What's new

Deep sea port in doldrums

No i think its Chinese who is taking the time. We sent Foreign secretary then again foreign minister to follow that up after PMs visit.
Its a huge project and Chinese has other priorities as well.
Chinese are looking at the feasibility study that we ran and decided to run it by themselves again. These kind of things take time.

I have not seen any transit traffic yet.

The Chinese have offered millions of dollars in aid and committed even more money for the project but unlike the transit facility this deal has been stalled for much longer. The Chinese have been pushing this for a long time but it is the AL government who are delaying. Why the difference between this and the transit deal unless the Indians are exerting pressure through guarded threats.

After the last caretaker govt and with the help of army beating Chittagong port turned out to be the most efficient port in Asia.

I do wish that were true, but seems to be in the realm of fantasy. Undoubtedly, there must have been a "sea-change" in the quality of Chittagong port operations during the time of the last CTG (courtesy the Army or whoever), but "most efficient port in Asia"??
All the people in the trade would have been talking about that. They did'nt.

I do wish that were true, but seems to be in the realm of fantasy. Undoubtedly, there must have been a "sea-change" in the quality of Chittagong port operations during the time of the last CTG (courtesy the Army or whoever), but "most efficient port in Asia"??
All the people in the trade would have been talking about that. They did'nt.

Chittagong port ranked most efficient in Asia

In the study titled “Benchmarking the Efficiency of Asian Container Ports”, Chittagong port has been ranked first due to efficiency from a total of 69 ports from 17 Asian countries.

Bangladesh holds the first place in the list of 12 ports who were ranked for “super efficiency”, followed by the Zamboanga and General Santos ports in the Philippines in the second and third spots. The other ports in the list include “Xiamen of China, Sihanoukville of Cambodia, Davao of Philippines, Yantian of China, Lianyungang of China, PSA Int of Singapore, Tianjin of China, Mumbai of India, and Guangzhou of China”.

The remaining 47 ports were termed “both scale and technically inefficient”.

Although the report does mention that the Chittagong port is using “existing old and new equipment at its optimum level”, the researchers reached the conclusion after evaluating data from the 69 ports over the past five years. The study was carried out in 2010 and published in the African Journal of Business Management (Vol 5(4), pp 1397-1407) on February 18, 2011.

The UNB reported in Bangladesh: “The study analysed the technical efficiency and scale efficiency of Asian container ports by means of DEA. The analysis shows that the main source of overall technical inefficiency in Asian container ports is due to pure technical inefficiencies rather than scale inefficiencies.”

The study also suggested that “port managers must improve their management practices to favour efficient ways and to meet customer requirements. Ports must enhance their handling activities and computerise container terminal operations.” The next step is to now improve the scale efficiencies.

While this is enough to serve as motivation for the Bangladesh authorities to maintain efficiency at the port, its full potential was seldom realised due to labour issues, political crises and other factors.

Bangladesh: Chittagong port ranked most efficient in Asia | Asian Correspondent

^^^
Nice to read that news story above. As said in the story, it was published in African Journal of Business Management (Vol 5(4), pp 1397-1407) on February 18, 2011. Is that a International Sea-Trade journal or publication?
But never mind, any improvement, considering that it may have been achieved inspite of poor infrastructure and equipment; is commendable. That apart from sheer mismanagement and conflicting agendas of major interests have been the bane of Chittagong port. Coupled with the great SA sport of calling "Hartals" at the drop of a hat.

No my statement is a national imperative while your verbosity is a strategic error. :chilli:

You seem to suffer from a form of 'meningitis' - bloated head through self assumed importance.

Jealousy is indeed a poor medium to secure love, but it is a secure medium to destroy one’s self-respect.

You are jealous of everything India - the Nation and its citizenry.

It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

You seem to suffer from a form of 'meningitis' - bloated head through self assumed importance.

Jealousy is indeed a poor medium to secure love, but it is a secure medium to destroy one’s self-respect.

You are jealous of everything India - the Nation and its citizenry.

It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

Jealousy and hatred are for mere insects like yourself. I have nothing against the citizenry of India. They do not make policy and probably do not know the evil things the GOI get up to in the neighborhood.

Jealousy and hatred are for mere insects like yourself. I have nothing against the citizenry of India. They do not make policy and probably do not know the evil things the GOI get up to in the neighborhood.

Hi there, I’m a human being! What are you?

I’m sorry, I’m a little busy. Can i ignore you later?

eye_popping.gif

ETEGLASSES.gif

A picture is worth a thousand words

Back to the topic.

It is good thing that the port will be up and running for commercial traffic.

It will be a great boost for Bangladesh's economy.

Will do marvels for the economic strategy.

Geostrategically, it is not material.

China should realize that the AL Government is not going to give it the Deep Sea Port facility. India will get its transit and a strategic advantage.

The price tag of Sonadia deep sea port is $9 billion. If this port does not get businesses from China, Burma as well as India includung its NE, then it is useless to build this port. With a partial market, the port will lose money. So, do you really want our port to lose money by not allowing India to use it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom