What's new

Costs More Than a Su-57? India’s Tejas Fighter Turns Out to be Very Expensive

MWF program will further delay AMCA program. So with this new development, can I cay that AMCA will be rolled out after 2030 ?

If I am an Indian planner, I will scrap MWF program and focus on AMCA and jet engine development.
As of now, engine development is on hold since ADA decided to go with GE-414 for both MWF and AMCA

MWF is independent of AMCA since MWF is more like a larger version of LCA, with enhanced range and capabilities, larger payload, more hardpoints etc with minor changes to design like addition of canards apart from the larger overall airframe size which is why the design has been concluded within a short span

While AMCA being a 5th gen requires more research into sensor fusion, stealth coatings, advanced avionics etc and will definitely roll out around 2030

Also, it's currently unclear if IAF would go for an MMRCA 2.0 (be it additional Rafales or any other jet) but there is a huge requirement for medium weight fighters which the MWF will fulfill. I would prefer spending those funds on the MWF project instead of license producing some foreign 4th gen jet

Last edited:
MWF program will further delay AMCA program. So with this new development, can I cay that AMCA will be rolled out after 2030 ?

If I am an Indian planner, I will scrap MWF program and focus on AMCA and jet engine development.

MWF and Amca are not contradictory and rather complement one another. 4th gen aircrafts will operate well onto 2070's. They are not going anywhere.
The flight per.cost of any 5th gen AC are higher due to its ram re coating after every few flight hours, maintenance etc.. It's imperative to have a lost cost single engined.fighter to do basic day to day operations. You can't have Amca flying for every calls. We have to reach our target of 42 squadron. Need to replace Migs, Jaguars and Mig29. And need to add fighters to reach 42 squadron strength. So MWF or Tejas MK2 with F414 engine will replace those aircrafts along with amca.

How many do India need to be considered to have an operational air force?
Well we have around 200 mig21s and Jaguars of 60s vintage in our "arsenal " of 600 jets.
And our best performer is the 80s vintage mirage 2000, around 45 in numbers.
With a 2 front conflict envisaged, we have to replace atleast 300 planes immediately. These are just making up the numbers.
Now with a average availability of 60 % , IAF has around 600 x 0 .6 = 360 odd planes available if conflict breaks out tomorrow.
In comparison, the PAF has 80 odd f16s and 200 odd jf17s. So a total of 280 . I am not including the 200 mirages as they are of older generation. Cant say how useful they are. So availability could be 0.7 x 280 = 196 .
On paper India is ahead but now comes the Chinese factor.
India needs atleast 500 modern planes dedicated to the eastern front for the Chinese threat.
So a total of around 900 planes would be nice.
45 mirages
250 su30s
300 odd lca
36 rafal
40 mig29
250 stealth planes

Edited the number of planes

Well we have around 300 mig21s and Jaguars of 60s vintage in our "arsenal " of 900 jets.
With a 2 front conflict envisaged, we have to replace atleast 300 planes immediately. These are just making up the numbers.
Now with a average availability of 60 % , IAF has around 600 x 0 .6 = 360 odd planes available if conflict breaks out tomorrow.
In comparison, the PAF has 80 odd f16s and 200 odd jf17s. So a total of 280 . I am not including the 200 mirages as they are of older generation. Cant say how useful they are. So availability could be 0.7 x 280 = 196 .
India needs atleast 500 modern planes dedicated to the eastern front for the Chinese threat.
45 mirages
250 su30s
300 odd lca
36 rafale
250 stealth planes

that is not enough to subjugate Bangladesh

Well we have around 200 mig21s and Jaguars of 60s vintage in our "arsenal " of 600 jets.
45 mirages
250 su30s
300 odd lca
36 rafal
40 mig29
250 stealth planes

Edited the number of planes
There's no need to respond to a troll who tries to derail and flame-bait any India related threads

There's no need to respond to a troll who tries to derail and flame-bait any India related threads
We are in a shutdown and he is a good timepass. I don't think he is anti India.

Always cheaper to buy one than to build one, if you cannot manufacture the components & parts yourself.

Always cheaper to buy one than to build one, if you cannot manufacture the components & parts yourself.

lol, then the Chinese should stop manufacturing their crap planes, which are anyway poor imitations of Russian ones.

Anyone can put up a crappy article without knowing the factual updates. Infact, every month an article pops out that IAF is interested in the F-16 or Gripen and most recently F-18 but they're all paid articles to promote their product or agenda which also include ridiculing indigenous projects or over-bloating the costs

HAL cut down it's share of profits, outsourced most of the components which brought down the price to $42mn a pop. Even for the current Mk-1, HAL acts as the lead integrator while airframe components are built by the following companies

LCA-Tejas_Production_Partners.jpg

Now that HAL established a local supply chain and also incorporating more indigenous sub-systems in Mk-1A, that should help reduce the costs further. Also, the LCA project helped us in developing all the necessary test labs and research facilities required for aerospace development which is why the MWF design has been concluded at such a quick pace with metal cutting scheduled later this year for the initial prototypes

Except that IAF was actually interested in the F-21. Just because there is so much "indigenous" development doesn't mean the cost can't, at all, be at that.

lol, then the Chinese should stop manufacturing their crap planes, which are anyway poor imitations of Russian ones.

They build the components and everything though. Did his comment go over your head.

Back
Top Bottom