What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

The question is does China need 10 carriers. The United States has 10 carriers and circumnavigates the entire world. I'm pretty sure China has no intention of replacing the US as the "world's policeman." A force of 10 carriers would be extremely costly to operate ... money better spent on nuclear submarines.

Whether China needs 10 carriers or not also depending on her relation with the US. If the relationship between China and US keep deteriorating like right now with trade war. Whose to say it might not turn into a hot war in the future? Both sides do not want war, but miscalculation does happen.

There is no intention of China to replace the US as the world's policeman. But what if the policeman started to blackmail and provoking you into fights? Then it doesn't matter how costly is to operate 10 carriers or even more. You got to do what you got to do to defend your interest. It might not be about cost but survival of a nation. As for now, 10 carriers does sound like too much. But we don't know what's going to happen in the future

The question is does China need 10 carriers. The United States has 10 carriers and circumnavigates the entire world. I'm pretty sure China has no intention of replacing the US as the "world's policeman." A force of 10 carriers would be extremely costly to operate ... money better spent on nuclear submarines.

As others have stated, it all depends on the geopolitical situation. If the PLA-Navy plans to have three carriers per fleet (North, East and South) then a total of 10 isn't that far out. One carrier in maintenance, one for training and the other on station. The 10th carrier could be used to protect her interests outside of their Sphere of Influence (i.e. Africa).

Dredging progress ...

48025025047_de3f38e109_o.jpg

Interesting comparison of the Shanghai JNCX shipyard & Type 003 carrier construction/assembly site: left images were taken on 8. March 2019 ... right one on 8. June 2019.

PLN Type 003 carrier construction site - 20190308 + 0608.jpg

Surely the above is NOT where Type 003 carrier #1 will be constructed/assembled? :D

Surely the above is NOT where Type 003 carrier #1 will be constructed/assembled? :D

To admit, I'm still undecided if they will move these super-modules to a dedicated dry dock - say the famous no. 4 - assemble it to the finished carrier, move it back for outfitting ... or if there will be a "final-assembly" site just there?

What do you think?

PLN Type 003 workflow jn.jpg

To admit, I'm still undecided if they will move these super-modules to a dedicated dry dock - say the famous no. 4 - assemble it to the finished carrier, move it back for outfitting ... or if there will be a "final-assembly" site just there?

What do you think?
View attachment 564268

I think is impossible to do final assembly AC at superblocks construction site. because after finish AC assembly it will be ~330 meter long, is danger launch at basin only 850 meter long and hard to control during launch to water. as China shipyard always play safe, transport superblocks to dry dock #4 will be most possible choice.

Last edited:
They're going to need to dig a deeper basin if they're planning on building it completely at that site.

10 carriers by 2049 is doable. Already they have two. 30 years is more than enough time to build 8 carriers.

I guest currently Liaoning Aircraft Carriar will going to retire not later than 2030, since it already in water more than 33 years. other 11 year before 2030 pretty enough to serve PLAN.

I guest currently Liaoning Aircraft Carriar will going to retire not later than 2030, since it already in water more than 33 years. other 11 year before 2030 pretty enough to serve PLAN.

Maybe. Although the Liaoning (formerly Varyag) was exposed to the elements for a decade, it was never used because construction was stopped for financial reasons. Dalian shipyard spent about 9 years evaluating it's seaworthiness. AFAIK, there was no mention of how much work was needed to make her seaworthy again. Since the construction completion / refit took a little over a year, it suggests to me that not much repair was needed. If she's retired by 2030, that would only mean a short period of 18 years of service which isn't much, especially that she wasn't used as often as other carriers in the World. What's the longest time Liaoning spent at sea? A month? What's the frequency of use? IMO, there's plenty of life left in her. My guess would be somewhere between 2040-2050 is when the PLA-Navy would even consider retiring her.

What's the official line regarding power generation? Nuclear or conventional? AFAIK, there has been no consensus on this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom