What's new

Cracks seen in the flyover pillar

India seems to be similar to BD with no design/ construction standards/ rules set by the Delhi govt. States and below them the local govt offices go "His his, whose whose ways". Contractors do as they like.

We live after all in South Asia without proper education, discipline, and standardization.

However, you will be surprised to know one Indian company named "Dastur Engineering Consultants" (?) was a consultant in a huge Libyan Misurata Steel Mills construction project. It was appointed by the parent govt company, EBISCO.

I still hold dear the design and construction specifications for civil and architecture that Dastur compiled for this project. Not only Kobe Steel from Japan, but also a big German steel company, and an Italian company was also doing construction works there (separate sites). It was a heavily funded big project of Gaddafi.

I worked on this project for Kobe Steel for more than 13 months. After my experience with Dastur, I will not generalize Indian engineers as bad.

Not all Indian Engineers are gadhas. Though the number of 'fake talents' have grown considerably of late. The Sanghi propensity for shortcuts/lies is universal. That will never go away.
Yes you're the only genius who seems to understand this it seems:

Cement, materials standards exist in BD for decades FYI.

The problem is not these paper standards, its whether its possible to oversee every meter of construction so that no corners are cut. That is impossible to do, so you have to work on trust and accountability - both of which are stronger with international firms.

My question is if you're so concerned about standards, why did you spend dozens of posts ranting about BD firms not doing the big projects.

You've shown that you will take any position that disagrees with your party alliances.

@EasyNow bhai we all know the ground realities. Picking fights or splitting hairs over this is pointless.

Sometimes we vent our frustration because we want change in Bangladesh. I don't want to speak for @bluesky bhai but I am sure this is where he was going.

The change we want (independent in-country consultancy and construction of all projects) will never happen with Bangladeshi suwar politician mentality of getting everything done by IFC, ADB, ODA loans, who then automatically appoint contractors and consultants from their own member countries and talent pools, foregoing local ones. Maxx, Abdul Monem and Biswas Builders are very large companies, but their expertise will take time to develop, we have just started the journey to develop Bangladesh infra in earnest (hard to believe as it is).

India is a large enough country, much larger than Bangladesh and with massive amount of projects ongoing, but they too avail of IFC, ADB, ODA loans for most major projects. India's debt to GDP ratio is three times that of ours (recently exceeded 90% whereas ours is around 30%). However the number of large construction projects ongoing in India is obviously a lot larger in size, scope, complexity and number historically, so the number of locally available consultants experienced in larger projects is much greater too. They were at our stage many, many years ago and over time has become more experienced (not everywhere however). These are obvious facts.

India will always have more experienced consultants at a national level than Bangladesh, which is a given - because of these reasons.

Unlike what Sanghi a$$es claim, Indian consultants are by nationality, ethnicity (or religion!) not any more talented than Bangladeshi ones. I have seen plenty of fast talker Burbak and Ahammuk Brahmin consultants from India, even in the US.

Talent does not have anything to do with nationality, religion or go-mutra consumption. It depends on individual drive and opportunity to develop talent and that can be from anywhere.

উপরে আল্লায় আছেনা, কোনো ভুলত্রুটি হইলে সে একটা ব্যবস্থা কইরা দিবো। চিন্তার কোনো কারণ তো দেখিনা।
Er cheyeo bhalo solution ase! Muktizuddher chetona venge gura kore okhane dhukiye deyaa hok. Crack off hoye zabe!
Ajkal BAL er chetona business e bhata porese , tai onek mojut thakar kotha! :undecided:

ফ্লাইওভারের পিলারে ফাটল: ‘ভয়ের কিছু’ দেখছে না তদন্ত কমিটি
এফই অনলাইন ডেস্ক | Published: November 02, 2021 19:33:11
ফাইল ছবি (সংগৃহীত)
ফাইল ছবি (সংগৃহীত)

চট্টগ্রাম নগরীর বহদ্দারহাটে এম এ মান্নান ফ্লাইওভারের র‍্যাম্পের পিলারে ফাটলের ঘটনায় সিটি করপোরেশনের গঠিত ‘নিরপেক্ষ’তদন্ত কমিটি ঘটনাস্থল পরিদর্শন করেছে।
এ বিষয়ে ‘দ্রুততম সময়ে’সিটি করপোরেশনে প্রতিবেদন দেওয়া হবে জানিয়ে তদন্ত দলের সদস্য অধ্যাপক ড. মোহাম্মদ আবদুর রহমান ভুঁইয়া বলেছেন, “আপনারা সেখান থেকে জানতে পারবেন। তবে আপাত দৃষ্টিতে যা মনে হল, ভয়ের কিছু নেই।”
চট্টগ্রাম প্রকৌশল ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের (চুয়েট) সিভিল ইঞ্জিনিয়ারিং বিভাগের অধ্যাপক এবং ইন্সটিটিউট অব আর্থকোয়েক ইঞ্জিনিয়ারিং রিসার্চ এর পরিচালক অধ্যাপক ড. মোহাম্মদ আবদুর রহমান ছাড়া সড়ক ও জনপথ বিভাগের তত্ত্বাবধায়ক প্রকৌশলী মো. হাফিজুর রহমান এ কমিটির সদস্য।

মঙ্গলবার দুপুরে তারা যখন ফ্লাইওভারের ওই র‍্যাম্পটি দেখছিলেন, চট্টগ্রাম সিটি করপোরেশনের প্রধান প্রকৌশলী রফিকুল ইসলাম মানিকও ছিলেন তাদের সঙ্গে। খবর বিডিনিউজ টোয়েন্টিফোর ডটকমের।
গত ২৫ অক্টোবর রাতে নগরীর বহদ্দারহাট মোড়ে এম এ মান্নান ফ্লাইওভারের র‍্যাম্পের পিলারে ফাটল দেখা দেওয়ার খবর ছড়িয়ে পড়ে। রাতেই পুলিশ ওই র‍্যাম্প যানবাহন চলাচল বন্ধ করে দেয়।
এম এ মান্নান ফ্লাইওভারটি চট্টগ্রাম উন্নয়ন কর্তৃপক্ষ (সিডিএ) নির্মাণ করে। ২০১৯ সালের ডিসেম্বরে হস্তান্তরের পর থেকে এর রক্ষণাবেক্ষণের দায়িত্ব সিটি করপোরেশনের।
প্রধান প্রকৌশলী রফিকুল ইসলাম বলেন, “সম্ভব হলে আগামীকালের মধ্যেই প্রতিবেদন দিতে বলেছি। তদন্ত প্রতিবেদন পেলে সে অনুসারে ব্যবস্থা নেব।”
পরিদর্শনের পর ফাটলের বিষয়ে মতামত জানতে চাইলে তিনি বলেন, “আমাদের মতামত আমরা আগেই বলেছি। এখন তদন্ত চলাকালে মন্তব্য করা ঠিক হবে না। প্রতিবেদন পেলে আপনাদের জানাব।”
২৬ অক্টোবর দুপুরে ফ্লাইওভারটি পরিদর্শনে গিয়ে সিটি মেয়র এম রেজাউল করিম এবং চট্টগ্রাম সিটি করপোরেশনের প্রধান প্রকৌশলী রফিকুল ইসলাম ফাটল দেখে র‍্যাম্পের নির্মাণ ক্রুটি অথবা নকশাগত ত্রুটি থাকতে পারে বলে মন্তব্য করেছিলেন।
ওইদিন সকালে ফ্লাইওভারটির নির্মাণকারী প্রতিষ্ঠান চট্টগ্রাম উন্নয়ন কর্তৃপক্ষের (সিডিএ) প্রকল্প পরিচালক মাহফুজুর রহমান বলেছিলেন, হালকা গাড়ির জন্য তৈরি র‍্যাম্পে ভারী গাড়ি চলায় ফাটল হতে পারে। তবে সেদিন বিকেলে তিনি গণমাধ্যমের কাছে দাবি করেন, সেখানে কোনো ‘ফাটল হয়নি’।
পরদিন ২৭ অক্টোবর নকশা প্রণয়নকারী কোম্পানি ডিজাইন প্ল্যানিং অ্যান্ড ম্যানেজমেন্ট (ডিপিএম) কনসালটেন্ট লিমিটেড এবং ঠিকাদারি কোম্পানি ম্যাক্স গ্রুপের বিশেষজ্ঞরা পরিদর্শন শেষে দাবি করেন, ফ্লাইওভারের পিলারে কোনো ফাটল নেই, যা দেখা যাচ্ছে তা হল ‘কনস্ট্রাকশন জয়েন্ট’।
র‍্যাম্পটি হালকা যানবাহন চলাচলের জন্য নকশা করা হলেও সেখানে ভারী যানবাহন চলাচল করার বিষয়টি দুই সংস্থাই স্বীকার করেছে। তবে র‍্যাম্পের শুরুতে ‘হাইট বেরিয়ার’ না থাকার জন্য পরস্পরকে দায়ী করছে সরকারি সেবা সংস্থা দুটি।
১০৬ কোটি টাকা ব্যয়ে বন্দরনগরীর চান্দগাঁও থানা এলাকা থেকে বহদ্দারহাট মোড় পর্যন্ত ১ দশমিক ৩৩ কিলোমিটার এ ফ্লাইওভারটি ২০১৩ সালের অক্টোবরে প্রধানমন্ত্রী তা উদ্বোধন করেন।এর নির্মাণ কাজ শুরু হয় ২০১০ সালের ডিসেম্বরে। সিডিএ ১০৬ কোটি টাকা ব্যয়ে নিজস্ব অর্থায়নে এ ফ্লাইওভার নির্মাণ করে।
স্থানীয়দের দাবির নির্মিত র‍্যাম্পটি প্রায় চার বছর পর ২০১৭ সালের ডিসেম্বরে চালু করা হয়। ২০১৯ সালের ডিসেম্বরে ফ্লাইওভারটি রক্ষণাবেক্ষণের জন্য সিটি করপোরেশনকে হস্তান্তর করে সিডিএ।

Cracks seen in the flyover pillar

A 'neutral' investigation committee formed by the City Corporation has visited the spot in the incident of a crack in the pillar of the ramp of MA Mannan flyover at Bahaddarhat in Chittagong city.

A report will be submitted to the city corporation at the earliest, said a member of the investigation team, Prof. Mohammad Abdur Rahman Bhuiyan said, “You can find out from there. But at first glance, there is nothing to fear. ”

Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology (CUET) Professor of Civil Engineering and Director of the Institute of Earthquake Engineering Research. Mohammad Abdur Rahman, the supervising engineer of the Department of Roads and Highways. Hafizur Rahman is a member of this committee.

Rafiqul Islam Manik, chief engineer of Chittagong City Corporation, was also with them when they saw the ramp on the flyover on Tuesday afternoon. News from bdnews24.com.

On the night of October 25, news spread that a crack had appeared in the pillar of the ramp of MA Mannan flyover at Bahaddarhat corner of the city. During the night, the police stopped the traffic on the ramp.

The MA Mannan flyover was constructed by the Chittagong Development Authority (CDA). Since its handover in December 2019, the City Corporation has been responsible for its maintenance.

Chief Engineer Rafiqul Islam said, “I have asked to submit the report by tomorrow if possible. I will take action accordingly after receiving the investigation report. ”

Asked for his opinion on the crack after the inspection, he said, "We have already stated our opinion. Now it would not be right to comment during the investigation. I will let you know when I get the report. ”

While inspecting the flyover at noon on October 26, City Mayor M Rezaul Karim and Chittagong City Corporation Chief Engineer Rafiqul Islam saw cracks and commented that the ramp may have construction defects or design defects.
That morning, Mahfuzur Rahman, project director of the Chittagong Development Authority (CDA), the company that built the flyover, said heavy vehicles could crack on the ramps made for light vehicles. However, he claimed to the media that afternoon that there was no 'crack'.

The next day, on October 26, experts from Design Planning and Management (DPM) Consultants Limited and Max Group, a contractor, claimed that there were no cracks in the pillars of the flyover, which appeared to be a 'construction joint'.

Although the ramp is designed for light vehicles, both companies have acknowledged that there is heavy traffic. However, the two government service agencies are blaming each other for not having a 'height barrier' at the beginning of the ramp.

The 1.33 km flyover from Chandgaon Thana area of the port city to Bahaddarhat junction was inaugurated by the Prime Minister in October 2013 at a cost of Taka 106 crore. The construction work started in December 2010. CDA constructed the flyover at its own expense at a cost of Tk 108 crore.

The ramp, built by locals, was launched in December 2016, almost four years later. In December 2019, the CDA handed over the flyover to the City Corporation for maintenance.
bangalis are great engineers ,
this looks a problem of lack of supervision , when contractors are not good such problems come up .

Not all Indian Engineers are gadhas. Though the number of 'fake talents' have grown considerably of late. The Sanghi propensity for shortcuts/lies is universal. That will never go away.

@EasyNow bhai we all know the ground realities. Picking fights or splitting hairs over this is pointless.

Sometimes we vent our frustration because we want change in Bangladesh. I don't want to speak for @bluesky bhai but I am sure this is where he was going.

The change we want (independent in-country consultancy and construction of all projects) will never happen with Bangladeshi suwar politician mentality of getting everything done by IFC, ADB, ODA loans, who then automatically appoint contractors and consultants from their own member countries and talent pools, foregoing local ones. Maxx, Abdul Monem and Biswas Builders are very large companies, but their expertise will take time to develop, we have just started the journey to develop Bangladesh infra in earnest (hard to believe as it is).

India is a large enough country, much larger than Bangladesh and with massive amount of projects ongoing, but they too avail of IFC, ADB, ODA loans for most major projects. India's debt to GDP ratio is three times that of ours (recently exceeded 90% whereas ours is around 30%). However the number of large construction projects ongoing in India is obviously a lot larger in size, scope, complexity and number historically, so the number of locally available consultants experienced in larger projects is much greater too. They were at our stage many, many years ago and over time has become more experienced (not everywhere however). These are obvious facts.

India will always have more experienced consultants at a national level than Bangladesh, which is a given - because of these reasons.

Unlike what Sanghi a$$es claim, Indian consultants are by nationality, ethnicity (or religion!) not any more talented than Bangladeshi ones. I have seen plenty of fast talker Burbak and Ahammuk Brahmin consultants from India, even in the US.

Talent does not have anything to do with nationality, religion or go-mutra consumption. It depends on individual drive and opportunity to develop talent and that can be from anywhere.

Bro of course we want BD talent to be developed, but I would not trust foreign loan funded, massive national projects to be handed over to any local company yet.

Yes we lose a learning opportunity for local companies, but at least this mega bucks infrastructure that should serve us for a century will be built properly.

You mention govt corruption, is the private sector any less corrupt?

Bro of course we want BD talent to be developed, but I would not trust foreign loan funded, massive national projects to be handed over to any local company yet.

Yes we lose a learning opportunity for local companies, but at least this mega bucks infrastructure that should serve us for a century will be built properly.

You mention govt corruption, is the private sector any less corrupt?

Depending on foreign companies to build even basic bridges is a shameful and wasteful idea. But a lot more of these projects (increasing every year in size and complexity) is increasingly built by local companies like Maxx and Abdul Monem, among others. Right now with the number of mega projects and medium sized projects proceeding apace simultaneously - local large companies simply can't avail of all of them.

However I see newer companies like Biswas Builders come up and there are a slew of new companies on the scene. A lot of experienced and skilled construction people are also returning from Malaysia/Singapore and the Gulf, and these entrepreneurs are also hatching new companies. It is no small detail that most of the crane, earth-mover and heavy machinery operators in all these mega projects are Bangladeshis. That is something that all contractors, foreign and local, can avail of reasonably. With time, all will become local Insha-Allah.

I realize local private companies are corrupt, but they are so even in the US, just the nature of the beast. The bribery in the US is a lot more covert, hidden and under the table, but it does exist. Vacations are paid for, large appliances are delivered, even remote mountain retreats are built in the wife's name. Just different, but it exists.

Depending on foreign companies to build even basic bridges is a shameful and wasteful idea. But a lot more of these projects (increasing every year in size and complexity) is increasingly built by local companies like Maxx and Abdul Monem, among others. Right now with the number of mega projects and medium sized projects proceeding apace simultaneously - local large companies simply can't avail of all of them.

However I see newer companies like Biswas Builders come up and there are a slew of new companies on the scene. A lot of experienced and skilled construction people are also returning from Malaysia/Singapore and the Gulf, and these entrepreneurs are also hatching new companies. It is no small detail that most of the crane, earth-mover and heavy machinery operators in all these mega projects are Bangladeshis. That is something that all contractors, foreign and local, can avail of reasonably. With time, all will become local Insha-Allah.

I realize local private companies are corrupt, but they are so even in the US, just the nature of the beast. The bribery in the US is a lot more covert, hidden and under the table, but it does exist. Vacations are paid for, large appliances are delivered, even remote mountain retreats are built in the wife's name. Just different, but it exists.

Yes in the US there is graft but at least the building work is of standard. Here the workmanship itself is compromised. Max group, who you've mentioned a few times, is party to the failure of this very flyover.

Whatever standards the govt adopts, every level of the private and public sphere is corruptible. Which is why again and again this happens in BD.

Farming work to outside firms is not only about quality or ability, its greatly about insulating ourselves from local politics and graft.

Yes in the US there is graft but at least the building work is of standard. Here the workmanship itself is compromised. Max group, who you've mentioned a few times, is party to the failure of this very flyover.

Whatever standards the govt adopts, every level of the private and public sphere is corruptible. Which is why again and again this happens in BD.

Farming work to outside firms is not only about quality or ability, its greatly about insulating ourselves from local politics and graft.

You are correct.

Unless local politics/graft is corrected by strong govt. anti-corruption measures and publicized scandals, nothing will prevent farming work to outside firms.

I agree, the standard of the work done is far more important than supporting local firms.

bangalis are great engineers ,
this looks a problem of lack of supervision , when contractors are not good such problems come up .
You are a great philosopher from India.

Joy Bharat!!!!

Maxx, Abdul Monem and Biswas Builders are very large companies, but their expertise will take time to develop, we have just started the journey to develop Bangladesh infra in earnest (hard to believe as it is).
I have checked about MAX Group of Bangladesh. Like the other two, it is a big company. However, it is denying the responsibility for the cracks. The design consulting company was DMP (Design, Planning and Management Consultants Ltd.).

Let the authorities find out the causes of cracks and let all the engineering consulting companies in BD rectify their design procedures in the future.

However, you can rest assured that without placing a Steel Shoe in between a Pier and a Girder, similar things may happen in the future. Steel Shoes are a necessary component.

Batcher Plants are also another component of good construction practice whereby the Plant produces raw concrete as per specifications, the Concrete Mixer Machines carry it to the site and a Pump delivers it, and an Inspection company comes to do the Slump Test and make concrete cubes for compression tests after 7 & 28 days.

This is how the quality is controlled. Without these arrangements, we will be seeing more disasters in heavy construction works in the country.

However, I am happy that our Deshi companies are involved and I hope they will rectify the mistakes to build better structures in the future.

In Bharat, everyone looking for cheap stuff first - quality be damned.

Even in the case of cement, which you use once every hundred or more years to build an "Imarat".

I've been to India.

Their ongoing cost-cutting habits there amazed and amused me to no end...
No wonder you go to any construction site in india you will find Bangladeshis working there.

No wonder you go to any construction site in india you will find Bangladeshis working there.
And, with our people contributing, India has still failed to improve its construction methods. Indian laborers still carry a kg. of concrete on their heads and use ladders to go up and pour it in place.

You guys are living in the Vedic Era, no doubt!! By the way, send us a few pictures showing our BD people eating Chira/ Chura. On the contrary, your own mass media is telling 500,000 impoverished Indians are illegally working in BD.

You are a great philosopher from India.

Joy Bharat!!!!

joy bangla
bangalis are great engineers , two bangalis from dhaka were my classmates in university of roorkee , master of engineering . intelligent guys must be working in irrigation or water power department of bsngladesh , md nazrul islam and md kaid . nazrul was religious man with big beard .

And, with our people contributing, India has still failed to improve its construction methods. Indian laborers still carry a kg. of concrete on their heads and use ladders to go up and pour it in place.

I am not exactly sure what your contribution is. I have seen many Bangladeshis in this forum posting about this "Max group", as if it's some world class construction company while criticizing Indian firms like L&T. Looks like they can't even build a flyover.

Also I am pretty sure that Indian construction sites are far more mechanized than Bangladeshi ones. Even smaller worksites these days use mini cranes & mobile tower cranes.

Does Bangladesh even have a manufacturer of transit mixers, pick and carry cranes and the like? I don't think so.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom