What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEW DELHI — The French Rafale fighter aircraft, shortlisted by the Indian Air Force (IAF) for its $12 billion Medium Multirole Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) program, will engage with IAF aircraft in June 3 joint exercises over the Rajasthan desert.

The Indo-French air exercise, Garuda-5, will include four Rafale multirole fighter aircraft and one air refueler that will participate with IAF’s multirole Su-30MKI, MiG-27 and MiG-21 aircraft.

While the exercise is unlikely to test the performance of the Russian or the French aircraft, it will expose to IAF personnel the French aircraft’s capabilities in maneuvers, said an IAF official. The MMRCA deal, in which Rafale is the preferred aircraft, has been in the contract negotiations stage for more than a year and is awaiting finalization.

“Preference for the French Rafale during the exercise by IAF pilots and personnel will lead to voices from within the IAF for an early inking of the MMRCA contract,” said Nitin Mehta, a defense analyst here.

MiG-21 Crashes in Jammu and Kashmir, Pilot Dead
Updated: May 27, 2014 18:18 IST

MIG_crash_PTI_360x270.jpg

Jammu: A MIG-21 fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force or IAF today crashed in Bijbehara area of Anantnag district in Kashmir, killing the pilot.

The pilot, Squadron Leader Raghuvanshi, 32, was killed in the crash, they said. According to the villagers present there, the pilot steered the plane away from populated areas to save civilians lives.

"Once we heard about the crash we rushed to the site, took out the body of pilot and handed it over to the army and police," said a villager Mushtaq Ahmad.

The MIG-21, which was on a routine exercise, crashed in an open field at Mirhama in Bijbehara area, 45 kms from Srinagar, defence sources said.

Squadron Leader Bansi was a resident of Surat and had married four years ago.

The MIG-21 had taken off from Technical Airport in Srinagar today morning, sources said.

The cause of the crash was not immediately known. The Air Force has ordered a court of inquiry.

While speaking about the incident, Defence Minister Arun Jaitley said he was "sorry" and that it was "a matter of grave concern."

"My heart goes out to the pilot who lost his life," he said.

Chief Minister Omar Abdullah tweeted, "My condolences to the family, friends & colleagues of the pilot killed in the MIG crash today. May his soul rest in peace."

MiG-21 Crashes in Jammu and Kashmir, Pilot Dead | NDTV.com

MiG-21 Crashes in Jammu and Kashmir, Pilot Dead
Updated: May 27, 2014 18:18 IST

MIG_crash_PTI_360x270.jpg

Jammu: A MIG-21 fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force or IAF today crashed in Bijbehara area of Anantnag district in Kashmir, killing the pilot.

The pilot, Squadron Leader Raghuvanshi, 32, was killed in the crash, they said. According to the villagers present there, the pilot steered the plane away from populated areas to save civilians lives.

"Once we heard about the crash we rushed to the site, took out the body of pilot and handed it over to the army and police," said a villager Mushtaq Ahmad.

The MIG-21, which was on a routine exercise, crashed in an open field at Mirhama in Bijbehara area, 45 kms from Srinagar, defence sources said.

Squadron Leader Bansi was a resident of Surat and had married four years ago.

The MIG-21 had taken off from Technical Airport in Srinagar today morning, sources said.

The cause of the crash was not immediately known. The Air Force has ordered a court of inquiry.

While speaking about the incident, Defence Minister Arun Jaitley said he was "sorry" and that it was "a matter of grave concern."

"My heart goes out to the pilot who lost his life," he said.

Chief Minister Omar Abdullah tweeted, "My condolences to the family, friends & colleagues of the pilot killed in the MIG crash today. May his soul rest in peace."

MiG-21 Crashes in Jammu and Kashmir, Pilot Dead | NDTV.com
Right to put this here.

I just though it would support the idea the new fighters are urgently needed.
I agree with you, this is the right place to put it. The Rafale/MMRCA, the LCA and the Su-30 MKI are all meant to replace MiG-21 and MiG-27 SQDs. That is why I have been saying for a long time this deal cannot be delayed anymore- pilots are literally dying waiting.

Hi, I think it's pretty open at the moment and can even result in a re-evaluation like it was the case in your country after the government change. For India it can look like this:

1) BJP (and some push from Reliance) want to fix Rafale deal and focus on that
2) BJP want to re-evaluate the shortlisting (pushed by the EF consortium and partner countries, possibly even by the US and Israel in support of the UK/GER) and want to take an own decision, based on own priorities => MMRCA decision gets delayed with all chances for the EF again
3) BJP things Rafale is too costly and there should be a higher focus on indigenous developments => MMRCA will be cancelled for LCA / AMCA

With BJP's obvious negative approach towards the Rafale and promising indigenous developments on the other side, imo it will be difficult now for Dassault, but lets hope for the best!

deal cannot be cancelled,,u will be wrong big time.

I agree with you, this is the right place to put it. The Rafale/MMRCA, the LCA and the Su-30 MKI are all meant to replace MiG-21 and MiG-27 SQDs. That is why I have been saying for a long time this deal cannot be delayed anymore- pilots are literally dying waiting.

cancelling this deal is suicidal and won't be done,,,its 100% gonna be signed

Actually it must be posted in the LCA thread, because the delays of the project are the cause for extending Mig 21s operations. More over, the GoI / MoD should show DRDO / ADA how many pilots have died in recent crashes because they didn't got their acts together in the LCA project!

deal cannot be cancelled

Legally it can be cancelled of course and since we didn't signed any contracts yet, it's even a simple thing to do IF the new government would want it. But as I said, it would be the worst thing to do to take a decision based on pride reasons for indigenous developments, while the reality shows us how far behind our industry is.

Actually it must be posted in the LCA thread, because the delays of the project are the cause for extending Mig 21s operations. More over, the GoI / MoD should show DRDO / ADA how many pilots have died in recent crashes because they didn't got their acts together in the LCA project!

Legally it can be cancelled of course and since we didn't signed any contracts yet, it's even a simple thing to do IF the new government would want it. But as I said, it would be the worst thing to do to take a decision based on pride reasons for indigenous developments, while the reality shows us how far behind our industry is.

i did not say wrt to legal provisions but in general.
it caanot be cancelled now

HAL sucks and blood of mig-21 crashes is on their hand

Well it's a mix of both really- the Rafale WILL BE replacing MIG-21 and 27 SQDs just like how some MIG-21 SQDs have converted fully over to MKIs now. So a mix between the LCA not getting up to speed by now and the Rafale procurement delays have led to the ridiculously high number of MIG-21s/27s still in service. It needs all 3 replacements (LCA, Rafale and MKI) to come on line faster for these fatal and needless accidents to stop once and for all.

Well it's a mix of both really

You have to keep the aims in mind and that replacement is done by number and not necessarily by capability. The aim of LCA was to replace Mig 21s, which it couldn't and that made MRCA coming in as a short term solution. M-MRCA on the other hand, was not a simple fighter replacement anymore, but aimed on industrial improvement as well, which is even the core reason why we demanded Dassault to fulfill the RFP requirements in all accounts. MKI was meant to replace Mig 23s and 27s in numbers, but was forced to replace Mig 21 squads partially too, to keep air defence capable, that's why M-MRCA might replace some Mig 27s squads as well, especially at the north eastern regions.
So the only one that actually had only the aim of replacing the Mig 21s was LCA, while the others had more strategic aims as well, be it operational or industrial. That's also why it would be wrong by BJP to take any decison without propper understanding which offer is the best for India and the industrial side. Just taking a fast decision "only" because of this crash, is not useful for the overall aim of the competition and would make all the effort spent on the competition useless. Just like cancelling it for indigenous pride reasons and hope on LCA / AMCA would be a waste and completelly unrealistic too.
No matter which government and no matter what fighter, at the end the best package of advantages must be selected!

I see Rafale signed eventually late 2014 as Modi Govt settles in and the Rupee grows stronger and growth rates pick up to over 5.5% -6% of GDP.

TRANSFORMATION OF IAF will be slow & painfully.

First rafale sqd arrives 2016 = 18 planes
First indengious Rafale sqd arrives in 2018 = 36 planes
50 Rafales by 2020.

LCA TEJAS mk1 slow and tortourous

40 LCA MK1 by 2018 only
First LCA MK2 sqn by 2020. = 20 planes

In short by 2020

272 su30mki (including 40 super sukhoi)
60 Tejas mk1/2
50 Rafale F3
50 Mirage 2000-5
60 Mig29 smt
72 Jaguar Darin 1/2.

I make that 30 combat sqds

First rafale sqd arrives 2016 = 18 planes

Not possible, only 7 fighters can be diverted to export customers by 2016, another 11 in 2017, so the first squadron can only be delivered by the end of 2017 early 2018 unless France diverts more of their F3+ that will be delivered before 2016.

Service chiefs brief Arun Jaitley on defence preparedness
Sources also claimed that Jaitley was informed how army has not bought artillery guns since 1987 after the Bofors debacle and how shortage of nearly 6 lakh hand grenades and obsolete transport helicopters is
affecting preparedness.

Indian Air Force is down to 33 squadrons of fighter jets against the required strength of 39 squadrons. Efforts to procure 126 medium combat jets has not been completed after seven years of efforts. And
the navy too is short of conventional submarines as the fleets of diesel-powered submarines is down to a single digit and projects to develop underwater capability are lagging behind of schedule.

Service chiefs brief Arun Jaitley on defence preparedness | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

We really need to take this subject more seriously. A nation our size is being

out manourved by Pakistan with more falcons and indengious thunders.

We are scraping around with migs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom