What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions [Thread 2]

Welcome back bro.. Was missing you for a long time.. Go nice and easy .. Don err to go again for a long holiday.. Need good members like you here ...

Don't get into flame bait wars.. Those threads are the reason why most of our friends go for forced holidays..

You are absolutely right

But that day I was just angry and hence could not control myself

Any way ; nice to be back and also looking forward to interactions with
@GURU DUTT @Abingdonboy and @MilSpec

Do not worry. Once, the Rafale thing is out of the way, the IAF will suddenly find love with the LCA. And will ask for Mk IA.

It appears the LSA may get official backing. The maker says it can be delivered to the air force in 4 years.

I would still much rather 400+ LCA (Mk.1, Mk.1A and MK.2) than 200 LCA and 200 Gripen. By the very nature of business it is against SAAB's interests to help develop the LCA to be a Gripen NG competitor (that the MK.2 would be). Hence all SAAB offers (for Gripen in the IAF and help with the LCA) should be rejected outright.

If the LSA happens, all this won't matter.

Anyway, right now there is no plan to buy more LCAs for the IAF. And there's no longer a Mk1/Mk1A/Mk2 designation as far as the IAF is concerned. They are looking at the LCA as just one version which will be upgraded whenever possible.

If orders are expected to go beyond the 100 Mk1As, then the configuration has to change drastically from what it is. I doubt they will wait for the LCA Mk2. And DRDO says the Mk2 will be ready only by 2024, that's very late.

It appears the LSA may get official backing. The maker says it can be delivered to the air force in 4 years.

I have read his comments on the other forum (finally its back).

IF, it does come online, then I hope it is a second line. Not at the cost of the LCA. 2 Indian planes is better.

I have read his comments on the other forum (finally its back).

IF, it does come online, then I hope it is a second line. Not at the cost of the LCA. 2 Indian planes is better.

The 120 LCAs will be built for IAF. That bit has already been settled. Now the only question is if ADA/HAL will deliver the Mk1As in time.

I may disappoint you, but I do not believe in the LSA: it's like to want to make a very effective stealth fighter from a Mirage 3. The basic technology is too old.

I may disappoint you, but I do not believe in the LSA: it's like to want to make a very effective stealth fighter from a Mirage 3. The basic technology is too old.

If the LSA is a Gripen/LCA/F-16 with high TWR, high range, supercruise and large internal bays, then it will be a huge success. VLO is the icing on the cake.

Anyway, he's only using the aerofoil, not the airframe design. The F-22 uses the old NACA 6 series aerofoil, and that's older than the aerofoil he's planning on using. It's a proven design.

If the LSA is a Gripen/LCA/F-16 with high TWR, high range, supercruise and large internal bays, then it will be a huge success. VLO is the icing on the cake.

Anyway, he's only using the aerofoil, not the airframe design. The F-22 uses the old NACA 6 series aerofoil, and that's older than the aerofoil he's planning on using. It's a proven design.

Plz any open source for this details of LSA .. I want to read about it..

Update on Rafale Deal on Indian Media - Same as usual - No change - But one small but significant information

+++
Talks to acquire French Rafale fighter jets not yet over
NAYANIMA BASU

NEW DELHI, MARCH 1:
Negotiations to acquire 36 Rafale fighter jets from France for the Indian Air Force have still not been concluded even as a High Committee on Defence Cooperation (HCDC) is looking into the matter.

“A memorandum of understanding (MoU) between Indian and French Government has also been signed on January 25, 2016, in this regard. Negotiations with the French side are currently on,” Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar told the Rajya Sabha Tuesday.

The MoU, which was signed during the visit of French President François Nicolas Hollande, was finalised when Prime Minister Narendra Modi made his trip to France in 2015.

Since then the talks have been mainly stuck on the issue of pricing as India had demanded certain changes in the design.

A High Committee on Defence Cooperation (HCDC) last discussed the Rafale deal when it met in Paris on January 12.

According to Parrikar, the committee had also discussed the purchase of these multirole combat aircraft manufactured by Dassault Aviation, a French defence giant, in fly-away condition.

Apart from this, the committee had also discussed the MoU signed between both governments on Defence equipment supplies.

(This article was published on March 1, 2016)
Talks to acquire French Rafale fighter jets not yet over | Business Line
+++

Comment
I am wondering what changes in the design implies? If what i understand is correct , design changes was so far assumed for M88-9 engine of 9 Tonnes of thrust for UAE. Bcz that requires a bigger air intake same like M88-3 program.

So is this the official confirmation in our media that India has in fact planned for 9 Tonnes engine over 8.3-8.5 Tonnes one?

If true then this goes in line with what PSK said here and what i had said in comments

upload_2016-3-2_7-27-18.png

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions [Thread 2] | Page 162

and as @Picdelamirand-oil also quoted

upload_2016-3-2_7-24-22.png

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions [Thread 2] | Page 165

The question to now wonder is
1. If IAF plans for an increased thrust with redesign in air intake for a M88-9 -9T variant then of course there is a 2 prong approach here
  • The cost part would increase much more than 8.3-8.5 T program of Safran and re design is costlier
  • Perhaps thats why Dassault may have a discussion going on for this particular customization as a tri party talks between Dassault/French side with UAE and India to share the cost
  • UAE deal may happen first followed by Indian deal to share the cost part.
2. It is beyond doubt in my mind that such big customization will imply India wont stop at just 36 and will of course look at making more Rafales as effectively this is a very customised Indian version and will be something like Rafale - F3 Inde or F3I or analogous to the term MKI

3. Its also making much sense now why the cost part was quoted much higher if reports in media about Euro 10-11.5 Bn are to be believed or closer to Rs 85-90K. Simply being if we look at air intake re design, checking and rechecking all parameters of present Rafale in terms of say Drag, Stealth, and all associated flying tech re calibration etc coupled with Spectra+weapon loads retests (as pointed by Pic), there is going to be an upswing in costs.. and its going to be much higher than presumed 8.3-8.5 T engine alone. And also the time factor will increase.

4. Most importantly, DM MP or MOD or CNC does not have much leverage now of reducing all costs associated with the massive customization as somewhere India has to agree or at least look at a ball park figure closer to Dassault figure which they are requesting as the work is pretty big in terms of time and monetary needs. India cannot quote Euro 7Bn and expects all things would get included here as it would be too much for asking such a customization.

5. In another equal probability, if deadline continues, harping costs angle, DM MP will let Rafale deal wither.. Unfortunately, its a shame that gullible masses will never come to know India had asked for a very top of the line customization and is expecting it in a price which is technically not feasible.

Its getting a bit interesting now...

@Abingdonboy @Vauban @Taygibay @Picdelamirand-oil @anant_s @cerberus @knight11 @AUSTERLITZ @MilSpec @halloweene

Update on Rafale Deal on Indian Media - Same as usual - No change - But one small but significant information

+++
NAYANIMA BASU

NEW DELHI, MARCH 1:
Negotiations to acquire 36 Rafale fighter jets from France for the Indian Air Force have still not been concluded even as a High Committee on Defence Cooperation (HCDC) is looking into the matter.

“A memorandum of understanding (MoU) between Indian and French Government has also been signed on January 25, 2016, in this regard. Negotiations with the French side are currently on,” Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar told the Rajya Sabha Tuesday.

The MoU, which was signed during the visit of French President François Nicolas Hollande, was finalised when Prime Minister Narendra Modi made his trip to France in 2015.

Since then the talks have been mainly stuck on the issue of pricing as India had demanded certain changes in the design.

A High Committee on Defence Cooperation (HCDC) last discussed the Rafale deal when it met in Paris on January 12.

According to Parrikar, the committee had also discussed the purchase of these multirole combat aircraft manufactured by Dassault Aviation, a French defence giant, in fly-away condition.

Apart from this, the committee had also discussed the MoU signed between both governments on Defence equipment supplies.

+++

Comment
I am wondering what changes in the design implies? If what i understand is correct , design changes was so far assumed for M88-9 engine of 9 Tonnes of thrust for UAE. Bcz that requires a bigger air intake same like M88-3 program.

So is this the official confirmation in our media that India has in fact planned for 9 Tonnes engine over 8.3-8.5 Tonnes one?

If true then this goes in line with what PSK said here and what i had said in comments

View attachment 296167

View attachment 296166

1. If IAF plans for an increased thrust with redesign in air intake for a M88-9 -9T variant then of course there is a 2 prong approach here
  • The cost part would increase much more than 8.3-8.5 T program of Safran and re design is costlier
  • Perhaps thats why Dassault may have a discussion going on for this particular customization as a tri party talks between Dassault/French side with UAE and India to share the cost
2. It is beyond doubt in my mind that such big customization will imply India wont stop at just 36 and will of course look at making more Rafales as effectively this is a very customised Indian version and will be something like Rafale - F3 Inde or F3I or analogous to the term MKI

3. Its also making much sense now why the cost part was quoted much higher if reports in media about Euro 10-11.5 Bn are to be believed or closer to Rs 85-90K. Simply being if we look at air intake re design, checking and rechecking all parameters of present Rafale in terms of say Drag, Stealth, and all associated flying tech re calibration etc coupled with Spectra+weapon loads retests (as pointed by Pic), there is going to be an upswing in costs.. and its going to be much higher than presumed 8.3-8.5 T engine alone. And also the time factor will increase.

4. Most importantly, DM MP or MOD or CNC does not have much leverage now of reducing all costs associated with the massive customization as somewhere India has to agree or at least look at a ball park figure closer to Dassault figure which they are requesting as the work is pretty big in terms of time and monetary needs. India cannot quote Euro 7Bn and expects all things would get included here as it would be too much for asking such a customization.

5. In another equal probability, if deadline continues, harping costs angle, DM MP will let Rafale deal wither.. Unfortunately, its a shame that gullible masses will never come to know India had asked for a very top of the line customization and is expecting it in a price which is technically not feasible.

@Abingdonboy @Vauban @Taygibay @Picdelamirand-oil @anant_s @cerberus @knight11 @AUSTERLITZ @MilSpec @halloweene

LOL you disclosed it Bro

+++
NAYANIMA BASU

NEW DELHI, MARCH 1:

+++

Comment

View attachment 296167

View attachment 296166

I think The M-88 9t is not interesting and is probably not the reason of discussions. I'm not sure that the Rafale performance will be upgraded compare to the 8.3 t solution.
But there is other customisations to discuss
  • HMDS
  • Litening pod (a relatively complex integration)
  • 8.3 t
  • weapons ==> Astra Brahmos?...

Fact check :
No one is getting the 9T engine! Repeat after me, no one!

What Picdelamirand-oil tried to point out is that it would require a cell re-design for new intakes.
That the aerodynamic qualities of the Rafale's design are extremely high and essential to it ...
so that a new front end would equate to a new aircraft and the research that goes with it.

At MLU maybe, if enough folks are interested so the shared funding mitigates the huge job!
As of today for India and UAE, that redesign will not take place and 8.3/8.4 full ECO compliant
engines are the best and only offer.

So that if there is a design change in your asking position, it must be about something else.

Good luck with that & back out of here, Tay.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom