What's new

CV-18 Fujian - Type 003 Aircraft Carrier News & Discussions

Cross-post from https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/chinese-navy-plan-news-discussions.84213/page-331

PLN Type 003 carrier - 20190308 - collage.png

via SDF:

Totoro said:
Interesting image. Green circle is the 003 (called 002 on this forum) and it shows a very large chunk already assembled. With possibly even larger piece, hidden by the movable roof cover. We're talking about 100+ meters of ship hull being assembled, almost to the main deck level.

Red circle is probably nothing of significance. I am guessing that's the commercial shipbuilding. But it's peculiar to me that the roof covers have appeared there as well, in great numbers. Since there's no reason for commercial shipbuilding to be hidden from view, the only reason one'd go into such expense is to improve the quality of the build. To prevent rain/snow. Or possibly to give better working conditions to the workers, though that too seems like an expense that's not warranted, especially in this day and age where there's an excess of commercial shipbuilding workforce due to low shipping demand.

Yellow circle is interesting too. There seems to be a warship like bow sticking out. Those halls were used to build early few 052Ds, but then they switched to assembling them out in the open. Now they may be going back to building them inside. Would that suggest that there's not enough space to assemble them outside? Perhaps 055s will be built for some time more?

PLN Type 003 carrier - 20190308 + info.png

IMO. they are only fabricating (not assemble) module blocks in the green circle area. It is unwise to assemble (and launch) an aircraft carrier in the green circle area due to shallow pool next to it and lack of proper waterway leading to the river mouth of Yangtze river making launching impossible. Moreover, transport an assembled hull from there need ultra heavy weight road transporter which have to be specifically designed and built just for aircraft carrier 003.

Assembly of hull should be in another area, long rumoured to be dry dock #4 Southwest of the berthing pool where the recently launched destroyers are found. The choice option to launch a large ship safely is using a dry dock. And hope that we will see assembly of hull in next few months as the fabrication of module blocks is now in advance stage.

Last edited:
Are those three modules being linked together?

That's exactly what bit seems ... at the SDF another member posted:

Higgle said:
The most significant development is that the modules have been rotated into the 'correct' orientation, and are in the process of being -- or already have been -- joined together to form a large section. The last time we saw a photo, the modules were still positioned in a row alongside each other.

Only two possibilities regarding construction method remain:
1. The entire hull will be constructed where it currently stands, which is unlikely.
2. The section will be transported to a dry dock when a dry dock is available.

Large module assembly has been predicted for a long time now, so I'm much more inclined to believe the latter.

The question is, where are the other sections?

Before:

02dPNLT.jpg

Now:

s8WgNdA.png

Next few months will tell (within Q2, or Q3 at the latest), I think @lcloo pointed to the right direction. And the general consensus is the huge block won't be built at the marked "green circle" area.

And by the way, will DSIC take a carrier production facility renovation prior to doing its next big carrier? Or just wait it finishing the trial and handing over the carrier 002 to PLAN?

Next few months will tell (within Q2, or Q3 at the latest), I think @lcloo pointed to the right direction. And the general consensus is the huge block won't be built at the marked "green circle" area.

And by the way, will DSIC take a carrier production facility renovation prior to doing its next big carrier? Or just wait it finishing the trial and handing over the carrier 002 to PLAN?

Indeed ... however the question is: where will it be completed and how will they move this now much larger than the QE2 segments to this final area?

It seen like there is what looks like a new road being built that should be completed in a few months. This road is wide and link the fabrication site to the river side. My guess is that if it is indeed a road, then it is possible that module blocks could be transported by land transporter to the river bank and transfer to a barge, and then send to the dry dock. (refer to the yellow line I added to the photo)

There is another road to the West but there is a bridge, and the big question is whether that bridge can bear the weight of those large module block.

003 dnd.jpg

I think it might only have a single island, thin and tall. Very interesting design as the island is located at the front.

This design needs refinement, why two towers? USN Ford has only one. And I hope those 2 round holes like in the 2 towers are not smoke funnel because nuclear powers ships do not need them.

The two lifts on the right side are too close to each other, not a good idea in damage control view, because an enemy missile can damage both in one hit by big blast or fire.

Anyway, it is still too early for a final design.

傲游截图20190314224139.jpg

it says, for 003, f31 is gone, f20 may be possible, but a more feasible outcome is a whole new G4 for 003, because there are more and more f35 nearby.
so one day, PLAN generals went to AVIC CAC and asked for a new G4 for 003.....
so, PLAN G4 is coming.
look at the picture, are you sure they are J20 derivatives?

Back
Top Bottom