What's new

Delhi’s Aurangzeb Road Renamed After Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam

I don't think that's true. This is an excerpt from news article

"Asked if he had stopped Sonia Gandhi from staking claim to the Prime Minister's post in 2004 because of her "foreign" origin, Kalam's answer was: "After the Supreme Court announced that Mrs Gandhi could become PM, how could I supersede it?"

Source: Unconventional President who learnt the art of the political

Kalam was ready to make Sonia PM: The Hindu - Mobile edition

Abdul Kalam was ready to swear Sonia Gandhi in as PM in 2004 - The Times of India

One doesn't vitiate the other. Kalam or any president of India will never make the controversial move of openly denying a parliamentary motion. What I've read is that Kalam had a private interaction and educated her on what can go wrong. Sonia to her credit, understood

396410-aurangzeb-new.jpg

Muslim outfits oppose renaming Aurangzeb Road, say he was not 'anti-Hindu' | Zee News

New Delhi: Muslim outfits today objected New Delhi Municipal Council's (NDMC) decision to rename Aurangzeb Road after late President A P J Abdul Kalam, terming it as a "deliberate" move that is "likely to set the trend of rechristening other cities/streets distorting history".

"It is a deliberate effort, it will not halt here. This is because soon after the road was named after Abdul Kalamji, Shiv Sena said it will change the name of Maharashtra's Aurangabad district where the Mughal Emperor's graveyard is located.

"They have a long list of cities/roads named after some historical figures or Muslim Emperors, which they want to change," Dr S Q R Ilyas, President of Welfare Party of India and All India Muslim Personal Law Board member, told PTI.

Also Read: Aurangzeb Road to be renamed as APJ Abdul Kalam Road: Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal

Ilyas, also general secretary of All India Muslim Majlis-e-Mushawarat (AIMMM) - an apex body of various organisations of the community, said the Emperor was not "anti-Hindu" as is perceived but "a secular" personality.

Referring to former Orissa Governor Bishambhar Nath Pande's collection of Aurangzeb's farman (orders), Ilyas said the documents - in Persian - show the Emperor had donated lands for building temples.

"Roads were named out of respect for history. It is unfortunate we are trying to distort it now. The road renaming proposal was given by Delhi MP Maheish Girri. He said they (BJP) want to rewrite history to undo ills of it. This shows their mindset and that they won't stop here only," he said.

Ilyas insisted the issue should be looked at from secular point of view, keeping in mind that India is a country of people who believe in different faiths.

Ataur Rahaman Qasmi, chairman of Delhi-based Shah Waliullah Institute, said Kalam himself would not have liked any such act had he been alive.
He maintained the decision doesn't show any affection towards the ex-President.

NDMC took the decision to rename the road in Lutyen's Delhi August 28.

The decision was taken reportedly in the wake of a proposal by Girri who had also written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi to consider renaming the road to correct "wrongs" of history and had said it will be a fitting tribute to the memory of Kalam widely regarded as 'People's President'.

Welcoming NDMC's decision, Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray had on August 29 said the Aurangabad city in central Maharashtra too would be renamed as 'Sambhaji Nagar'.

PTI

Ilyas, also general secretary of All India Muslim Majlis-e-Mushawarat (AIMMM) - an apex body of various organisations of the community, said the Emperor was not "anti-Hindu" as is perceived but "a secular" personality.
I doubt any of his modern day admirers would even think about calling him secular.

Road_2530958f.jpg

RSS to push for renaming roads named after Mughals - The Hindu

Efforts are afoot from within the Sangh Parivar to push for amending the 1975-vintage guideline barring such rechristening.
Now that the decision to rename the Capital’s Aurangzeb Road after the former President, A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, has been red-flagged for violating a central law, efforts are afoot from within the Sangh Parivar to push for amending the 1975-vintage guideline barring such rechristening.

To counter the Citizens for Democracy — which on Saturday reminded the government of its own statement in Parliament as recently as April 21, 2015, about the decision not to change names of existing roads in the Capital because of the logistics involved — RSS activist Rajeev Gupta, who is associated with the Shiksha Bachao Andolan Samiti (SBAS), met Union Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju on Monday to press for changing the guidelines to rename all roads in the city that bear names of Mughal rulers.

Since online petitions are circulating against the renaming of Aurangzeb Road, he has also started one of his own calling for rechristening other roads named after not just Mughal rulers, including Akbar Road, but also those belonging to the Delhi Sultanate — Lodhi Road and Tughlaq Road.

In a related statement, the Muslim Rashtriya Manch, another Sangh organisation, said all nationalist citizens should welcome the renaming of the Aurangzeb Road as the former President’s contributions were far greater than the Mughal ruler’s.

Though the RSS-backed SBAS is keeping a low profile on this front, its founder Dinanath Batra told The Hindu that “this has been our thinking all along.”

badshah ki halat kuty jesi ho gai hai ajkal :lol:

True secularism is rising in India, We can not name any of our road on the name of a religious bigot, Mass murderer, The murderer of his father, brother, wife and many other relative.

One doesn't vitiate the other. Kalam or any president of India will never make the controversial move of openly denying a parliamentary motion. What I've read is that Kalam had a private interaction and educated her on what can go wrong. Sonia to her credit, understood
Any sources?

Any sources?

don't remember where I read it, it's been a long time. I just googled and couldn't find anything directly. I did find this quote from Kalam's book which frankly adds to my belief in the matter.

“If she had made any claim for herself I would have had no option but to appoint her.”

Many interpreted this as Kalam saying he had no reservations - I read it as 'I couldn't have stopped her, if she pressed on it"

Do not worry that is the typical hindu version of history and is about as true as vedic sciences and elephant head transplants.
Don't make the mistake of taking Dharmic practices literally. If we say Buddhang Sharanam Gacchami, I don't mean that you find Buddha personally and fall at his (now non existent) feet.

don't remember where I read it, it's been a long time. I just googled and couldn't find anything directly. I did find this quote from Kalam's book which frankly adds to my belief in the matter.

“If she had made any claim for herself I would have had no option but to appoint her.”

Many interpreted this as Kalam saying he had no reservations - I read it as 'I couldn't have stopped her, if she pressed on it"
So that implies that as per constitution he couldn't have stopped her...

As much as I am for this (or renaming it to "Hind di Chadar"), I think Dr Kalam would much rather have his name attached to a brand new impressive 6 lane expressway anywhere in India. The late genius was all about developing India and looking to the future, not looking backwards and indulging in such pettiness.

So that also implies that as per constitution he couldn't have stopped her...
Of course, he could not have stopped her. Post - The President has almost no powers. He would have had to accept her as PM if she wanted to.

As much as I am for this (or renaming it to "Hind di Chadar"), I think Dr Kalam would much rather have his name attached to a brand new impressive 6 lane expressway anywhere in India. The late genius was all about developing India and looking to the future, not looking backwards and indulging in such pettiness.
The only thing petty here is OBJECTING to Dr. Kalam's name. :)

So that implies that as per constitution he couldn't have stopped her...

correct, that's what I have heard as well. There would have been court challenges as well as constant attacks about her being a Christian foreigner etc from the opposition pretty much debilitating her and the government. But kalam couldn't have stopped her if she insisted - that's why I believe an above board non-legal person to person might have been held.

correct, that's what I have heard as well. There would have been court challenges as well as constant attacks about her being a Christian foreigner etc from the opposition pretty much debilitating her and the government. But kalam couldn't have stopped her if she insisted - that's why I believe an above board non-legal person to person might have been held.

Ex PM Manmohan Singh was even a good PM of India and have served the nation.

Of course, he could not have stopped her. Post - The President has almost no powers. He would have had to accept her as PM if she wanted to.
We are speaking of legality. As per constitution, she was eligible to become PM. Had it been illegal Kalam would have stopped it.

Ex PM Manmohan Singh was even a good PM of India and have served the nation.

I have heard both good and bad, so cannot decide for sure. On the plus side of Manmohan Singh:
1) He seemed to be a calming influence that didn't rile up emotions and passions (which is a good thing in India!)
2) He seemed less like a snake oil salesman than the usual politician
3) He provided stability by bringing along the coalition partners thought at great personal loss of face

The -ve side unfortunately does outweigh:
3) He was unable to control the massive corruption even by his own close cabinet colleagues
4) He was a silent slave of Sonia Gandhi & bore even open insults by Rajiv Gandhi, thus bringing shame to the office of PM

Put it this way. Manmohan Singh is one of those guys you really want to like; I really want to like him but cannot understand why he kept silent through the atrocious scams and insults during the last 4 or 5 years

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom