What's new

Delhi Court to JNU: No Beef or Pork festivals

Meat eating is mandatory in human life... Look at your teeth, they are designed for chewing meat

And did I put forth any argument against being a non-vegan ? You are confused. I eat all meat, except beef.

"More like ..bitter truth that is hard to swallow."

Nope. Still your knowledge about India is pathetic. The courts gave an order based on a FIR filed. That itself should put your argument to rest.

And did I put forth any argument against being a non-vegan ? You are confused. I eat all meat, except beef.

Im talking to your Bahraman brothers

Nope. Still your knowledge about India is pathetic. The courts gave an order based on a FIR filed. That itself should put your argument to rest.

And I said, FIR's in India take long times to review. Truth is bitter my friend

You have taken my argument, LITERALLY. So to answer your question - NO, i don't think CCTV cameras are installed in kitchens to monitor what we eat.

The message that i was actually trying to convey was that - to uphold the religious beliefs of one community as the benchmark to which all other communities have to adhere, by forgoing their fundamental rights - is a classical case of majoritarianism. A most ugly phenomenon, which if allowed, will have grave consequences.

Now, to apply the same logic in reverse. Muslims and Christians abhor idol worship. To uphold the religious sensitivities of these two communities, would it be appropriate for the state to bar hindu worshipers from attending temples and religious sites like vaishnodevi and tirupati?!

A clear line needs to be drawn between a citizen's religious rights and obligations and fundamental rights of his/her neighbor.

This is most tragic.

You still dont get the argument..do you ?

Do whatever you want in your private confines..eat whatever you want to eat...just dont make a public spectacle of it.

As for Muslim/Xtian abhorring idol worship, those who dont feel confortable living with the Hindus can feel free to migrate to some promised land where they feel more comfortable, away from the idolators. :)

French, or NOT - I agree that we are diverse society, but is it something new? India, for thousands of years, has been melting pot of different cultures and religions - it's about time that we grow up. Such childish intolerance is most futile and dangerous.

No its not. The opposite is actually dangerous. Have you any idea how many riots have started due to cow slaughter ?

If the feelings of the minority is to be respected, then better respect the sentiments of the majority too.

In the words of Ram Jethmalani, Minorities would grow and flourish only by a relationship of love, friendship and total confidence with the majority.

Firstly, I am a roman catholic. BUT, before you begin to judge my "inability to comprehend" religious concerns of Hindus, you should know that I was born to a Hindu father.

Did I felt good when Da Vinci code was banned in many states in India ?

Well, one can always appreciate a well reasoned response.

But I must clarify that i am not preaching anything, nor am i selling some european kind of secularism, nor am i harping on minority rights. And yes, certainly, there are more pressing issues.

I am merely opining that, if consumption of beef / pork is intolerable and that a ban is the way to go, why stop at merely barring fests and go the whole hog in banning it altogether? But if there is even an iota of logic that prevents us from doing so, i would say that the debate on barring a food festival is far from over.

Something that is sacrilegious in public, cannot suddenly turn normal / mundane in one's private life. And let's not compare this to sex.

I agree with you that beef should be permitted. However its very very low on my list of things for my country and community to improve.

And no by a public place i meant universities should be kept away from controvercial stuff because it caters to people of all faiths. Its not about morality at all, its about keeping a harmonious environment in universities so that people can do what they are there to do - and the quality needs some improvement there. So keep politics also out, keep beef and pork out, keep satanic verses out, keep **** out, keep videogames out, keep sex out :P, and those things can be done at other appropriate places. Surely I'm not saying ban any of them, not even **** :)

Students going to unv for studying not to eat beef/pork. People can eat beef/pork in hotels or restaurants , if people thinks eating beef is far more important than study better they can move to some muslims minority colleges/deemed university.

Im talking to your Bahraman brothers

Why stop at Brahmins.. Why not the increasing number of Westerners especially celebrities taking to vegetarianism.

Why people hate JNU?

Well, for one, as far as I can remember, the Satanic Verses didn't win the Booker Prize.

Secondly, you are attempting to compare something that does little else than to strike at the very heart of a belief system - to what has been a mere meal for a large part of the planet's population for a large part of human existence.

So now you are qualifying your earlier grandstanding statements of tolerance and freedom with exceptions towards your own religious sentiments. Well done. We have a word for that - HYPOCRISY. And yeah, many Indians hold a very deep feeling/reverence towards the cow and killing it and making it a public spectacle is akin to the "striking at the heart".

You dont decide what strikes at the heart of our belief. We decide that. For example, according to me Satanic Verses is a literary masterpiece and is well accepted by non-Muslims. So does it make that acceptable to Muslims ? No. Similarly you dont tell us what we should consider sacred or not. We decide that - in accordance with our belief system.

Beef could have been banned, But problem is most of the dalits and lower casts hindus eat. Apart from that many in kerala and tamilnadu eat. Is it sure if really majority wants to ban beef?.

Wrong wrong and completely wrong.

For the milllionth time, Muslims, please stop bringing in SC,STs and lower caste Hindus into your bandwagon to add support to your arguments. They are not Muslims and they dont need you to speak for them. And no one has a mirage that you people genuinely care for us.. For example, I'm an OBC..but I consider cow-slaughter a crime and so do most SCs I know of. Dalits eat beef -but that is buffalo beef and NOT cow beef.

And who said people in TN widely eat beef ? I'm from TN, cow-slaughter is a crime here and you dont get beef in restaurants except in hi-fi restaurants or in muslim localities.

So stop this falsehood now.

Students going to unv for studying not to eat beef/pork. People can eat beef/pork in hotels or restaurants , if people thinks eating beef is far more important than study better they can move to some muslims minority colleges/deemed university.

Have you ever heard of such nonsense happening in minority institutions. Its only happens in Govt run colleges especially having a strong leftist students union.

Well that is exactly my point. the subcontinent has played host to various cultures and all have flourished - with relative peace. Why try to create ripples now with attempts to establish a code of conduct on consumption of meats of different kind? .

Cow-slaughter was never a feature in Hindu traditions that now it is suddenly imposed on. Its not the sub-continent that played host to various cultures..Its precisely the Hindu/Dharmic religions which inhabited this land from time immemorial that played host to the later Abrahamic arrivals. Dont misuse the generosity is what I would like to say.

And i haven't been disappointed. Living in Mumbai, most people I know, if not indifferent to the issue, have appreciated the lack of logic and reasoning in attempts to justify the ill-advised prescriptions on public consumption of a food item.

Living in mumbai...Ahh...I dare you open a pork shop in Dongri or MA road or bhendi bazaar or byculla slums...Oh have you hard about this ? Sanal Edamaruku under attack for exposing Catholic "miracle" :)

You still dont get the argument..do you ?

Do whatever you want in your private confines..eat whatever you want to eat...just dont make a public spectacle of it.

As for Muslim/Xtian abhorring idol worship, those who dont feel confortable living with the Hindus can feel free to migrate to some promised land where they feel more comfortable, away from the idolators. :)

No its not. The opposite is actually dangerous. Have you any idea how many riots have started due to cow slaughter ?

If the feelings of the minority is to be respected, then better respect the sentiments of the majority too.

In the words of Ram Jethmalani, Minorities would grow and flourish only by a relationship of love, friendship and total confidence with the majority.

Did I felt good when Da Vinci code was banned in many states in India ?

I don't get it. Why this aggressive and xenophobic attitude?!

As for telling muslims and christians to buzz off - all these minority groups, including me, are as much a part of this country as any other Hindu. Self appointed heirs to India's "hindu" legacy have no business advising me on where I should be living. And no one is doing anybody else a charity by "letting us live here". We all have a social contract with the government, which is legal, binding and enforceable.

I am, already, in my promised land - India.

I am all for respecting the rights of every group, majority or a minority, so long as some very basic freedoms are not compromised.

I have read the davinci code, found it to be a decent one-time read.

Have you ever heard of such nonsense happening in minority institutions. Its only happens in Govt run colleges especially having a strong leftist students union.

Absolutely true , minorities institution having separate laws and they are more religious oriented people. But same people demand secularism in hindu or govt. institution damn hypocrites.

Everybody stop wasting your time on Icewolf, he's a finished product and has nothing to offer to any of us and we have nothing to offer to him.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom