What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions [Thread 2]

Sadly no HMSD used on the MKI as of now, the TopSight-I is the most likely to feature post the "Super" upgrade but then I have also heard that the HMSD being devlpped for the PAK-FA may be used but I have no specs or confirmation of that.

su 30 mki uses this SURA Helmet-Mounted Target Designation System (HMTDS), Is this good or not ?

http://spetstechnoexport.com/catalogues/145

Sadly no HMSD used on the MKI as of now, the TopSight-I is the most likely to feature post the "Super" upgrade but then I have also heard that the HMSD being devlpped for the PAK-FA may be used but I have no specs or confirmation of that.

I googled and found SURA HMS on MKI ; same as MIG 21 Bison

BTW what about Jaguar

I'm a bit confused, is this the same as the GENTEX Scorpion? Has Thales bought the rights to it or is it the otherway around? Did GENTEX buy the rights for the US market?

https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/cont...ay-and-motion-tracking-businesses-gentex-corp
Arlington, VA – November 5th, 2012 – Thales announced that it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire the Helmet Mounted Display (HMD) and motion tracking businesses from Gentex Corporation. Called “Visionix,” the combined group designs, develops and delivers HMD, inertial tracking and sensor fusion technology for defense and aerospace applications, along with others that require precision motion tracking, to customers worldwide. Visionix operates from locations in Aurora, Illinois and Billerica, Massachusetts.
The acquisition of Visionix will give Thales the ability to offer highly capable HMD technology amidst rigorous budget constraints within the market. Visionix’ motion tracking technology (sold under the brand name “InterSense”) integrated into its Scorpion™ Helmet Mounted Cueing System provides an optimal solution of choice for pilots and integrators that allows for rapid deployment as well as affordable procurement and life cycle costs.
The full color is a Thales technology.

su 30 mki uses this SURA Helmet-Mounted Target Designation System (HMTDS), Is this good or not ?

SURA-I

image.jpeg

Looks like the Chinese produce it too:

TK-14--- older helmet -- this was actually proposed by the Chinese for JF.
image.jpeg

New Chinese HMD;

image.jpeg

I googled and found SURA HMS on MKI ; same as MIG 21 Bison
True it is used on the IAF's MiG-29Bs also (UPGs use the TopSight-I) but it isn't a true HMSD like the DASH III/TopSight which is what I thought @Stephen Cohen was asking.

It's pretty outdated but works for cueing HOBS missiles, it doesn't provide any form of situational awareness though.

BTW what about Jaguar
The DARIN III standard Jags are slated to get the TopSight-I HMSD afaik.

Thanks for the info sir.

The point remains though, that for the sake of commonaility the TopSight-I makes more sense for the IAF's Rafales unless the Scorpion will be used for other IAF/IN platforms in the future (like the FGFA or AMCA or MKI). That said, te next gen platforms are likely to feature advanced HMSD similar to that found on the F-35 (interestingly though the F-22s are set to get the Scorpion).

What about SU 30 MKI

Which HMDS it uses

The MKI uses the Russian SURA-K.

An old tweet from Saurav Jha

Oh and don't forget the Air force, which in the name of 2-front war is now looking to bring in not one but two imported fighters.

The F-35 HMDS is too heavy for ejection.
Why can't just have a simple exoskeleton support from the shoulders? Will the movements get hindered? Like during ejection the support becomes rigid, that way won't hinder the pilots during normal times..

We need to take a decision soon ; we are wasting time

The decision will be taken only in 2017 for MII.

Why can't just have a simple exoskeleton support from the shoulders? Will the movements get hindered? Like during ejection the support becomes rigid, that way won't hinder the pilots during normal times..

Exoskeletons also have weight you know.

Back
Top Bottom