What's new

‘Constitutional Coup’ Threatened in Pakistan : HRW

‘Constitutional Coup’ Threatened in Pakistan​

Imran Khan Dissolves Parliament to Remain in Office

Patricia Gossman

Patricia Gossman
Associate Asia Director

View attachment 831006
The parliament building in Islamabad, Pakistan, April 2021. © 2021 AP Photo/Anjum Naveed

Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan’s move on Sunday to dissolve parliament rather than face a no-confidence vote that could remove him from power effectively deprives Pakistani citizens of their right to choose their government.

On April 3, Qasim Khan Suri, the deputy speaker of Pakistan’s national assembly, dismissed a no-confidence motion against the prime minister. Claiming that “loyalty to the state was the basic duty of every citizen,” and that the no-confidence move was a “foreign conspiracy,” Suri refused to allow the vote. Khan’s government then dissolved the national assembly and called for new elections in 90 days.

The move has plunged Pakistan into constitutional crisis. Under Pakistan’s constitution, the prime minister ceases to hold office if a majority of the National Assembly votes for a motion of no confidence – Imran Khan’s party appeared to have lost its majority by April 3. The action allows Khan to continue as prime minister until a caretaker government takes over, with neither a national assembly nor a federal cabinet.
Legal experts, journalists, and rights group have condemned Khan’s maneuver as an assault on the country’s democracy. Now the Supreme Court of Pakistan, which took up the matter on April 3, is the only constitutional body empowered to adjudicate on the legality of the government’s dissolution. A hearing is scheduled on Wednesday, April 6.

The situation prior to the no-confidence vote was already fraught. Government officials threatened to “blow up the opposition in a suicide attack” and called on supporters to go out and take “traitors” to task. One member of parliament from Khan’s party tweeted that all opposition members should be shot – a tweet he subsequently deleted. Senior members of Khan’s party have called for opposition members to be arrested for treason.

Imran Khan’s dissolution of parliament to prevent it from voting so that he could remain in office threatens core democratic principles. It infringes on the rights of Pakistani citizens to choose their government, which is protected under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. The government’s threatened use of violence, allegations of treason, and abrogation of the constitution are hallmarks of dictatorship, which Pakistanis have previously endured and should not have to endure again.

Looks like Human Right Watch has morphed into another clandestine support system of The Empire. Shame as the independence of these organizations are neccesary for impartial and true assesment of democratic practices around the world.

Where were HRW and Amnesty when US citizens were robbed their votes and a whole election was stolen by forces behind the scene. President Trump was the true winner of election and now he isnt even allowed to have a twitter account. Where is his right to freedom of speech as a President.

Shows you who is in control.

Last edited:
You have to prove this in any court of law.

He declared election when he had no right to do so.
That court of law which is
You have to prove this in any court of law.

He declared election when he had no right to do so.
Lol court of law what court of law eveyone knows how is the judiciary system of Pakistan is its highly compromised by pml and ppp thugs
Baat kerta hai Court of law

Well, doesn't matter now. The SC just broke the Constitution itself, basically violating article 69.

Pakistan has gone to the shitter. If IK goes down, you can kiss the remittance good bye, so expect a default soon.

You can thank the not so Supreme Court for that.

At this point, I'm now seriously considering taking my entire family out of Pakistan. Y'all are on your own, and guess what? I'm not the only one.

Well, doesn't matter now. The SC just broke the Constitution itself, basically violating article 69.

Pakistan has gone to the shitter. If IK goes down, you can kiss the remittance good bye, so expect a default soon.

Judiciary is mother of all evil in Pakistan, then comes military establishment, third is civil beaurcrates, fourth is mullah mafia, politicians comes last. Because if other aren't mofos then these politicians can't do anything most of them aren't even graduates

Why? Do Pakistanis send remittance to their families or to IK?
To families, but the issue is that a lot of the time the banks under PMLN and PPP end up taking a huge cut. Not just that, the money that comes in from Pakistani banks, there are other ways to send that money to families. Remittance has kept Pakistan's economy afloat, not by spending, but by giving banks cash to prop up their finances, including Pakistan's weak foreign exchange reserves.

There is a reason why remittance dramatically increased under PMIK, the banks were basically told to get their shit together or face consequences. Under PPP and PMLN, the amount of theft and fake fees were through the roof.

A simple example, under PMLN if I sent 100$, the banks would take 20$ by giving an artificially high exchange rate, and pocketing the change, they'd also charge high banking fees to do the transaction, when in reality they shouldn't be charging anything, or at least very little as their bank is the one receiving the cash. Under PTI, that's no longer the case, and exchange rates are extremely close to international markets.

Last edited:
How do you prove that this happened?

Seems like you do have a law. It took 2 minutes to google this :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteenth_Amendment_to_the_Constitution_of_Pakistan
It doesn't really matter. My concern is that the SC blatantly violated article 69 of the Constitution by interfering in the procedure of the Parliament. The court legally has no right to making rulings against decisions made by the speaker and deputy speaker, so while no one wants to admit it, I'll outright say that the SC has shamefully violated the Constitution.

Not just that, they've now opened up a pandora's box, and now every single ruling by the speaker and deputy speaker will now be challenged in court from now on.

After this, no one will trust the judiciary in Pakistan, except for the select few that are corrupt.

It doesn't really matter. My concern is that the SC blatantly violated article 69 of the Constitution by interfering in the procedure of the Parliament. The court legally has no right to making rulings against decisions made by the speaker and deputy speaker, so while no one wants to admit it, I'll outright say that the SC has shamefully violated the Constitution.

Not just that, they've now opened up a pandora's box, and now every single ruling by the speaker and deputy speaker will now be challenged in court from now on.

After this, no one will trust the judiciary in Pakistan, except for the select few that are corrupt.
I'm not a constitutional expert for any country. But based on what some senior Pakistani journalists have said on Indian media, this is a good judgment that upholds the constitution. I can only say that people are prone to be biased towards what they would like to happen. :coffee:

I'm not a constitutional expert for any country. But based on what some senior Pakistani journalists have said on Indian media, this is a good judgment that upholds the constitution. I can only say that people are prone to be biased towards what they would like to happen. :coffee:
It doesn't uphold the Constitution, if people actually bothered to read the deputy speaker's reasoning, they'd realize that what he did was perfectly legal. He didn't completely dismiss the NCV, he delayed it until an investigation could be completed to rule of there was any foreign interference. This is perfectly legal and reasonable, the Supreme Court didn't even bother reading his reasoning behind his decision, because most likely they already knew before hand they were going to rule against him.

What WAS illegal was the SC violating article 69, and interfering with parliamentary procedures.

It doesn't uphold the Constitution, if people actually bothered to read the deputy speaker's reasoning, they'd realize that what he did was perfectly legal. He didn't completely dismiss the NCV, he delayed it until an investigation could be completed to rule of there was any foreign interference. This is perfectly legal and reasonable, the Supreme Court didn't even bother reading his reasoning behind his decision, because most likely they already knew before hand they were going to rule against him.

What WAS illegal was the SC violating article 69, and interfering with parliamentary procedures.
If the SC did not intervene this way, would it be possible to dismiss any future government using no confidence motion? 🤔

At this point, I'm now seriously considering taking my entire family out of Pakistan. Y'all are on your own, and guess what? I'm not the only one.

I'm in the same boat, going to take the money out of Pakistan that we sent last 3 years and never going to send anything as long PPP/N-League are there in any form as a party. I know many in the business community are just sick and tired of Pakistani fiasco and have called it enough, and some on the sidelines (big money) was waiting if IK secures a 2nd term that's all gone.

I will clue you in a Private Equity run by a Pakistani based out of Texas, US was in the planning stages of raising Approx. $5-6B in cash to invest in creating a silicon valley project in Pakistan, I was privy to this deal as I had to complete the insurance side of things through Zurich Lloyd Syndicate market we can kiss this project good bye as well; on top he was planning a residential complex as well that would complement this.

The Pakistani's deserve the shit storm coming there way, cause Overseas Pakistani's have had enough.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom