What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

There is no way 003 is nuclear powered

where is the land based test facility ?

there is no magic jump to CVN

it’s a long hard haul

003 can’t be nuclear powered
The facility is in the Sichuan province, they are already over that phase, people are talking about the nuclear powered icebreaker or something, but yeah, the type 003 is not nuclear powered

There is no way 003 is nuclear powered

where is the land based test facility ?

there is no magic jump to CVN

it’s a long hard haul

003 can’t be nuclear powered

For China, there is no alternative other than the nuclear reactors, even the layout of the Type 003 engine room supports this.

Really? Do we have images clear enough of the engine room?

It has been showed before, and it has been analyzed by many military enthusiasts in China.

Here is the meaning of the labels in English and the comparison between the Type 003 and Type 002.

核堆 = nuclear reactor
汽轮机 = steam turbine
锅炉 = boiler
辅舱 = auxiliary room

You can see that the layout of the engine room is fundamentally different between the Type 003 and Type 002.

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Nah, 003 is China Kitty-Ford, conventional with EMAL, China dont need nuke powered

It's not yet officially possible to release it, but I got note, that the modules were realigned so that they are now in the correct order ... and no longer that way: I'm sure in a few days we get more info.

PLN Type 003 carrier - 20200307 sketch.jpg

It's not yet officially possible to release it, but I got note, that the modules were realigned so that they are now in the correct order ... and no longer that way: I'm sure in a few days we get more info.

View attachment 627158

The layout of the engine room has showed that this ship indeed still uses four steam turbines.

Since it is significantly larger than the Type 002, it is unlikely it is still being 4 x 50,000 shp, more likely the 4 x 70,000 shp version very close to the US Kitty Hawk/Nimitz/Ford.

The steam turbines can be either driven by the eight steam boilers or two nuclear reactors.

The problem is that China hasn’t yet developed the steam boiler more powerful than the one being used in the Type 001/002.

Therefore, this leaves the nuclear reactor as the only plausible answer.

Kitty Hawk class: 8 steam boilers + 4 x 70,000 shp steam turbines

Nimitz class: 2 A4W nuclear reactors + 4 x 70,000 shp steam turbines

Ford class: 2 A1B nuclear reactors + 4 x 70,000 shp steam turbines

Type 001/002: 8 steam boilers + 4 x 50,000 shp steam turbines

Type 003: ????? + 4 x 70,000 shp steam turbines?????

View attachment 627158
Could never understand that they originally placed the modules in the wrong order..........as once built up you still have to move them to realign properly at some point!

At the Jiangnan Shipyard in Shanghai at the famous drydock no. 4, where the final assembly of the Type 003 aircraft carrier is expected, this floating dock (?) or huge barque for transporting the modules was spotted. Or is this this something different?

49821650848_d654c1e952_k.jpg

I'm probably a bit too far off with a speculation, but these structures on that barque (if it is indeed one ?) look quite similar to rails and like rails we know on the construction site?

What do you think?

PLN Type 003 carrier barque.jpg

Back
Top Bottom