What's new

Delhi’s Aurangzeb Road Renamed After Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam

looks like you and I are having 2 different conversations. 'depended upon' to what end? I don't know about you but I don't have a horse in whatever race it is that you are running. I am just telling you what I have read, know and believe.

It is clear that you have a lot of respect for Kalam, so do I. I do not have a lot of respect for Sonia Gandhi, is that the point of contention here?
I thought we ended this conversation, not sure why you came back(Is it to have the last word?). As I said when you can't prove something, you can't really say that it is/could be true. This is not about respect to Ms. Gandhi but about facts. If Mr. Kalam would have had any issues/apprehensions about Ms Gandhi becoming PM, he wouldn't have said that even in person since he was apolitical and just followed the constitution without involving his personal likings. I don't think Ms Gandhi personally disliked Kalam Sahab but the reasons were that he was not their(Congress) typical "Yes madam" kind of a man and they have experienced it good number of times. The below excerpt proves my point.

"When the the Parliament (Prevention of Disqualification) Amendment Bill was sent to Kalam after being rushed through both Houses of Parliament, the President studied it long and hard, consulting a number of jurists and constitutional experts on the implications of the Bill.

Worse occurred in Jharkhand where the governor, in order to ingratiate himself with Congress president Sonia Gandhi, thought nothing of compromising his own office and that of the President by swearing in Shibu Soren as chief minister, disregarding the National Democratic Alliance's claim that it had more MLAs. Only when the NDA petitioned Kalam, paraded its MLAs and Kalam summoned the Jharkhand governor to Delhi was the situation corrected.

So after all this, Kalam was taking no chances with the Office of Profit Bill. He has returned the Bill with what are now very public comments: if a constitutional impropriety was committed in the past, it was not right to justify it by passing a corrective retrospectively; and a law on office of profit must apply to all of India to prevent an anomalous situation from arising.
"

Source: Presidential battle

So it is but natural to sideline him or oppose him(though covertly) as he had immense respect among masses and Congress can't afford to antagonize these masses.

I thought we ended this conversation, not sure why you came back(Is it to have the last word?). As I said when you can't prove something, you can't really say that it is/could be true. This is not about respect to Ms. Gandhi but about facts. If Mr. Kalam would have had any issues/apprehensions about Ms Gandhi becoming PM, he wouldn't have said that even in person since he was apolitical and just followed the constitution without involving his personal likings. I don't think Ms Gandhi personally disliked Kalam Sahab but the reasons were that he was not their(Congress) typical "Yes madam" kind of a man and they have experienced it good number of times. The below excerpt proves my point.

"When the the Parliament (Prevention of Disqualification) Amendment Bill was sent to Kalam after being rushed through both Houses of Parliament, the President studied it long and hard, consulting a number of jurists and constitutional experts on the implications of the Bill.

Worse occurred in Jharkhand where the governor, in order to ingratiate himself with Congress president Sonia Gandhi, thought nothing of compromising his own office and that of the President by swearing in Shibu Soren as chief minister, disregarding the National Democratic Alliance's claim that it had more MLAs. Only when the NDA petitioned Kalam, paraded its MLAs and Kalam summoned the Jharkhand governor to Delhi was the situation corrected.

So after all this, Kalam was taking no chances with the Office of Profit Bill. He has returned the Bill with what are now very public comments: if a constitutional impropriety was committed in the past, it was not right to justify it by passing a corrective retrospectively; and a law on office of profit must apply to all of India to prevent an anomalous situation from arising.
"

Source: Presidential battle

So it is but natural to sideline him or oppose him(though covertly) as he had immense respect among masses and Congress can't afford to antagonize these masses.

It is perfectly fine to talk if/then/else as long as one doesn't start believing any of the scenario without proof.

Rest of it, sure no objections

'Aurangzeb Road' comes up in Delhi; SDMC terms move as illegal
New Delhi, Sep 3 2015, (PTI)
498894_thump.gif

Amid raging controversy over renaming of Aurangzeb Road in Lutyens' Zone after A P J Abdul Kalam, a street in south Delhi has been 'named' after the Mughal emperor, triggering a fresh row, even as SDMC termed it as "illegal" and said action will be taken accordingly.
The stretch of nearly 3-km from Kalindi Kunj to Jamia Nagar, locally called as 'Pushta Road', has been "named" as 'Aurangzeb Road' by former Congress Okhla MLA Asif Mohammed Khan, who says he did this in "protest against the renaming of the historic road by the NDMC."

"Home Minister Rajnath Singh had recently said in Parliament that names of historical places and buildings cannot be changed. Then, how come it was allowed to change the name of 'Aurangzeb Road'? And, therefore as a token protest, we chose to call this as 'Aurangzeb Road'," 49-year-old Khan said.

The former MLA, who has also served as a councillor from the area in the 90s, claimed, "Local residents of Okhla are with me, and we will approach the authorities concerned for its official naming."

The area falls under the Central Zone of the South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC).
The former MLA, who has put up "10 vinyl boards" at regular distance, said "permanent metallic board would be installed tomorrow".

"This 'naming' of a street is illegal and politically motivated. Any naming or renaming of roads in municipal areas has to be approved by its Naming Committee and the Standing Committee. Though the area falls under us, we are also hearing that the road probably falls under the Uttar Pradesh Flood and Irrigation Department.

"We are trying to find out, and if it turns out that the road belongs to us (SDMC), then we will take strict action and remove all boards and encroachments. We are anyway against keeping or naming a road after any brutal ruler, so we are against this move," South Delhi Mayor Subhash Arya said.

Khan, when asked, if action is initiated against him, said, "In the new boards, we have written the street name in three languages -- Hindi, Urdu and English -- and I have also put my name at the bottom. I take full responsibility. But, this is not about Aurangzeb's validity."

"It is about attempts to change history, and about Hindutava policy that we are opposing. And, if they deny us naming this road after Aurangzeb, we will not only take to streets, but also start a movement to name two streets after the Mughal ruler in other cities also," he told PTI.

"We respect Kalam sahab and real tribute could have been a new university named after him. Why was name of a man like him dragged into controversy after his death? It is all politics, so we named in protest against this," he said.

But you ARE comparing them to Aurangzeb when you claim that the Gandhi parivar name should also be removed after we remove Aurangzeb's name.

You claim that those clamouring for removing AZ name do not clamour for removing similar names.

Start a petition to get the above mentioned names purged and almost all Hindu nationalists will back you on it. That will be worth millions of signatures.

I'm pretty sure you consider yourself a "hindu nationalist", while I don't. So take your own advice and start the "petition" yourself.

BTW, petition on what forum? You think the Government of India listens to petition.org? Anyway I don't want to discourage you, so do go ahead and file the petition wherever you like.

(I'm replying to "both of you" because I'm pretty sure you are the same person. Or at the very least, "both of you" have several IDs here.)

I'm pretty sure you consider yourself a "hindu nationalist", while I don't. So take your own advice and start the "petition" yourself.

I did not say you are one and your not being one does not bother me a bit. I just stated that you will find help from unexpected quarter in your quest of purging those particular Hindu names from our public places, since those are the only ones you took so far.

BTW, petition on what forum? You think the Government of India listens to petition.org? Anyway I don't want to discourage you, so do go ahead and file the petition wherever you like.

I did not say that I am going to petition the govt myself. I did not do so for removing Aurangzeb's name either, though I approve of doing so.

I do not know whether GOI listens to petition.org or that any such org exists. I just gave a suggestion in case you were interested in pursuing the course.

(I'm replying to "both of you" because I'm pretty sure you are the same person. Or at the very least, "both of you" have several IDs here.)

LOL..... typical "secular" response.

You have no moral or ethical right to guess my intentions or affiliations as a ""Hindu Nationalist" or not. Do you claim to read my Mind ? This level of intellectual dishonesty and diversion tactics is what defines you.

Inability to provide a rational response forces you to use slander as a feeble defence. Pathetic. :tdown:

Last edited:
Actually Akbar, Shahjahan and Razia Sultan are part of Indian histroy in a positive way...Aurangzeb.....Huhhh....He is a black spot..among the Mogul kings who ruled India..

But he is ideal of fanatic Mullahs. that is why they are opposing.

If you keep in mind two nation theory and historical context of these two countries and their enmity /conflicts against each others since partition and then tell me what Pakistan should have named its missile in response to the names of Indian missiles e.g. Prathvi and Agni etc( who were their 12th century Hindu hero.) Pakistanis named their missile as gauri, ghaznavi and Abdali. (11th, 12th, 18th century Muslim rulers) because they defeated Hindu kings and established their ruler so in other words we wanted to prove our missile superiority over India with these names

You seem to have fallen prey to that long standing but completely baseless belief that Prithvi missile was named after Prithviraj Chauhan. It isn't. Early Indian missiles were named after basic elements, not on personalities (won't blame you, seems like Pakistani experts believed that too)

Prithvi - Earth

Agni - Fire

Akash - Sky

Just today, the famous Aurangzeb Road in the heart of the national capital was renamed as APJ Abdul Kalam Road.

Aurangzeb Road renaming will open a can of worms, say scholars
New Delhi, Sep 6, 2015, PTI:
499437_thump.gif

A section of historians and scholars have criticised the rechristening of Aurangzeb Road in Lutyens' Delhi, saying it is a result of a "slanted view" of history and cautioned that such renaming exercises will "open a can of worms".

On August 28, New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) gave its nod to a proposal to rename the historic stretch in the heart of the national capital after former President A P J Abdul Kalam, a move that many even felt "belittles the stature" of the celebrated scientist.

Noted historian Narayani Gupta says issues like these arise because people don't have a sense of history.

"Aurangzeb Road, alongside a cluster of others named after Mughal rulers like Akbar and Shahjehan, were given by the British when they designed the new imperial capital of New Delhi.

"This and Ashoka Road and Firozshah Road, besides King George V and Queen Mary and Hardinge and Wellesley were suggested by noted historian Percival Spear, who was teaching history at St Stephen’s College then.

"So, just removing a historic name doesn't augur well. Moreso, when it has history behind the naming. And, a true tribute to Kalam would have been a science museum for children, and not some renamed signpost," Gupta said.

New Delhi was designed by British architect Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens along with Sir Herbert Baker from 1911-1931.

Post-independence, after Mahatma Gandhi's assassination and later after Jawaharlal Nehru's death, a series of renaming exercises began across the country, including in the national capital, where British names were rechristened after Indian leaders.

Delhi's famed chronicler and author R V Smith, who grew up in Agra, says, "One Drummond Road, a long stretch in Agra, named after its district magistrate was renamed as Mahatma Gandhi Road soon after independence."

In Delhi also, the historic names were changed like Kingsway (Rajpath) and Queensway (Janpath) and Hardinge Avenue (Tilak Marg), but history is not something to be corrected.

"We must learn to respect the history and with this Aurangzeb Road renaming, we are allowing a dangerous trend to be started. People who want his name removed have either no understanding or skewed view of history.

"He ruled for nearly 50 years from Central Asia to Rangoon, and every emperor has had good or bad qualities. But, it is wrong to judge him from a contemporary prism," Smith said.

Smith, author of ‘Delhi That No one Knows’ and ‘Capital Vignettes’ says, by renaming the British-era places and landmarks in Delhi, history has been "destroyed", and future generations would grow up with a "slanted view of history".

"They renamed the historic Willingdon Crescent, Willingdon Hospital, and, then there was the Victoria Memorial Zenana Hospital in Old Delhi, which was rechristened as ‘Kasturba Gandhi Hospital’ by the municipal corporation.

"Why can't we make new roads and new institutions and give them the names of our leaders and heroes and people whom we love. Renaming old places is not just an insult to history, but also to the people they are being renamed after," he said.

Conservation architect A G K Menon, also convener of INTACH's Delhi Chapter, terms the renaming of Aurangzeb Road as "unfortunate" and said it will start a trend that the country would find hard to contain.
"First we purged our cities of British rulers names and now the Moghuls. I mean how far back do we go then? And, was this renaming needed at all? Now Wheelers Island has been renamed, and voices are being raised in Maharashtra to rename the entire city of Aurangabad.... This is a bad trend, and it will open a whole can of worms," Menon said.
UK-based scholar Saleem Khan, who did his MA thesis on ‘Portrayal of Aurangzeb in Modern history Writing’ at the University of London, says, Aurangzeb has been "much-maligned" over time without an impartial understanding of his life and times.

"He was a great Mughal emperor, which cannot be ruled out, and even though the British fought him, they chose to name a street after him.

"As per notions surrounding him that he was cruel and anti-Hindu, well Aurangzeb employed more Hindus in absolute and percentage terms than any other emperor.

"We can have an informed debate over his character but erasing him out like this is unfair," Khan said.
Historian Gupta says, after the renaming spree in 60s and 70s, "There was a committee in the late 1970s under the Delhi Archives, of which I was a member, which passed a resolution that roads should not be renamed. But we have no sense of the history of policy on road names".

No More Road Rage -The New Indian Express

History is a never-ending blockbuster, bristling with action, murder and assassinations, pogroms, romance, despotism and power. It also constantly reinvents itself. It would take the archaeology of imagination to reconstruct the past, as it had happened before. Or ones which have been erased or destroyed forever. History is also a narrative that can be changed. Stalin knew it. So did Mao Zedong and the Nazis. Also Aurangzeb.

Ravi%20Shankar1.png

Aurangzeb
Renaming Aurangzeb Road is the best thing that has happened to Indian history in a long time. India, in its newborn flush in 1947, decided to abandon morality and score moral upmanship over Pakistan, since there is no Jawaharlal Nehru Road or Mahatma Gandhi Marg in that blighted country. So, what the hell, let the Congress show that a majority Hindu nation can set aside its differences with history and celebrate the memory of tyrants and rapists. Hence roads were named after despoilers, mass murderers and violators of India—Aurangzeb, Shah Jehan, Akbar, Babur and others. The Leftist secular conspiracy to sterilise Indian education and portray India’s Muslim conquerors as either benign secularists like Akbar, or aesthetes like Shah Jehan, and Aurangzeb as just a regular guy who imposed a religious tax were fed to generations of students. In textbooks, they shared the pantheon with Rana Pratap Singh, Rana Sanga, Guru Tegh Bahadur, Chhatrapati Shivaji, Pazhassi Raja and Veerapandiya Kattabomman as equals. Babur sacked the Somnath Temple, and destroyed the Ram Temple to build a mosque. Akbar subdued Rajputs mercilessly and created comprador alliances. Shah Jehan destroyed hundreds of temples in Benaras. Aurangzeb was a fratricide who demolished the Kashi Vishwanath Temple, and temples in Khandela, Udaipur, Chittoor, Jodhpur and the reconstructed Somnath Temple, and built large mosques in their place. He destroyed schools run by Hindus. It is doubtful whether any Indian Muslim would like to be associated with this fanatic serial killer in spite of objections from the All India Muslim Personal Law Board members, the pan-Islamic All India Muslim Majlis-e-Mushawarat, the Shah Waliullah Institute, and others. The secular argument that Aurangzeb is part of Indian history and cannot be demeaned by knocking his name off a road sign is sheer bilge. Even in a country full of Neo Nazis, Germany has no Adolf Hitler Strasse. America has no road named after the Ku Klux Klan. No European city has been honoured with Attila’s moniker. No street in Italy bears Mussolini’s name. Not even a Sonia Gandhi Marg. No London square is named after Enoch Powell. But when the Congress government fiddled with history by renaming Delhi’s Curzon Road as Kasturba Gandhi Marg, Queensway as Janpath, York Road as Motilal Nehru Marg, and Connaught Place as Rajiv Chowk, secularists applauded—out with British imperialism. Let’s just stick to Aurangzeb.

India is a predominantly Hindu nation, as the census says. We have spent decades in self-denial. Conquerors like Aurangzeb are the bottom feeders of Indian history. Let the textbooks show him and his ilk as they really were—psychopaths, bigots and mass killers. India is on the road to revival. The names of tyrants have no place on the highways of modernity.

milllions homeles,jobless,clothless,foodles yet sanghis busy renaming roads

What does all this have to do with renaming a road ?

Pakistan should have named its missile in response to the names of Indian missiles e.g. Prathvi and Agni etc( who were their 12th century Hindu hero.) Pakistanis named their missile as gauri, ghaznavi and Abdali. (11th, 12th, 18th century Muslim rulers) because they defeated Hindu kings and established their ruler so in other words we wanted to prove our missile superiority over India with these names.

If naming your missiles after muslim invaders makes them look better,so be it !! :omghaha: :omghaha:

If naming your missiles after muslim invaders makes them look better,so be it !! :omghaha: :omghaha:
as if naming your roads after some confuse secularist Muslims would improve the condition of roads/cities and will make them look better :D well its just symbolic..NO? Actual code names of these missiles are hatf 5 and hatf 7 and hatf here referred to sword of Prophet Muhammad(PBUH)

You Indians also need to differentiate between invaders and rulers after leaving your bias aside. Some might be invaders who just came in this region for looting purpose and went back after completing their mission while others were born, raised and died in here. I dont actually know who gave these names to our missiles and it might be decision of few individuals but it make sense if you look at context of partition and Indo-Pak relationship after partition and we all know these missiles were specific for India ;) Irony is India has better relationship with Afghanistan and Persia(Iran) than us so you should not mind these names as Afghan are your brothers with common enemy Pakistan lol

Back
Top Bottom