What's new

Cultural Decline of England

I never denied that fact that their HDI is better than us.

I have no problem considering England in the league of a Scandinavian country. But is that what they want? If it is a conscious choice to 'little England', then it's fine. But where in their national narrative do you find that? Even those that say 'Little ENgland' seem to assume they are in a privileged position in the world- ask them to give up the UNSC seat and they'll go all arms up.
England in the league of a Scandinavian country?:rofl:
Very funny joke. I live in Switzerland and when I went to England 1 year ago to visit my relatives
England looked more like a 3rd world country compared to Switzerland, Germany or Scandinavian
countries. The wages are too low and the educational system is very bad.

UK punches above her weight... even now...and I guess well into future.
Asians and even mainland europe lack leadership skills, that English (generally anglosphere) have.

Specific to English, pragmatism is one of their most admirable trait.

England in the league of a Scandinavian country?:rofl:
Very funny joke. I live in Switzerland and when I went to England 1 year ago to visit my relatives
England looked more like a 3rd world country compared to Switzerland, Germany or Scandinavian
countries. The wages are too low and the educational system is very bad.

Thats because you went to visit your relatives, presumably in a place full of ethnics.

You forgot, Drugs, Alcohol, Single Mothers, Children having Children, Dysfunctionalism, Work Stress, Obsession with Money, No Respect for Elders, Obsession with Celebrity without Talent, Loss of Empire, Loss of Self-Belief, Lack of Passion in Sport... i can go on for hours...

Don't forget the nail in the coffin for letting in mass numbers of low skill, welfare seeking immigrants from third and fourth world countries.

UK and France should vacate their position from UNSC as permanent members and let rising powers like India,Brazil etc should take their position.
:lol: :lol:
images (3).jpg

UK is miles ahead of India in human rights, caring for individuals etc.
Pretty sure they invented queue too... something Indians still cant get used to.:p:

Two institutions brits should genuinely take pride, the welfare system, and the NHS. Both face challenges, but I dont see them being dismantled.

Turns out I'm not the only one who feels this way. The economist agrees.

British foreign policy: Punch and duty | The Economist

Punch and duty
JUST over 20 years ago the foreign secretary, Douglas Hurd, declared that Britain should aim to “punch above its weight in the world”. Today the country seems reluctant even to enter the ring. A recently retired British NATO chief, speaking of Russia and Ukraine, has complained that the prime minister, David Cameron, has become a “foreign-policy irrelevance”. America despairs of Britain’s shrinking armed forces and criticises its “constant accommodation” of China. Allies are worried, opponents scornful.
The country’s politicians, who are fighting to win a general election on May 7th, appear unbothered by the world’s sneers. That is a mistake. Britain’s diminishing global clout is a big problem, both for the country and for the world.

The uses of abroad
As a largish power in relative decline, Britain has a tendency to veer between hubristic intervention abroad and anxious introspection at home. After Tony Blair’s expeditionary misadventures in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition was always going to shun grand schemes. But Mr Cameron has been not so much cautious as apathetic, ineffective and fickle.
The prime minister made a brave and passionate case for armed intervention in Libya against Muammar Qaddafi. But he did not reckon for the day after and the country is now in a state of civil war. He led America to think Britain would support it in bombing raids against Syria, but then bungled the parliamentary vote. Though Britain was one of the moving forces behind the 1994 Budapest memorandum, which supposedly guaranteed Ukraine’s security when it gave up its Soviet-era nuclear weapons, Mr Cameron has been almost absent in dealing with Russian revanchist aggression against it. Last year, as host of a NATO summit, the prime minister urged the alliance’s members to pledge at least 2% of their GDP to defence. Just months later a straitened Britain looks poised to break its own rule.
In Europe the promise of an in-out referendum if Mr Cameron wins the election has made Britain seem semi-detached. But rather than counteract that impression through vigorous diplomacy, the prime minister has reinforced it. In European Union summits he has been underprepared and overambitious. His humiliating attempt to block Jean-Claude Juncker from becoming president of the commission left him with only Hungary for company. Pulling the Conservatives out of the EU’s main centre-right political group has had the unintended effect of cutting Mr Cameron out of vital discussions with other centre-right leaders, such as Germany’s chancellor, Angela Merkel.
It is hard to be more optimistic about a Labour government. Ed Miliband, the party’s leader, is pro-European, but he has no more feel for American foreign policy than Mr Cameron does. He apologises for Labour’s interventionist history so strenuously and unreservedly that he leaves no room for liberal intervention. Disastrously, a Labour government might well be propped up by the Scottish National Party, which wants to scrap the submarine-based nuclear-missile system that is a pillar of Britain’s relations with America and NATO.
Mr Cameron’s defenders say that Britons are war-weary and impoverished. But Mrs Merkel and François Hollande, the French president, have shown that you can have an active foreign policy while dealing with an economic crisis.
Just now liberal values and international co-operation especially need defending. New emerging powers, particularly China, want a say in how the world works. By seizing Crimea and invading Ukraine, Vladimir Putin’s Russia has challenged norms of behaviour that were established after the second world war. If Britain does not stand up for its values, it will inherit a world that is less to its liking.
And Britain is well placed to make a difference. With a great diplomatic tradition, a permanent seat on the UN Security Council and strong, if fraying, ties to both Europe and America, Britain ought to be pushing hard to extend open trade, human rights and international law as well as newer agendas against crime, terrorism and climate change.
To make its voice heard, Britain needs to bulk up its diplomacy and its armed forces. Pledging to spend 2% of GDP on defence may seem arbitrary but it is a crucial signal to America and other countries that Britain is prepared to pull its weight in exchange for NATO’s guarantee of joint security. That makes more sense than the commitment (which both Mr Cameron and Mr Miliband cherish) to spend 0.7% of GDP on foreign aid. The money can, and should, be found.
On the one hand your criticise us for having an exaggerated view of our place in the world and on the other we're being criticised for not paying enough attention to global problems. Which is it because it can't be both.

Pretty sure they invented queue too... something Indians still cant get used to.:p:

Two institutions brits should genuinely take pride, the welfare system, and the NHS. Both face challenges, but I dont see them being dismantled.
The NHS is something we should all be proud of but that doesn't mean it s above criticism. Others (Scandinavia, France and Germany) do universal healthcare FAR, FAR better than we do similarly we should try and emulate their world class education. It is frankly embarrassing how pathetic our State schools are (institutions I have managed to avoid) when compared to the state funded/run/administered schools of mainland Europe and Scandinavia.

Why do Indians write so much crap about the UK? Apart from right wing neo nazi crew which exist in every country, culturally its solid, British people understand its values. I am not sure about outside of London but London is ethnically diverse whilst having the British values as the bond.

I am not sure for immigrants or ones who have recently arrived are up to standard however. It should be a minimum to speak the language competently. This should apply to anyone who is not coming for a holiday.

Other issues such as dress, wearing a black tent over you in public is just ridiculous. Also unless its a wedding or a occasion there is no excuse to wear desi clothes.

But I have noticed many Indians who are pretending to be English neo nazis saying very horrible things about the Pakistani community in the UK online. Some of these Indians have absolutely nothing better to do then make life difficult for other people. Very sadistic.

For example, when Moeen Ali was playing for England, British Indian fans in the stands were abusing his Pakistani heritage.

The NHS is something we should all be proud of but that doesn't mean it s above criticism. Others (Scandinavia, France and Germany) do universal healthcare FAR, FAR better than we do similarly we should try and emulate their world class education. It is frankly embarrassing how pathetic our State schools are (institutions I have managed to avoid) when compared to the state funded/run/administered schools of mainland Europe and Scandinavia.
conservatives dont want to tax people.. want to reduce welfare budget... so basically opposite of scandinavia.
if you see budget proposal, both parties are scared to raise taxes.

conservatives dont want to tax people.. want to reduce welfare budget... so basically opposite of scandinavia.
if you see budget proposal, both parties are scared to raise taxes.
It's true that countries I have praised are far more liberal/progressive than even the left wing mainstream parties in the UK. It is time the UK taxpayer matured really and understood that if they want world class infrastructure and services they need to pay for it. The Scandinavians understand this equation and are quite happy to swallow higher taxes because the benefits they see and society as a whole are massive.

As it stands this country is a great place to live if you are part of the elite and super rich or if you are dirt poor and on benefits but It really is the middle class that have been squeezed in the past few years.

I consider it all intertwined. I didn't mean painting and similar arts of 'fine culture'. Something on the lines of a 'national culture'. How you approach life. The drive and ambition that countries show to prevail, that is increasingly not seen.
just for the 'drive' and 'approach life' part, Britain seems better than India```guess you India is 'declining power too'?````Ooh, sorry where to begin with :P

The NHS is a great institution.The care i recieved after a car accident from ambulance to hospital stay was great and all free.Having lived in India and the states britain to me seems the most caring for its people.

The NHS is a great institution.The care i recieved after a car accident from ambulance to hospital stay was great and all free.Having lived in India and the states britain to me seems the most caring for its people.

I needed a wisdom tooth to be removed. I was late for my appointment and they stayed late past their shift to get the job done, so kind. All completely free. Well not really, tax is very painful so glad its going somewhere.

The British made a television series called "The Tomorrow People" (the original) and SPACE 1999. For this, I will always appreciate them. Oh and also for The Clash & The Who.

Back
Top Bottom