What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
India May Buy More Than 126 Fighter Jets, Boeing Says (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

Feb. 1 (Bloomberg) -- India may order “many more” than the 126 fighter jets it has sought bids for as it upgrade its armed forces, according to Boeing Co.

“I think 126 could be an initial number and there could be many more airplanes than that,” Joe Song, vice president of the company’s defense business, said in an interview in Singapore today. “They see the need to update an ageing fleet.”

Boeing, the second-largest U.S. defense contractor, is competing for the order, which may be worth as much as $11 billion, with companies including Lockheed Martin Corp., and Dassault Aviation SA. The companies submitted bids in April 2008 to supply the jets as the Indian air force modernizes its predominantly Russian-made fleet.

India may decide on the order by March 2011 as field trials of the planes began in 2009, Defense Minister A.K. Antony has said. Sitanshu Kar, a ministry spokesman, today said he couldn’t offer any immediate comment on buying more jets.

The plan to buy 126 jets is the biggest fighter-plane order in 15 years worldwide, Chicago-based Boeing has said. Boeing’s F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet is competing with Dassault’s Rafale, Lockheed’s F-16, Russia’s MiG-35, Saab AB’s Gripen and the Eurofighter Typhoon from a joint venture of Airbus SAS, BAE Systems Plc and Italy’s Finmeccanica SpA.

Goodrich Upgrades Eurofighter Typhoon's Ground Proximity Warning System

INGAPORE, Feb. 1, 2010 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- SINGAPORE AIRSHOW -- Goodrich Corporation (NYSE: GR) has initiated the upgrade of the TERPROM® Ground Proximity Warning System (GPWS) for the Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft. The upgrade adds air-to-surface targeting information to the existing TERPROM predictive ground proximity warning system capabilities, and is expected to be incorporated into the future batch enhancement upgrade to the aircraft. The system is being provided by Goodrich's Sensors and Integrated Systems team, from the Plymouth, UK-based Atlantic Inertial Systems (AIS) business that was acquired by Goodrich in December, 2009.

The upgraded TERPROM will use its terrain database and proprietary ranging functionality to provide the Typhoon's attack computer with accurate position, height and range data for ground targets selected by the pilot. This data will then be used to refine the firing solution, increasing the accuracy of weapons delivery. The system supports the enhanced ground attack role of the Typhoon and the ongoing desire to reduce collateral damage without the need for additional sensors or weapon enhancements.

Over 5,000 commercial, military and rotary wing aircraft worldwide are fitted with TERPROM, a portable software system that can be hosted in third-party hardware or provided as a complete line replaceable unit.

Goodrich Corporation, a Fortune 500 company, is a global supplier of systems and services to aerospace, defense and homeland security markets. With one of the most strategically diversified portfolios of products in the industry, Goodrich serves a global customer base with significant worldwide manufacturing and service facilities.

Goodrich Upgrades Eurofighter Typhoon's Ground Proximity Warning System

India May Buy More Than 126 Fighter Jets, Boeing Says (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

Feb. 1 (Bloomberg) -- India may order “many more” than the 126 fighter jets it has sought bids for as it upgrade its armed forces, according to Boeing Co.

“I think 126 could be an initial number and there could be many more airplanes than that,” Joe Song, vice president of the company’s defense business, said in an interview in Singapore today. “They see the need to update an ageing fleet.”

Boeing, the second-largest U.S. defense contractor, is competing for the order, which may be worth as much as $11 billion, with companies including Lockheed Martin Corp., and Dassault Aviation SA. The companies submitted bids in April 2008 to supply the jets as the Indian air force modernizes its predominantly Russian-made fleet.

India may decide on the order by March 2011 as field trials of the planes began in 2009, Defense Minister A.K. Antony has said. Sitanshu Kar, a ministry spokesman, today said he couldn’t offer any immediate comment on buying more jets.

The plan to buy 126 jets is the biggest fighter-plane order in 15 years worldwide, Chicago-based Boeing has said. Boeing’s F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet is competing with Dassault’s Rafale, Lockheed’s F-16, Russia’s MiG-35, Saab AB’s Gripen and the Eurofighter Typhoon from a joint venture of Airbus SAS, BAE Systems Plc and Italy’s Finmeccanica SpA.

Why dont they just get 200 and call it a day.

That will guarantee India a minimum of 500 advanced Multirole aircraft by 2020.

Why dont they just get 200 and call it a day.

That will guarantee India a minimum of 500 advanced Multirole aircraft by 2020.

200 MRCA will cost too much. Remember MRCA is a stopgap meausre adopted due to severe LCA delays.

Besides, now that PAKFA has flown, I would rather we use the fund to buy more of the 5th gen PAKFA than 4.5 gen MRCA.

200 MRCA will cost too much. Remember MRCA is a stopgap meausre adopted due to severe LCA delays.

Besides, now that PAKFA has flown, I would rather we use the fund to buy more of the 5th gen PAKFA than 4.5 gen MRCA.

Well i never liked the size of our fleets. its 32.5 squadrons right now.
To be increased to 42 squadrons by 2020

We should maintain an air fleet in the thousands. I am up for any pathway that lets as accomplish that..

i think we should but 200+ and the order should be in two diffrent types

rafale and f 18
or
rafale and mig 35

Beleave me guys it will be 130 F 18 plus 100 Rafale (IAF & Navy included)

Indian Navy is not interested in F18 it may opt for F35 or RAFALE or GRIPPEN NG

I think it should be 100 eurofighters as IAF will learn tons of new things due to its super maneuverability and stronger ties with EU
rest should be mig 35 as we have flown them for years & compatibility shoudnt be a problem

We have been adapted to Russian stuffs, beautiful birds and killer machines at the same time.... Nothing can match them.... We should get mig-35 and rafael if possible

has any one considered the angle that if we go for say 100 f-18 ,we might get a chance to buy growlers, which no country has or, can offer us for atleast 15 yrs....
comments awaited...

Guys, there is no way we can buy two different platforms for MRCA. The logistics included would break IAF's back. right now we are operating too many different platforms. then there's LCA, MRCA and FGFA to come in. i am not counting MCA, coz hopefully by that time MiG-21s, Mig-27s and jags will be retired.

the only planes that won't give too much logistical problems are MiG-35 and Rafale (coz we operate MiG-29 and Mirage 2000). Even then, these fighters will add to logistics coz they are more advanced than the versions we operate.

So imagine the nightmare IAF will face if we get two different platforms for MRCA.

has any one considered the angle that if we go for say 100 f-18 ,we might get a chance to buy growlers, which no country has or, can offer us for atleast 15 yrs....
comments awaited...
India will never get fully capable F18SH Growlers, it's even doubtful that Australia gets them and they are a close alley!
Boeing offered a Growler lite for export customers, but the US Gov will have to decide and even if they are on offer for IAF, they won't be so special anymore, because they lack jamming pods and won't have much more to offer than EF, or Rafale in terms EWS. Not to forget that there are jamming pods available for our MKIs too
( http://www.defence.pk/forums/india-defence/37431-su-30-mki-growler.html ), so we don't have to go for a totally new aircraft for such a role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom