What's new

Delhi Court to JNU: No Beef or Pork festivals

Is there a religious police in India checking each and everybody's kitchen to find out what they eat..I don't think so. The objection is against the open display that hurts religious as well as cultural sensibilities.

You have taken my argument, LITERALLY. So to answer your question - NO, i don't think CCTV cameras are installed in kitchens to monitor what we eat.

The message that i was actually trying to convey was that - to uphold the religious beliefs of one community as the benchmark to which all other communities have to adhere, by forgoing their fundamental rights - is a classical case of majoritarianism. A most ugly phenomenon, which if allowed, will have grave consequences.

Now, to apply the same logic in reverse. Muslims and Christians abhor idol worship. To uphold the religious sensitivities of these two communities, would it be appropriate for the state to bar hindu worshipers from attending temples and religious sites like vaishnodevi and tirupati?!

A clear line needs to be drawn between a citizen's religious rights and obligations and fundamental rights of his/her neighbor.

This is most tragic.

Pregnant Cows are banned from slaughtering in Kerala also.

Beef & Pork for obvious reasons.

Anyways its ironical that all this nonsense happens in Govt run colleges. There are hundreds of educational institutions in India run by religious organizations and trusts. I am yet to hear a Pork festival organized in a Christian College or a beef festival in a Muslim college.

Ok that means people have many alternatives,such as Mutton,chicken,Fish..then why insist on beef?
Is Buffalo meet allowed or that too is against people's religious beliefs?

stupidity.

Why to stop pork and beef festival. Let these take place whoever wants to eat pork will go for it and who ever wants to eat beef will go for it those who dont want to will move on.

Coming from a person whose nation has such draconian Blashampy laws that being anhything other than a devout and practising Muslims is a licence for a lifetime of suffering.

@topic this a line all free and secular socities have to tread, balancing the right to offend and the right to be offended it is an incredibly hard cesion for anyone to make so we should just respect this descion regardless of our own persoanl views-if the descion had gone the other way no doubt we'd have seen more outcry saying "look at this heartless and sick governemnt insulting religious senitments "etc.

As the population of India gets more educated and libarliesed the situation will change and restrictions will be eased but right now with the level of ignorance of so many such festivals are recipeis for disater.

Only cow's beef is not allowed.

stupidity.

Why to stop pork and beef festival. Let these take place whoever wants to eat pork will go for it and who ever wants to eat beef will go for it those who dont want to will move on.

Because such festivals spark tensions. Do you remember what sparked 1857 revolution.

You have taken my argument, LITERALLY. So to answer your question - NO, i don't think CCTV cameras are installed in kitchens to monitor what we eat.

The message that i was actually trying to convey was that - to uphold the religious beliefs of one community as the benchmark to which all other communities have to adhere, by forgoing their fundamental rights - is a classical case of majoritarianism. A most ugly phenomenon, which if allowed, will have grave consequences.

Now, to apply the same logic in reverse. Muslims and Christians abhor idol worship. To uphold the religious sensitivities of these two communities, would it be appropriate for the state to bar hindu worshipers from attending temples and religious sites like vaishnodevi and tirupati?!

A clear line needs to be drawn between a citizen's religious rights and obligations and fundamental rights of his/her neighbor.

This is most tragic.

Your statement will make sense in a French Style secularist country. We are also a country that bans Da Vici Code, Satanic Verses and most recently The Innocence of Muslims so as to keep our minority community who have a very short fuse when it comes to their prophets happy. So our model of secularism is different from others .In a culturally and religious diverse country as us, only thing that helps to glue us together is the equal concern for all religions. Also why you are targeting Hindus..It was a Beef & Pork festival. Are you sure that certain quarters of the Muslim society will not be offended by this festival. In short AFAIK, both beef and pork is available in all states and those who wants to consume it does so but why make a public display of it with an intention to cause law and order problems.

Anyways I am ready for French Style Secularism any day .

Ok that means people have many alternatives,such as Mutton,chicken,Fish..then why insist on beef?

Hindus are only jumpy when it comes to cow meat.

nihari is made in buffalo's meat........

Why is the quality of meat dishes so mch better during Ramadan time than rest of the year?

Recession?

I have been majorly put off by Radio Hotel after eating this year's Ramadan food. Finger licking gurda kaleji, bheja masala, nihari, tawa gosht, kaadhi gosht, beef kurma, ****** gosht, and a new dish I have forgotten the name of.

Man why is b-h-i-n-d-i starred out man? Yeh kya naya masla hai?

This is most tragic.

Your analogy is flawed.
Are you saying that by doing idol worship we hurt sentiments of Muslims and Christians? India is only country where minorities can question sentiments of majority even if they do not have any big negative impact on you. And yes majority matters, tell me your religion and then I will ask you if you could implement yourself what you are asking us to do.

Your statement will make sense in a French Style secularist country. We are also a country that bans Da Vici Code, Satanic Verses and most recently The Innocence of Muslims so as to keep our minority community who have a very short fuse when it comes to their prophets happy. So our model of secularism is different from others .In a culturally and religious diverse country as us, only thing that helps to glue us together is the equal concern for all religions. Also why you are targeting Hindus..It was a Beef & Pork festival. Are you sure that certain quarters of the Muslim society will not be offended by this festival. In short AFAIK, both beef and pork is available in all states and those who wants to consume it does so but why make a public display of it with an intention to cause law and order problems.

Anyways I am ready for French Style Secularism any day .

Hindus are only jumpy when it comes to cow meat.

French, or NOT - I agree that we are diverse society, but is it something new? India, for thousands of years, has been melting pot of different cultures and religions - it's about time that we grow up. Such childish intolerance is most futile and dangerous.

I gotta say. I am supremely disappointed in some of these indian institutions. I'm allowed to drink, have sex, vote, smoke, etc...but there are restrictions on what I am allowed to eat?! Using the "cultural sensibilities" argument to defend this ruling is plain stupid. In a mature society, the contents of my neighbors kitchen can't be and should not be a matter of discussion and debate in my drawing room.

are you allowed to have sex with your neighbor's wife? i guess not so even in your sex life there are some restrictions
are you allowed to drink while at work, oh no, there is another restriction.

just out of curiosity, eating beef hurt hindu sentiments, but who are you hurting by eating pork I am sure its not muslims, we dont eat pork but we dont stop others from eating it

are you allowed to have sex with your neighbor's wife? i guess not so even in your sex life there are some restrictions
are you allowed to drink while at work, oh no, there is another restriction.

Gotta say...nice comeback!!

BUT, behavioral checks and balances that are enforced by norms of social conduct, have little to do with invalidating of deeply personal lifestyle choices, because it is mis-construed as an interference in religious beliefs of my fellow countrymen.

Your analogy is flawed.
Are you saying that by doing idol worship we hurt sentiments of Muslims and Christians? India is only country where minorities can question sentiments of majority even if they do not have any big negative impact on you. And yes majority matters, tell me your religion and then I will ask you if you could implement yourself what you are asking us to do.

Firstly, I am a roman catholic. BUT, before you begin to judge my "inability to comprehend" religious concerns of Hindus, you should know that I was born to a Hindu father.

Secondly, before you begin to preach to me about Christianity, do spare a couple of minutes in reading up what the "Tu Quoque" fallacy is. Here's a link - Tu quoque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

French, or NOT - I agree that we are diverse society, but is it something new? India, for thousands of years, has been melting pot of different cultures and religions - it's about time that we grow up. Such childish intolerance is most futile and dangerous.

Yes Sir...I think Innocence of Muslims should be shown on prime time television.

Back
Top Bottom