What's new

Dawn: an anti-Pakistan newspaper ?

investigative journalism does not happen by sitting in AC office and searching for stories on internet...

anyway... each profession has its own ethics... you should not judge journalists by ethics of your profession.
I am no journalist, but may be you should ask somebody from their profession. What is considered obvious to us as layman, may not be that obvious.

Why should I not judge them by what they make me to see 24/7 or read in their pieces. Moral Ethics are same for each profession with a bit of change in terminology and words, but the crux is same. There needs to be a difference between pure journalism and what you personally want people to believe and see.

Agreed Investigative journalism does not happen by sitting in AC office, but I hope it also does not require one to become Sherlock Holmes or an agency operative or asset or an agency itself. Investigate matters that need investigation and need to be brought in light for awareness of public. But leave the ones which are beyond scope of being a journalist.

Why should I not judge them by what they make me to see 24/7 or read in their pieces. Moral Ethics are same for each profession with a bit of change in terminology and words, but the crux is same. There needs to be a difference between pure journalism and what you personally want people to believe and see.

Agreed Investigative journalism does not happen by sitting in AC office, but I hope it also does not require one to become Sherlock Holmes or an agency operative or asset or an agency itself. Investigate matters that need investigation and need to be brought in light for awareness of public. But leave the ones which are beyond scope of being a journalist.
what is important for public is subjective, You already agree that journalist(field journalists) need to get their hands dirty, and not wait for a story to fall on their lap.

About professional ethics,again, your understanding is different from what a professional guild have decided.
For example in India, a lawyer cannot refuse to take a case because he thinks the party is guilty. Its professional misconduct to refuse, he has to defend rapists/murderer/whoever. General public however blames the lawyer for taking case of murderer.(yeah money is involved, but lets keep that aside)

Here is another example of how your understanding of another professional ethics might be different.
Imagine you just saw a infant victim of violent rape die in your hospital. Meanwhile people thrashed the rapist, and the guy is in coma.
As a doctor, should you remove the life support. Should you try your best to get him better and allow law to decide?

what is important for public is subjective, You already agree that journalist(field journalists) need to get their hands dirty, and not wait for a story to fall on their lap.

About professional ethics,again, your understanding is different from what a professional guild have decided.
For example in India, a lawyer cannot refuse to take a case because he thinks the party is guilty. Its professional misconduct to refuse, he has to defend rapists/murderer/whoever. General public however blames the lawyer for taking case of murderer.(yeah money is involved, but lets keep that aside)

Here is another example of how your understanding of another professional ethics might be different.
Imagine you just saw a infant victim of violent rape die in your hospital. Meanwhile people thrashed the rapist, and the guy is in coma.
As a doctor, should you remove the life support. Should you try your best to get him better and allow law to decide?

If everything is subjective then what are we discussing? any tom dick and harry can become a journalist then.

For the bold part I am not a doctor and don't know how would a doctor feel, but with my current mentality if I was a doctor then well to be honest, considering the law and law enforcement situation in my country (pretty much same as of your's) I would not only make that bastard die but make his death as much painful as it can be. But if I knew that he won't escape the law and will be punished for his heinous crime so that there is no other victim of his cruelty, I would support as much I can so he lives to face the charges against him and victim's family get to see him die.

Sorry I don't remember the name exactly (Tehelka and Tarun Tejpal I think) the guy who reported so much on so and so in India and finally got arrested for harassing and molesting his own female colleague in an elevator? What do you make of that?

If everything is subjective then what are we discussing? any tom dick and harry can become a journalist then.

For the bold part I am not a doctor and don't know how would a doctor feel, but with my current mentality if I was a doctor then well to be honest, considering the law and law enforcement situation in my country (pretty much same as of your's) I would not only make that bastard die but make his death as much painful as it can be. But if I knew that he won't escape the law and will be punished for his heinous crime so that there is no other victim of his cruelty, I would support as much I can so he lives to face the charges against him and victim's family get to see him die.

Sorry I don't remember the name exactly (Tehelka and Tarun Tejpal I think) the guy who reported so much on so and so in India and finally got arrested for harassing and molesting his own female colleague in an elevator? What do you make of that?

Tehelka guy's case is more politically motivated than anything else, as he did some of the biggest exposes and stings on big ticket politicians..

But his exposes were only on BJP and never congress, so the stings and exposes were themselves politically motivated..

It's slightly complicated and not cut and dry, his case..

Regarding your view on media, here all the mainstream channels allow even separatists and dissidents to voice their view, on tv debates and editorials.. People hear all sides and then make up their mind as to the truth of the matter.. Silencing one view, because someone thinks it's anti national is very dangerous for a democratic nation.. Silencing one view, does more harm than allowing it in a democracy..

Last edited:

just as I expected, you confused emotions with professional ethics. If it was so obvious they wont be teaching you as a subject.
Carry on mate, teenage life is beautiful, pure and so simple. Cherish it, coz it wont come back. :wave:

I used to read Dawn regularly few years back (before joining PDF, and i used to a reader here too)....... I thought they were very good..... their articles were interesting to read....... Is there any truth in OP?
like I said its a matter of opinion of the writer and how the audience perceives it
that said.

ALL media agencies have their own agenda, their preferences and a point of view and they project something and put few things on the back burner.

what OP is saying may or many not be true. it depends on who you ask
if you ask me, I will say No and quote writers like Irfan haider or Nadeen etc who write very well and their purpose is to generate a debate and a thought. whereas there might be some unknown authors or some morbid haters who only see bad in a state or organisation and have their own baggage and somehow get the chance to vent their hatred or mockery.

case in point BBC employes Ahmed Rashid and listens to Najam Shethi, both are blamed for supporting and activily participating in Baloch insurgency back in the late 60s-70s.. now expecting something good coming out from them for ISI and Pakistan military will be really goofy likewise people who were kicked out and got dishonourable discharge from military are also propped up there is one guy sorry forgot his name he hosts an Urdu program and only has poison and hatred towards military and he is open supporter of TTP and the other one is Kamran Shafi .. they dont criticise... they actually write hatred and their views are very extreme and violent against what defines Pakistan. why do they Do it and why do they get the limelight is debatable.

I have view on it (either paid in kind to malign Pak military or do it due to their extremists views ) and I respect you if you choose to disagree.
but not others who will choose to pick few sentences of my post out of context and make and arse of themselves by asking something obnoxious.

this OP reminds me of a very old thread on this forum about 2 years old about an ex KGB agent who talks about sabotage and shaping public opinion he detailed the role of KGB and RAW against Pakistan as examples too.

in the end just to repeat for the benefit of those who have short attention span.
look beyond words and look at the history of the writer and guess his intent.. is his intent malicious and destructive or is his writing a thought provoking opportunity for some better solution?

Last edited:
If Dawn is anti Pakistan then what about Daily Ummat?

Hinduguy have you ever seen us centcom 'digital team' members posting here. What do you think is their aim?

No we haven't seen that because we are still living in old age :) we need to brace up
they do have nadeem paracha... if that piece of shit is working there... you know something wrong with heir editor.

NFP is just one version. His write ups in the website are mostly satire while some of his serious work gets space in the newspaper version.

But it does not mean that something is wrong with Dawn editor. You can read all and analyse things by yourself

If Dawn is anti Pakistan then what about Daily Ummat?

:P ummat is world class fair professional beating all international quality newspapers.

How dare you questioned its integrity .

just as I expected, you confused emotions with professional ethics. If it was so obvious they wont be teaching you as a subject.

Its called evaluating and deciding at the spot, you could afford that rapist another chance to live and rape another infant, I won't sorry I can take tough decisions and own them. And I told you already that my decision would be based on what is the law enforcement situation in my country.

Carry on mate, teenage life is beautiful, pure and so simple. Cherish it, coz it wont come back. :wave:

Old weak hearts cannot make tough decisions under tough circumstances uncle (as you called me teenager) I can understand your condition :bunny:

Tehelka guy's case is more politically motivated than anything else, as he did some of the biggest exposes and stings on big ticket politicians..

But his exposes were only on BJP and never congress, so the stings and exposes were themselves politically motivated..

It's slightly complicated and not cut and dry, his case..

Regarding your view on media, here all the mainstream channels allow even separatists and dissidents to voice their view, on tv debates and editorials.. People hear all sides and then make up their mind as to the truth of the matter.. Silencing one view, because someone thinks it's anti national is very dangerous for a democratic nation.. Silencing one view, does more harm than allowing it in a democracy..

I don't have a problem with constructive discussion and would love to see complex, complicated conflicts resolved through debate, but if we keep waiting for discussing matters on tv and all the while the other party is killing your soldiers, our children then sorry it would be too late for me to see the democracy progressing, the only view I would get is from my grave. And I would reiterate my view again, this media is not for the service or welfare of public, its there to make money, to become part of power game and in some cases they even try to be king makers.

Yeah whatever. Good luck living there in old age . Suits ya.

Mishunderstanding I think

there is a difference in "us" and US of A I think :undecided:. Your original post confuses US to be read as us. My two cents only.

Bahiiiii united states centcom imeant tht one.

That is what I am saying may be that other poster has confused it with us (hum) appa. I would recommend you better edit your comment and write it in CAPITAL letters. :usflag:

I don't have a problem with constructive discussion and would love to see complex, complicated conflicts resolved through debate, but if we keep waiting for discussing matters on tv and all the while the other party is killing your soldiers, our children then sorry it would be too late for me to see the democracy progressing, the only view I would get is from my grave. And I would reiterate my view again, this media is not for the service or welfare of public, its there to make money, to become part of power game and in some cases they even try to be king makers.

Buddy, the majority of the media in every country on this earth is partisan and prejudiced, and indulges in paid journalism, pushing a certain agenda.

Very rarely would you find, truly neutral and honest journalism in media, world over.

We have same allegations of certain media and activists being anti national, or working against national interests.. Like activists who blame Indian army, and argue for terrorists, and getting significant space in print and tv media..

But just because they are allowed to air their views, doesn't mean that majority of people will agree with them.. The majority of people will hear all sides and then make up their own mind..

The point being that no view should be silenced by the state, and people should be allowed to decide what is anti national and what is not, after hearing all sides..

Back
Top Bottom