortalising Aurangzeb’s cruelty.

“Do we want our future generations to remember that the name of one ‘bad’ Muslim was replaced by a ‘good’ Muslim? Is that the kind of history we want to propagate in this country,” reads the petition, while making the appeal that a new road or institution be named after Dr Kalam and the name of Aurangzeb Road be left unchanged.

In another petition, Citizens For Democracy has also termed the renaming of the road as “totally wrong”. It stated that “the decision taken by the NDMC is totally illegal, arbitrary, malafide, unjustified and void…”

Online petitions oppose renaming of Aurangzeb Road | The Indian Express

What scholar consultation is this idiot referring to? Most in India know Dr.Kalam and what he brought to the youth of the country and the presidency. He is said to have advised Sonia Gandhi to not try to become PM because of constitutional and legal questions that may embarrass her and the country.

It is only appropriate that in memory of the man who thus saved the honor of the country by quietly "dismissing" an embarrassing 'leader', by using his name to dismiss aurangazeb who was a fundo cretin!

The only befuddling thing is why Pakistan chooses to name its missiles after the same conquerers who plundered their own ancestors. You say religion has nothing to do with it, but I cannot think of any other earthly reason. You don't see Europeans naming their stuff after Huns or Vandals, China naming its missiles after Japanese generals of WW-2, India or Pakistan naming missiles after European colonizers, Arabs naming missiles after Chengiz Khan and so on. All these people created terror in the said regions. The atrocities and terrors inflicted on China by Japan in WW2 are horrifying - does that make China name their missiles after Japanese generals?
You seem so naive. Pakistan and India should have not fought wars and should not be enemy of each others if they had common ancestors lol Muslims of sub continent should have not demanded separate country Pakistan out of respect of having common ancestors lol

You remember how Arabs fought with their own blood relatives and tribes in wars between Islam and kufr after they embraced Islam and how their loyalty got changed because of putting belief in one God touheed. You should know that not all Pakistani have Hindu ancestors as there are pahstuns and baloch who claim different origin. Ancestors mean nothing as we all have origin in adam and eve if we talk about universal brotherhood. Plundering is just one aspect of their personality and read about them from neutral sources about many of their positive traits. It was their warrior nature, their military strength/tactician, administration/leadership abilities, wealth of their empire etc because of which we admire them
I'm pretty sure religion is not irrelevant, as you claim - if it was, wouldn't you also be naming missiles after Ranjit Singh and other conquerors?
If you keep in mind two nation theory and historical context of these two countries and their enmity /conflicts against each others since partition and then tell me what Pakistan should have named its missile in response to the names of Indian missiles e.g. Prathvi and Agni etc( who were their 12th century Hindu hero.) Pakistanis named their missile as gauri, ghaznavi and Abdali. (11th, 12th, 18th century Muslim rulers) because they defeated Hindu kings and established their ruler so in other words we wanted to prove our missile superiority over India with these names. Hindu/Sikhs would make fun of Pakistani Muslim if they keep names of their missile for India as Ranjit or ashoka missile lol you are being silly here. These hinduvata even consider you outsider because you are not follower of native Indian religion of your ancestors and running ghar wapisi scheme to bring you back in religion of your forefathers

. So taking down Aurangzeb's name could be justified (from their POV, not mine) by saying that Aurangzeb is not a well liked person, and therefore a road in New Delhi should not be named after him.

But yes, I would like to see the same eagerness in renaming roads named after questionable figures who were not muslims.
Hindu nationalists are giving importance to trivial things i.e changing Aurangabad to Sambhajinagar, Aurangzaib to Abdul Lalam Road, V.T to C.S.T, Connaught Place to Rajeev Gandhi chowk etc as if they are on mission of correcting history lol

He is said to have advised Sonia Gandhi to not try to become PM because of constitutional and legal questions that may embarrass her and the country.
I don't think that's true. This is an excerpt from news article

"Asked if he had stopped Sonia Gandhi from staking claim to the Prime Minister's post in 2004 because of her "foreign" origin, Kalam's answer was: "After the Supreme Court announced that Mrs Gandhi could become PM, how could I supersede it?"

Source: Unconventional President who learnt the art of the political

Kalam was ready to make Sonia PM: The Hindu - Mobile edition

Abdul Kalam was ready to swear Sonia Gandhi in as PM in 2004 - The Times of India

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom