What's new

Delhi Court to JNU: No Beef or Pork festivals

So now you are qualifying your earlier grandstanding statements of tolerance and freedom with exceptions towards your own religious sentiments. Well done. We have a word for that - HYPOCRISY. And yeah, many Indians hold a very deep feeling/reverence towards the cow and killing it and making it a public spectacle is akin to the "striking at the heart".

You dont decide what strikes at the heart of our belief. We decide that. For example, according to me Satanic Verses is a literary masterpiece and is well accepted by non-Muslims. So does it make that acceptable to Muslims ? No. Similarly you dont tell us what we should consider sacred or not. We decide that - in accordance with our belief system.

As I have argued before - something that is sacrilegious in public cannot turn pure and acceptable when done in private (again, no comparisons with sex) - so why not bar the consumption of beef / pork altogether?

If private consumption of beef is allowed, it necessarily entails killing the cow - a revered creature. What is the obsession with allowing the massacring of cows in private? Why not stop all of it?

I don't get it. Why this aggressive and xenophobic attitude?!

I'm being perfectly reasonable. Just because I dont have that fake plastic smile and that godawful political correctness doesn;t mean I'm being aggressive.

As for telling muslims and christians to buzz off - all these minority groups, including me, are as much a part of this country as any other Hindu. Self appointed heirs to India's "hindu" legacy have no business advising me on where I should be living. And no one is doing anybody else a charity by "letting us live here". We all have a social contract with the government, which is legal, binding and enforceable.

Needless chest thumping. Well, werent you the one who said Muslims and xtians have a problem with idolatary ? And since we are not going to change our praying habits to suit you, I just proposed a solution for that. If you are comfortable/tolerant with the idolatory of the Hindus then I wasnt referring to you. No need to get hyper. And you like it or not, accept it or not - the fact is Dharmic religions were the original faiths of this land and they played generous hosts letting the Abrahamic religions in and allowed them to flourish. Dont mistake that tolerance for weakness.

I am, already, in my promised land - India.

A land that gave refuge to various persecuted religions around the world. Something no one region/religion has done. A smallest give-back would be respecting the religious sentiments of the majority.

I am all for respecting the rights of every group, majority or a minority, so long as some very basic freedoms are not compromised.

Who decides what is his/her basic right ? If you ask me, seeing the Da Vinci code in theaters (which was banned due to protest by Catholics), reading Satanic Verses (which was banned due to Mullahs) and seeing what Innocence of Muslims was would be considered fundamental rights. But did I not forego them so that the religious sentiments of my countrymen would be respected ? Why do you, a section of minorities, expect that the Hindu always respect your sentiments, but you wont ?

As I have argued before - something that is sacrilegious in public cannot turn pure and acceptable when done in private (again, no comparisons with sex) - so why not bar the consumption of beef / pork altogether?

yes it is sacrilegious even when done in private. But being true to our tolerant ideals and as a compromise with the minority rights, I don't mind if you people eat that in your homes or in restaurants. But you needn't make a big hoopla out of it and shove it in my face.

If private consumption of beef is allowed, it necessarily entails killing the cow - a revered creature. What is the obsession with allowing the massacring of cows in private? Why not stop all of it?

There is more than one beef - buffalo for starters. That would come in the domain of general knowledge.

I'm being perfectly reasonable. Just because I dont have that fake plastic smile and that godawful political correctness doesn;t mean I'm being aggressive.

...Reasonable?! You claim to have been receptive and harmonious and peaceful and then at a drop of a hat, demand that entire communities move lock, stock and barrel. Apparently you have a word for it - HYPOCRISY...

Needles chest thumping. Well, werent you the one who said Muslims and xtians have a problem with idolatary ? I just proposed a solution for that. If you are comfortable/tolerant with the idolatory of the Hindus then I was referring to you. No need to get hyper. And you like it or not, accept it or not - the fact is Dharmic religions played generous hosts letting the Abrahamic religions in and allowed them to flourish. Dont mistake that tolerance for weakness.

...You misunderstood. Both religions abhor idol worship to the extent that people of the same faith are advised against it. There is no agenda to disseminate hate against people from other beliefs, who practice idol worship. And no need to be insecure - Hindus are a lovely people, which rich culture and heritage and have under, good leadership, proved to be a fierce lot....

A land that gave refuge to various persecuted religions around the world. Something no one region/religion has done. A smallest give-back would be respecting the religious sentiments of the majority.

...True India has played host to various persecuted religions. But i'm not sure if Islam and Christianity were one of them. Islam's arrival was aided by the tip of the sword, while missionaries spread the word of chrisitianty. Neither of the two were being persecuted. But, i must confess, I am terrible at history. So feel free to correct me, if i am wrong.

Who decides what is his/her basic right ? If you ask me, seeing the Da Vinci code in theaters (which was banned due to protest by Catholics), reading Satanic Verses (which was banned due to Mullahs) and seeing what Innocence of Muslims was would be considered fundamental rights. But did I not forego them so that the religious sentiments of my countrymen would be respected ? Why do you, a section of minorities, expect that the Hindu always respect your sentiments, but you wont ?

And who asks of you to forego these rights? In your infinite wisdom, you listen to the media grabbing right wingers and mistake that for the general perception within than community and brand us like that. I, and hundreds of other cathollics that I know, didn't ask for any such favours such as banning of the da vinci code. Most of us infact enjoyed the read.

yes it is sacrilegious even when done in private. But being true to our tolerant ideals and as a compromise with the minority rights, I don't mind if you people eat that in your homes or in restaurants. But you needn't make a big hoopla out of it and shove it in my face.

Tolerance?! The only reason it is allowed is that it doesn't make sense to say "secular" in constitution and then to frame rules in accordance with the belief system of one community. I am not indebted to you, or anybody else for the freedoms that i enjoy.

Just curious, what are you going to do in a Beef or Pork party? Just eating or there is some special celebration?

stupidity.

Why to stop pork and beef festival. Let these take place whoever wants to eat pork will go for it and who ever wants to eat beef will go for it those who dont want to will move on.

can a non muslim organize pork festivals in pakistan?

Back
Top Bottom