What's new

Cultural Decline of England

Guynextdoor2

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
I know this sounds too dramatic, but the unceremonious exit of England from Cricket World Cup to me is only the latest in a long line of things that indicates a society in decline. Inward looking, stuck in prolonged debates of immigration (that seems to last unreasolved for decades) and Aid, the fact that they are being left behind by more vigorous players doesn't seem to sink in to them. WHen they first began losing out in Cricket they consoled themselves by sayig they were rising in Football. But turns out, the Beckhamized, Celebritized version of Football they took pride in is no good. They got booted out there too.

Every time they attack our scientific work and space research, I ask myself 'the problem is not that we have a program but that they don't?' Now increasingly falling back on Industry, Technology Levels, military strength and Sport, I think England is the starkest reminder of what happens when a society becomes complacent, too inward looking and obsessed with the little things that make you believe your privileged position is eternal. There are lessons in this for us. Eternal Hunger and Eternal Ambition is everything.

World Cup 2015: Bangladesh Knock England Out, May Face India in Quarters - World Cup 2015 News

I know this sounds too dramatic, but the unceremonious exit of England from Cricket World Cup to me is only the latest in a long line of things that indicates a society in decline. Inward looking, stuck in prolonged debates of immigration (that seems to last unreasolved for decades) and Aid, the fact that they are being left behind by more vigorous players doesn't seem to sink in to them. WHen they first began losing out in Cricket they consoled themselves by sayig they were rising in Football. But turns out, the Beckhamized, Celebritized version of Football they took pride in is no good. They got booted out there too.

Every time they attack our scientific work and space research, I ask myself 'the problem is not that we have a program but that they don't?' Now increasingly falling back on Industry, Technology Levels, military strength and Sport, I think England is the starkest reminder of what happens when a society becomes complacent, too inward looking and obsessed with the little things that make you believe your privileged position is eternal. There are lessons in this for us. Eternal Hunger and Eternal Ambition is everything.

World Cup 2015: Bangladesh Knock England Out, May Face India in Quarters - World Cup 2015 News

You forgot, Drugs, Alcohol, Single Mothers, Children having Children, Dysfunctionalism, Work Stress, Obsession with Money, No Respect for Elders, Obsession with Celebrity without Talent, Loss of Empire, Loss of Self-Belief, Lack of Passion in Sport... i can go on for hours...

Are you still angry about a documentary nobody watched? . We stopped being number one a long time ago and are no longer trying to be but if you were to compare us with India on a whole range of human development whether health, literacy, gdp per capita or scientific research we rank well in the lead. And we do still go into space.

Last edited:
Are you still angry about a documentary nobody watched? If we're against mass immigration and foreign aid then that is a matter for us not you. We stopped being number one a long time ago and are no longer trying to be but if you were to compare us with India on a whole range of human development whether health, literacy, gdp per capita or scientific research we rank well in the lead. And we do still go into space.

Even Belgium and Luxembourg has similar health,literacy etc as yours but nobody says they are powerful nations. Power comes from military strength and prospects of it's future expansion.

UK is a fading power now and it is fading fast with all high health,literacy etc. UK and France should vacate their position from UNSC as permanent members and let rising powers like India,Brazil etc should take their position.

Even Belgium and Luxembourg has similar health,literacy etc as yours but nobody says they are powerful nations. Power comes from military strength and prospects of it's future expansion.

UK is a fading power now and it is fading fast with all high health,literacy etc. UK and France should vacate their position from UNSC as permanent members and let rising powers like India,Brazil etc should take their position.
Won't happen as the US wants us there and China will block you.

Are you still angry about a documentary nobody watched? . We stopped being number one a long time ago and are no longer trying to be but if you were to compare us with India on a whole range of human development whether health, literacy, gdp per capita or scientific research we rank well in the lead. And we do still go into space.

And you think I'm embarrassed and sensitive about a documentary that shows the dark side of my society? Or that we don't know the severe faults our society has? We know them and will fix them. No matter what it is we are determined.
Trying to throw muck at someone else when your own weaknesses are talked about is the exact sense of complacency that I talked about.
It looks like it's not obvious to you that other people can easily see----Britain does not compete in anything anymore. Others even if they are poor and hungry (like the Chinese in the 1980s and we in the 21st century) fight. That's what is missing.

Maybe if you didn't have a nanny it would help you more. US places far more importance on the role that India has to play. They would be EXTREMELY irritated if went after you for trivial reasons but that's not out of any spectacular brotherly love for you.

And you think I'm embarrassed and sensitive about a documentary that shows the dark side of my society? Or that we don't know the severe faults our society has? We know them and will fix them. No matter what it is we are determined.
Trying to throw muck at someone else when your own weaknesses are talked about is the exact sense of complacency that I talked about.
It looks like it's not obvious to you that other people can easily see----Britain does not compete in anything anymore. Others even if they are poor and hungry (like the Chinese in the 1980s and we in the 21st century) fight. That's what is missing.

Maybe if you didn't have a nanny it would help you more. US places far more importance on the role that India has to play. They would be EXTREMELY irritated if went after you for trivial reasons but that's not out of any spectacular brotherly love for you.
Whose throwing muck? The BBC that's all. Nobody else cares and very few bothered to watch it. I can assure you nobody here is lying awake at night worrying about India's rape problem the way you seem obsessed with Britain's decline.

Whose throwing muck? The BBC that's all. Nobody else cares and very few bothered to watch it. I can assure you nobody here is lying awake at night worrying about India's rape problem the way you seem obsessed with Britain's decline.

I never said BBC threw muck. I applaud them for the contribution they have made to my society. I'm talking about you. You chose to counter the points I made, not by saying that there is something vital in your society but by trying to tell us how bad our situation us. How are the two related?

That was exactly my point . What is UK without USA ?

Independently UK has lost all relevance in the global arena.It become global lieutenant that too a unreliable one.

lol, give me a break.. what triggered this, just because they lost to Bangladesh ? :rofl:

I haven't been to the UK in a decade now and I've never lived there for any significant period of time so I can't say if they're declining, maybe they are.. but still so much better than the 3rd world as far as living standards for the average person is concerned.

The title is misleading!

Honestly, UK is loosing weight in world economy, military as well as international politics. But she could still be proud to be a giant in modern culture, art, finacial services and sciences.

As I said before we're not trying to be a major world power any more. It isn't possible given our population

The title is misleading!

Honestly, UK is loosing weight in world economy, military as well as international politics. But she could still be proud to be a giant in modern culture, art, finacial services and sciences.

I consider it all intertwined. I didn't mean painting and similar arts of 'fine culture'. Something on the lines of a 'national culture'. How you approach life. The drive and ambition that countries show to prevail, that is increasingly not seen.

I consider it all intertwined. I didn't mean painting and similar arts of 'fine culture'. Something on the lines of a 'national culture'. How you approach life. The drive and ambition that countries show to prevail, that is increasingly not seen.
Half of the population is over 41. Nobody that age will have the same drive and ambition as a young person would.

Besides criket maybe half of modern sports originated or spread from England. Even though somebody got a world title, it's still part of English culture. In China or else where people eat a curry dish and everybody knows it's from Indian culture. Do you agree?

Back
Top Bottom